Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:38 pm 

Hi Arks,
I am video'freak' and I'll never go to Kruger without my cam. Now I use a Canon XL1S. So I also can change lenses and use also my lenses for our photocamera's. Nightshot is not very important and don't count to much on the 'digital zoom'. I should NEVER use this only the obtical zoom.
It's great to watch your own trip on tv after some time.
But buying a cam only for 1 trip like Cougar????
Maybe it is possible to use a cam from friends or family. Because a trip through SA and NAmibia is really fantastic and you can make a lot of beautifull shots(also on tape!!). We are just back from NAmibia and had a greast time!!!! When we come back in Holland from 4 or 5 weeks Kruger I have at least 15 tapes to edit but I really like it.

Ruud
We go back to Kruger august 28.....with a lot of tapes.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:36 pm 

I have said this in the other thread I know! But take a video camera! You are making memories and can never go back in time to capture them again. Just capturing your own thoughts and conversations and those of fellow travellers during the trip is priceless. Buy the best you can afford - it does not have to be fancy. Twelve years ago we had very 'old' video cameras but they worked well at night with spot lights and still watch those tapes today.

The only material possessions I have a fear of loosing are our family videos and photos - things one can cannot replace!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I really find it no hassle at all taking video in the park. A useful tool is a window-mount tripod. It takes the form of a clamp which sandwiches the glass and can be panned and tilted smoothly and easily and there will be little shake. Once the cam is set up on the window mount (with lcd screen opened!), you can just sit back and watch and only need to check on the cam every now and again (this works with stationary/slow moving subjects anyway!). Our window mount has a quick-release plate so if anything moves at speed, it's just a case of unclipping it and supporting it by hand.

I don't miss night-shot at all. Actually, my camcorder does have it but it's very poor pic quality and black and white. Don't know if this is the case with all Panasonics, but I love the other features and quality of the camcorder and won't change it just for that!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:13 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Can those of you who use video cameras maybe post the model and short "review" of your camera. We are thinking of buying one for use in Kruger and general purposes and your input will help a lot in deciding. I'm not interested in making professional videos, but will like to have some quality memories.

Which would be best, normal video or a digital video cam?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:32 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I have a sony trv 147e digital video camera.

Analogue cannot be compared to digital video cams. Digital is a must. You can copy the shots over and over without loosing noticealbe quality.

Mine has 20 optical zoom, the image stabilising was lacking a bit as u saw on some digital fotos I took. The digital fotos of a vid. cam. again has no comparison to the dig. cam. again.

It has a firewire connection which allows almost direct streaming to a pc. Firewire technology has no equal, but you will have to cough up some money for a card and a cable if it is not supplied. They are not too expensive and u could get away with R300.00.

I bought my cam in 2003 when WTD was born and I never had any remorse. It is quite outdated right now and I won't be surpised if you couldn't find it on the market anymore at the rate technology improves these days.

What would I buy now? I will stick with Sony. Carl Zeiss lense, good optical zoom, small, compact, image stabiliser. There are many products on the current market matching that criteria.

Sweet and short for now, but feel free to ask further questions.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Cougar,

All I can say is that I have literally had nightmares about leaving my videocam behind!!!!

You dont have to film everything you see, I have been visiting for years and always end up with at least a 20 minute film. It is actually easier ( I am told) to take a good film than good still pics. You will definately not look stupid at all!!! As for your trip to Namibia and other Parts of SA, you will definately be happy that you bought a videocam! If you get addicted to Kruger, I doubt that this will be the last time you ever use it! The experiences you will have will be worth recording, to show your family and friends and for you to revisit, with movement and sound for years to come. Honestly, I dont think that you could spend the money on something better. Just make sure it has a stability function.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with WTM about digital video cams. Analogue (8mm, HI8, VHS SVHS) cant compare qualitywise to digital. Sony, Canon and Panasonic are all very good.
Dont forget though, in order watch your videos on TV or a PC you always have to connect your camera to the PC or TV and play through your camera. Not like with the old VHS where you could just pop your tape into the VHS player. Make sure your TV set has the "AV in" plugs. (most modern sets do) As WTM says a digital capture card (firewire) is no longer expensive and if you're using Windows XP it has a basic move editing module built in. All you have to do it plug in the firewire cable and WinXP will detect your cam and set it all up for you. You can then just watch the video or capture to your Hard drive and make a masterpiece. If you want to go further, you can put a DVD writer in your PC and write your own DVD's. The cost is now well below R1000.

As for the zoom, I would go for 20x if possible. You cant keep a camera steady at full zoom without a tripod, but a shaky closeup is better than your target being a small speck in your movie. Optical (not digital) steady shot will not remove the shakes but does smooth the movement a little.

As for whether you are going to miss out by watching the world through the lens, I think there is some truth in that, but you dont have to film everything. It must be something you enjoy doing and also enjoy watching again. (Imagine getting you clip shown on Veld Focus). DB and I must have at least 150 video tapes of holidays etc, and well, when we cant get to the Park, we can always relive on old trip on movie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:40 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I am not a camcorder at all, but you might find this page a nice start. It explains the basics, and at the bottom of that page you will find some links, like Camcorder Ratings. That page shows the ratings (obviously) as well as CCD size, Optical
Zoom, and price indication.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm also beginning to research videocams, so will also appreciate input to this thread. Perhaps we need a 'video kit parade' sticky?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:03 pm 

arks wrote:
Perhaps we need a 'video kit parade' sticky?

Good idea. Maybe one of our new moderators can arrange something?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:11 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts
Moderators: None

None, meaning the moderators cannot do anything there either. Only Admin can.

But you can post there, and making it sticky can be done afterwards...Image

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have used my video camera everytime I visited KNP. I have not found it to "interfere" with my live game viewing. As has been said you get sound as well, which is good, as long as you switch the car off :)

I have a Sony TRV820E Digital8.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
Quote:
Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts
Moderators: None

None, meaning the moderators cannot do anything there either. Only Admin can.

But you can post there, and making it sticky can be done afterwards...Image

HI DQ:

Do I recall that Bwana was moderator for this forum ? Did he resign or something? What about you for phtog moderator?? Admin, I nominate DQ as our resident photog expert!!

cheers, arks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:29 am 

Hi Arks,

Nope ... bwana is still there .. enjoying his honeymoon in the KNP ... there was a few changes for moderators to moderate on all the threads (as you know WTM has been going to Park much more lately, neglecting his moderators duty :wink: ) .. and this thread must have just been missed ... It will soon be rectified ...

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for clarifying, W@H, and holding the fort whilst WTM and Bwana are enjoying themselves in KNP. You moderators really do a fantastic job keeping things organised and the occassional glitch / oversight is understandable.

BTW, for those of us who are linguistically challenged, what's "groendakkies" ???

cheers, arks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next