View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

EricExSA wrote:
My dads first set of cams.

From your pic looks like your dad's camera must have been an old cine 8. Some of the early models had a windup clockwork drive. A single reel ran for a max of 4 minutes if I remember correctly. It's a long way from that to what we use today.

Danie It would me nice to see some of your wildlife clips

Post subject: Re: Video
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:02 pm 

Hawk wrote:
Any wildlife video enthusiasts on this forum - or do you all prefer still photography? If so, what equipment do you use?

Hi Hawk,

just like Danie, I also use Canon, but the XL1S, and I also use (sometimes) an adapter to use my lenses for the photocamera
(100-400 Canon) but not often.
I edit with PremierePro.
But it takes a lot of time to make a good film.
I never go to SA without my cam.

Ruud

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I use a Sony PC350-E DV cam. I find it physically a little small for hand held shots but the quality, while not of full broadcast standard, is certainly better than you get from DSTV. It has a host of editing features which I do not use as I find I get better facilities using Pinnacle Studio 9 as an editor. This is installed on a Pentium III 1000Mhz with 512 Mb RAM and 120G of drive space. More drive space is in the pipeline as the demand is too great.

I do also use a Pentax digital still camera.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I use the JVC GR DV-700 (digital)
this cam has a mode to take digital picks and a video mode. The picks are stored on a MMC. Its nice to have your picks on you comp so fast, but the quality of tham isnt that great. for making picks I prefer my normal photocamera. the quality of the video is good.
I use Pinnacle Studio 9 to edit my video. This I find a good program. But I takes a lot of time!!!!!!!! :cry:

grtz jaapvd.

Post subject: to video or not video?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:59 am 

Hi all,

I'm debating whether to buy a video camera for my trip to KNP in 2 months (yea, 2 months!--I remember when it was 6!). So far we will be carrying a Canon A85 digital (with some video capabilities) and a Canon film camera with a telefoto. Don't ask me what it is, my wife bought it on EBay for a good price, used.

As you've probably guessed, I'm not a big camera person yet, and will probably never be a video person. However, it would be nice to have a videocam just for this trip in case I see something really neat. Some family members actually have expressed interest in seeing any video I do take, too, and maybe I can get them hooked on Kruger! However, I'm sure that I'll never use it after this trip. I think the cheapest new vidcam would cost me around US$200--not too bad, but I can think of better ways to spend it. Maybe I could turn it around on EBay after I'm done with it.

What do you think? Do think it's worth spending the extra $ and carrying it around through Namibia and Cape Town after KNP? How often do you use your vidcam at KNP? Will I look like a weird American tourist with one? (I probably will anyway :D).

There's another alternative I just found out about. Soon "disposable videocameras" will be available in the US. They will be around $30, take up to 20 minutes of footage which gets stored on a memory card. It costs $13 more to burn it to DVD. The cam is a little bigger than a PDA, is very simple, and has no zoom (is this a BIG problem?).

I'm curious to hear what you think of this option. Do you have these in South Africa?

Thank you for your comments!
cougar

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I have always taken along my video camera and now have a nice collection of Kruger memories. Some plusses for a video cam are:

Quality of the footage
Capturing the live moments

A must for a video cam is a colour lcd display.

The video cam will always go along together with my new toy. It is in my mind absolutely neccessary.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think it's very important to take camera's with you wherever you go(even to other places), but I also think it's very important to not spend your entire holiday looking through a viewfinder. It defeats the object. I take a lot of photo's in Kruger, but I also don't take a lot of photo's.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject: video
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Cougar,
I used to video extensively in the Park. I found however that you spend so much time glued to a view finder or screen that you actually miss out on actually enjoying and sensing the scene you are videoing. I find that the relatively inexpensive digicams that have video capabilities are more than adequate in the Park, especially if you are not going to take it up professionally. You dont want more than 20-30 seconds of any one particular scene, and most digicams can handle up to 5 minutes of video footage, which is more than adequate. Rateher enjoy the park and experience everything than limit your enjoyment by trying to capture everything on video, but that is my opinion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with fevertree on the impression of viewing everything through a screen. It can be frustrating. But I still video everything, small sequences. And it's great to be able to view them and hear the kruger noises once you're back overseas. You don't get that with pictures !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Elena:

I've taken lots of stills on my 3 visits to KNP but realise that I want video as much for the sounds as for movement. I'd be most interested to know what sort of videocam you and fevertree - and anyone else who care to comment - use. I would think that the zoom and the low light capabilities would be the most critical features in choosing a videocam?

thanks, arks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Elena wrote:
I agree with fevertree on the impression of viewing everything through a screen. It can be frustrating. But I still video everything, small sequences. And it's great to be able to view them and hear the kruger noises once you're back overseas. You don't get that with pictures !

Hi Elena:

I've taken lots of stills on my 3 visits to KNP but realise that I want video as much for the sounds as for movement. I'd be most interested to know what sort of videocam you and fevertree - and anyone else who care to comment - use. I would think that the zoom and the low light capabilities would be the most critical features in choosing a videocam?

thanks, arks

Sorry arks, I can't answer that question. I don't have an own videocam and borrow one when needed ! Last time was a digital one but the time before it wasn't. I just take what's available at the time I need it. (And I'm lucky to have people who don't mind sharing around me !).
They both had a good zoom which helped! As for the low light capabilities, the last one I used had a night shot function, I found it great when it's really dark, you can see the eyes shining !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
I think it's very important to take camera's with you wherever you go(even to other places), but I also think it's very important to not spend your entire holiday looking through a viewfinder. It defeats the object. I take a lot of photo's in Kruger, but I also don't take a lot of photo's.

I agree that while it's important to have camera(s) at the ready for that special sighting, it's also important to not be always viewing through the camera. Sometimes it seems that all the memories are just in - and of - the pictures, so it's important to also have non-photographed and non-photographical memories to carry with you. While I love my memorable pix, and would never give up that part of my memories, I love even more those memories I have that were not photographable.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Elena, your input is helpful even if its not camera-specific. I'll hope others can give me more specific tips, but I had a feeling that the night shot feature would be grteat to have!

Post subject: video
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Arks,
The most important feature is an image stabilising function on the camera. If it is a digital video cam, then the optical zoom capabilities is more important than the digital zoom. The digital zoom creates a loss of clarity in the image. The night shot function is not overly important. If you go on a night drive, the spotlights used provide enough light for you to video as if under normal conditions.
Hope this helps.
I have reverted from videoing to good old fashioned photography. Find it much more rewarding and challenging to get a great photo, but if you do not get to the Park too often, thenI can believe that video is important.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Fevertree:

Thanks for that very helpful info. I've stuck with stills for 3 trips, and have lots and lots, but realise that I'd really like to have some video esp for the sounds of the bush ... as well as for 're-living' between trips. It's nearly 5 years since my last visit and I won't be able to return until 2006. Boy do I envy you living so close!! Mind you, the webcam is a great interim 'fix', but it doesn't have sounds either ... and commercial wildlife videos also aren't quite the same as pix from your own trip.

Thanks for your tips on the important features. I'm planning on a digital videocam and will be sure that it has a high-powered optical zoom and the IS feature. The best part for me is that the new ones are nice and small and fit better into my little hands. And also don't weigh so much, which is an imprtant consideration when your carry-on is filled with camera gear!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next