Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'll be interested to hear how you like it, Francois. I'm leaning a bit towards the Canon ZR300. Don't know the cmparable SA/Eur model number for this, but the ZR200 is the US version of the MV830i and the ZR300 is similar with a few more features and slightly more zoom (22x). The Panasonic's 35x zoom should be extra nice for birding, I'd guess.

I've only been comparing the videocams on line and now need to go to the mall and do some hands on comparisons :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:04 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Arks,

I report back on the camcorder after our trip. I'm still trying to figure out how to capture to the PC :redface: not that it is that important at this stage as I do not have a DVD writer in my computer and for me to be able to write an edited movie back onto the miniDV tape I'll need to purchase the additional DV cable.

The GS35 has a 30X optocal zoom (don't know why the don't name it GS30 then?).
Some handy features mentioned in the manual:
1. Wind noise reduction - when switched on is suppose to reduce the wind noise, how much it is reduced I'll have to find out. Foruantly we have some really strong winds in Cape Town area :lol:
2. Function for capturing still images while doing a live recording.
3. Capturing a still image from the miniDV tape during playback (I think most digital camcorders has this function)
3. Built in LED light but the reach is not that far
4. Joystick controller to navigate the menus makes it easy to operate the camcorder's functions with one hand.
5. It comes with 2 remote controls. One is a cable remote that operate the zoom and photo capture that will be handy when using a tripod. The other is a full function infrared remote that can operate all the functions of the camcorder and is handy when doing video play back on the TV.

The real test will come when doing some low light recording but most of these "lower end" digital camcorders produce a grainy images in low light. The main purpose we bought it for is "family movies" but also to capture our travels.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Francois. Looking forward to your report once you've used the new cam. I'm still learning to use my new DSLR, so will be looking at adding the camcorder Dec/Jan, depending on good pre- or post-Christmas sales :D , so I'll have some time to get framiliar with it before I get to SA. Hadn't noticed the wind reduction feature and can see how that would appeal for those (in)famous Cape winds :roll: :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:44 pm 

I am going for the JVC GR-DX317. Was the camera of the year
(European) 2004. Has excelent reviews in the Netherlands.A forum for users by users gave it 9.1 out of 10. Still a few months of savings ahead :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:23 pm 

bert wrote:
(European) 2004. Has excelent reviews in the Netherlands.A forum for users by users gave it 9.1 out of 10. Still a few months of savings ahead :cry:

Txs to internet i have this beauty. Nearly, must still be delivered. Bought it through internet. Watched the price.
Was fixed at 490 euros for weeks. On friday a special offer for
340 euros. I couldnt resist. But it must still be delivered. Might get a parcel with very expensive bricks :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
bert wrote:

Txs to internet i have this beauty. Nearly, must still be delivered. Bought it through internet. Watched the price.
Was fixed at 490 euros for weeks. On friday a special offer for
340 euros. I couldnt resist. But it must still be delivered. Might get a parcel with very expensive bricks :shock:

Great price, Bert!! I've never bought a camera on line, but have had good success with other things, so not to worry :lol: 8) . I've tried to find out more about this camera, but JVC uses different model numbers in the US and tho I sent them an email, no reply.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Canon ZR300. Canon also uses different model numbers in the USA (and sent a prompt reply to my email) and this is a newer version of the ZR200 (MV830i). I only want to compare it with the Sony DCR-HC32 for image (in)stability in tight zoom without a tripod. I'm pretty steady hand-holding a still camera, but video is "different" â€â€

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject: temp
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bert wrote:
Just received the JVC GR-DX317E
Wonder of technique. Fits into my hand

Had a quick peek in the book.
Has spotmetering and a few whitebalances to choose from.

Like these toys but again buttons and other hidden features to master

Ill report back on this new toy in a few weeks time

I've been trying to figure out the comparable US model for this camera â€â€

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:45 pm 

arks wrote:
Is this a 10x zoom or a 25x zoom? That may help me to narrow things down :? :D

10x
1.33 megapixel
hope this helps

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Bert, that narrows it down a bit. I'm going for something with more zoom, tho, probably the Canon ZR300, which also has a different number in Europe (the ZR200 = MV830i). Sony and Panasonic use the same model numbers worldwide, which seems to me far more sensible. Canon replied immediately to my request for the comparable model numbers. But I've had no reply from JVC :roll:

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Something I learnt the other weekend in Kruger about taking video. It might feel like you are taking a long video, but when it comes to watching, it's a lot shorter than you originally thought.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:56 pm 

Loams wrote:
Something I learnt the other weekend in Kruger about taking video. It might feel like you are taking a long video, but when it comes to watching, it's a lot shorter than you originally thought.

Very true - you cannot quickly go back and 'redo' (same with taking stills). Rather take more than you think you will need. Also take video around the camp; of your hut/campsite and the camp itself.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:17 pm 

Loams wrote:

And when saving the best parts it certainly gets much shorter :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:54 pm 

Okay...my tuppence's worth. I have no idea which cameras you guys are talking about. They may be expensive they may be not. I have a Panasonic NV-GS150 which to me was hugely expensive R7000.00. My daughter worked at the Spur (family restaurant here in SA) and bought herself a entry level Canon digital video camera. I went to Kruger and she went to Kruger without me. I edited my video and I edited her video. She had such awesome rhino footage...I had bugger all of the rhinos. So where does that leave us. Maybe it does not depend on your equipment....but on what you see and how you video it. and how you edit it. Maybe one should consider the software that you have on your pc....video footage is useless if you cannot edit it and write it to dvd. Her footage of Kruger I edited on my pc and it was truly awesome...she had obviously picked up hints and tips from mom( that is me by the way) when it came to videoing........Maybe what I am trying to say is that yes you need equipment but you also need to see it through to end...equipment is no good if you cannot produce the final product. I work with ( and fight with ) Pinnacle Studio Plus 10...not hugely expensive. When my SO watched my DVD of Kruger( he was with me by the way) it could not believe that that is what we had experienced.....he was gobsmacked.I had two and half hours of raw video footage and my DVD ended up being less than 1 hour. I added background music and chopped out and fiddled like you won't believe . The result...everybody that sees that DVD wants to go to Kruger.
So I think what I am trying to say is buy whatever equipment you can afford to buy...at the same time do some research on videoing and make sure you can get your footage on to DVD...well worth the effort ........as I said in the beginning this is my tuppence's worth.

Post subject: Taking a Camcorder to Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:15 pm 

Hi

Is it worth bring a camcorder with me? I haven't got one yet was going to buy one for my trip!

I was talking to a mate & he thought it wasn't worth it because the animals don't move around that much, but he didn't go to KP.

I also have at the back of my mind that the main reason for my trip is for photography.

I went to Finland earlier this year to photograph European brown bears & would have loved to have some footage as you don't always capture this in a photograph, so this is my reasoning behind my thoughts.

Phil

I'd like to hear what thoughts others have on this?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For 15 of the 20 years coming to the Park I was a video man. I then converted to digital photography - but as much as I love the results, video still captures some special aspects. Notably sound and several occasions where movement was the main event.

Weight of kit is a real problem but now that HD videos are at a reasonable price I might try to take both in the future. And I think if I was just starting out I would probably start with video.

Richard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next