Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hi
I'm going to kruger and i need a whole lot of tips to photograph nicely
so please help me
ossendryver

Post subject: Re: photography tips
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 am 

There are plenty of great tips in this topic, so take a few minutes to browse.

A few tips that I can give.

1. A beanbag is essential. My first trip to the park I didn't have a beanbag, and it shows in my photos. Make sure you have a large beanbag for stability. Also, if you have a remote trigger, use it.
2. Turn off the engine when shooting. Vibrations from the car will ruin any photo.
3. Leave when the gate opens and return when it closes to take advantage of the best light in the day.
4. I prefer to shoot in aperture mode when shooting wildlife, but whatever mode you shoot in, be sure to know your camera well so you can adjust settings quickly. Lighting conditions can change quickly.
5. Remember not to cut off feet. I've done that far too often.
6. Remember the rule of 3rds. Also, if your subject is looking in a particular direction, be sure to give them a little space to look into.
7. Focus on the eyes. If you are using a larger aperture you may get the body in focus, but the eyes slightly out of focus.
8. Be aware of your background. I have too many photos that would be great, but have an ugly white sky in the background. Move around a bit to fix your background if needed and possible.
9. Think ahead. If an animal is moving, you may have to get ahead of it to get a great shot. Think of where it might come out of the bush and onto the road. I'm not always right, but doing this has given me many rewarding shots. (Be sure to be courteous to others and not ruin the sighting)
10. Have plenty of memory cards. I prefer smaller memory cards...if the worst happens and the card becomes unreadable...better to have 2 2-gig cards and only lose one than to have one 4-gig card and lose everything. Always be aware of how much space is on the card in your camera, and have another one handy in case it is needed.
11. When taking a lot of pictures at one sighting, be sure to frame the picture differently sometimes. You may get home and like how one was framed and not like another way you framed it.
12. Shoot in RAW. This will give you more flexibility in editing photos when you get home.
13. Be courteous to others. Don't hog a special sighting if there are limited spots to view a great sighting. I had one traffic jam at a lion sighting last year that several cars took turns being the lead car as the lions moved. After the sighting was over, I was able to meet some very nice people.

Last edited by skywalker2251 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

thank you so much
these tips are amazing.
they are so simple but yet so effective
thanks
ossendryver

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Skywalker has done a very good job of listing ALL the more essential tips! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Just one thing that I would advise is if you can try and familiarise yourself with shooting RAW files if you can especially if you intend editing pics when you get home. Makes a big difference :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 pm 

oddesy wrote:
Just one thing that I would advise is if you can try and familiarise yourself with shooting RAW files if you can especially if you intend editing pics when you get home. Makes a big difference :thumbs_up:

Agree 100%. I completely forgot that one.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am not sure what equipment you are using, but one thing to be aware of is the wind/breeze. The heat from your car can be blown across your field of view, ruining a great pic with seemingly out of focus shots. Not much you can do about it, be aware of it. If possible I always try an position myself so that the sun is coming across my shoulder or back. Once again not something you have control off as the animals choose the side of the road the are on. Have a great time.

KTP: 09 Dec 2012 - 18 Dec 2012