Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laptops and post processing
Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:01 am 

I need some advice on getting a laptop that would be used almost exclusively to manage and post process my photos. Can anybody help with minimum and recommended specifications? Mainly in the graphics and processing power department, I'll be using external hard drives in addition to whatever built in drive it has.

Any experiences good or bad would be nice to hear.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Laptops and post processing
Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:28 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Graphics... This is going to be a somewhat more expensive laptop....

You will need quite a bit of screen estate, so at least a 17 inch screen. One which you can calibrate with for instance the Spyder.
It should not be too reflective, so a glass or plastic front on your screen will probably remove quite a few possible laptops from your list.

As for the graphics and processing power... You have options there, but in my view you don't have to bother about them too much. All the higher end laptops, which you will choose due to the screen estate, have enough power.
Just make sure you have 4 GB ram in the machine, that helps most.
There are plenty laptops now with an SSD instead of conventional harddisk. As you will be using external harddisks that's a choice you can make. It'll make for a more expensive, but very fast machine.

I'm assuming that you'll be using Lightroom, which means that you can have a look at both Windows and Mac laptops. The latter will probably be the best choice, but again, that's more expensive.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:03 pm 

If I could have a laptop just for photos... It'll be a Mac... I don't know them that well and haven't worked on them much, but man they are nice for any graphic type work!

I still use my 3-year old HP Laptop: 17" screen and 4GB of Ramm. I use Nikon ViewNX, Capture NX and Adobe Photoshop CS4 simultaneously and have now worries (Still a Dual Core 2GHz processor).

Anything like or better than that will do. I agree, with the screen, mine does not refelect and I calibrate it every once in a while.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:38 am 

so the advice I seem to be getting from a lot of people is to get a Mac. Now as a PC user my whole life I know very little about them except that there used to be compatibility issues with PC's. so my question is whether that is still the case or can any of the data I have on my desktop at the moment be put onto a mac?

Also I have Photoshop Lightroom, will I be able to install the same copy onto a mac or would I need a different version that is specifically for the mac?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:26 am 

Would definitely only look at something with an I5 or I7 processor, depending on the amount you willing to spend, then there is SwitchBack’s suggestion Mac, graphics are awesome on these machines.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

bazzlewazzle wrote:
So my question is whether that is still the case or can any of the data I have on my desktop at the moment be put onto a mac?

Yor data can be accessed by the Mac without trouble. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a Mac!
bazzlewazzle wrote:
Also I have Photoshop Lightroom, will I be able to install the same copy onto a mac or would I need a different version that is specifically for the mac?

The latter. But as you already have Lightroom you can just download the Mac-version, and install it using the same serialnumber. (I think.)
The new version of Lightroom (3) is a lot faster than the previous versions. Even on the tiny little pc we have at home (1 Ghz, 256 MB memory) it runs fine, if you have some patience.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I had a look at the laptop issue for post processing a short while ago and the advice I got from the pro shops was definitely the mac route and as I understand the new macs are able to handle both microsoft and mac compatable files Im using a a Dual core IM7 machine with led screen calibrated with spyder pro3 and it flys along with nikon canon and photoshop software, linked to a 19" samsung screen, mac is next project

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:39 pm 

Currently I use a netbook (Acer Aspire One) as an on-the-spot photo downloading platform. In this role it is ideal doe to it's small size, relatively fast data handling, it is compact (half the size of an A4 page when closed) and so easily transported and it is very affordable. It is also packed with features depending on the model. Drawbacks are the very small screen size, and lack of a CD drive (solved by purchasing an inexpensive external CD drive).

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Interesting topic,
well I work all day with graphics and on both Windows (16 BIT) and Mac system.
Both work great and do exactly the same things and mostly give out the same printed results.
It really boils down to personal preferences and the main advantage of the Mac's is that it is less complicated in most of it's functions. Software like Photoshop was originally created for Mac's and while functioning perfectly on Windows it still has something different on a Mac and is generally faster.
Are you interested in a Windows based machine, cost 1000 Euro, that will do a job in 20 seconds or another one, Mac that will do exactly the same thing, cost 1800 Euro, in 17 seconds??

Ranred, I travelled to KNP last year with my Acer Aspire One and must say it's one of the best when travelling.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 pm 

RUMURUTI wrote:
Interesting topic,
well I work all day with graphics and on both Windows (16 BIT) and Mac system.
Both work great and do exactly the same things and mostly give out the same printed results.
It really boils down to personal preferences and the main advantage of the Mac's is that it is less complicated in most of it's functions. Software like Photoshop was originally created for Mac's and while functioning perfectly on Windows it still has something different on a Mac and is generally faster.
Are you interested in a Windows based machine, cost 1000 Euro, that will do a job in 20 seconds or another one, Mac that will do exactly the same thing, cost 1800 Euro, in 17 seconds??

I couldn't have put it better myself. Rumuruti has got it spot on :thumbs_up: