Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Nico :thumbs_up:
I will view your gallery again :dance:

Post subject: Canon 40D focusing screens
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Im wanting to get more dof in my pics with my 100-400 and when using the 1.4 converter which means more manual focusing has anyone used the alternate focusing screens and do they make a difference as I battle to manual focus with my standard factory screen.

Post subject: Re: Canon 40D focusing screens
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi wingman,

I can't say that I've tried alternative screens, but I think they tend to be a similar matte surface with the additions of composition aids such as horizontal and vertical grid lines. This in itself won't really help in manual focussing.

Does your 100-400 autofocus with the 1.4x converter on when the aperture is wide open? If so, one option might be to autofocus at your lowest available f-stop, flick off the autofocus and close the aperture to increase your DOF before snapping away. Bit of effort involved, but it might work??

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Many thanks, someimes it will autofocus but on most occasions not, Im getting conflicting info from the suppliers on the screens there appears to be 3 options. 1st is a grid which I dont need, 2nd is a very fine version of the standard screen which is apparently clearer and the 3rd which I cant confirm is a split focus screen. All are available for to higher level camera's but not so sure for the 40D.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi wingman,

Done a little bit more research and I think you're right - there are 3 different focussing screens for the 40D:

"Ef-A Standard Precision Matte Screen: Is the standard one that came with your camera and provides good viewfinder brightness and enables easy manual focus.

Ef-D Precision Matte with Grid: same as above but with the grid which is very useful for landscapes for example or where you wish to align your images better.

Ef-S Super Precision Matte Screen: Makes manual focusing easier than with the standard screen and is excellent for wide aperture lenses 2.8 and faster. Great for someone who likes to manual focus, especially in low light with faster lenses."

So it sounds as though the Ef-S would be the one to try.

One other strange-sounding thing to try is to autofocus using any of the AF points other than the central one, and see whether you get any improvement in autofocus ability. The reason is because the central one does a bit of work in figuring out best contrast levels, and that might be interfering with the focussing ability/speed.