SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Which camera?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone.

I need help.We don't have a camera only a handycam.Last night I spoke to my dad and said that I think that pictures are better than a movie.My girlfriend has a camera I took it with once and she took it with our last trip but it doesn't take satisfying pics.If the animals dont walk infront of you you cant get a nice shot.Most of the pics I can enter in spot the animal.Even at like 10m away it cannot zoom in enough.Guess it is designed to take pics of people.

Ok now I want to know:What camera must I buy that I can use to take a photo of say a LIT 40m away that I actually can see.Can I start with a camera and standard length and later upgrade the lens?What must I do?And I dont have R30 000 for just a camera(Im still studying)

Any help plz PM me anything!Maybe we can arrange a get together at a camera shop coz those guys I dont understand what they trying to tell me.Just want plain afr or even eng!

I stay in Johannesburg SA!

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Last edited by big5spotter on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Which camera?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:20 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

A first question: what are you looking at? A lot of compacts have really impressive zoomfacilities, and are easy to lug around.
Or are you starting on what will prove to be a very expensive hobby?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well if I start and I like it may start an expensive hobby.If I see a LIT next to the LS river I want to be able to take a pic of it up close.Say like zoom in and take a pic of the head! :doh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:45 pm 

For a beginner I would say Canon 450D or the Nikon D60 with mmm at least 300mm worth of glass in front this shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. If you then find that you are really into photography you can start looking at longer glass.

The thing to remember is that you buy into a system here if you look at Canon you are most probably going to stick with Canon for a long while since exchanging to say Nikon after a year or two is going to cost you a arm, leg and at least a kidney and lung :p

I would visit a shop and feel the two different systems out find out what fits and what you like don't worry to much about all the bells and whistles like live view etc.

For shots like you are planning you are talking big expensive glass. At least 500/600 prime lenses...

Last edited by Scout on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So should I rather spend money on a camera and upgrade the lens?I spoke to a guy once he said rather buy a good camera and get what you want than to buy a camera and then when you start taking pics it was not really what you were looking for!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm 

The rule is the glass makes the photo, So you can buy a decent second hand body and get much better glass. And don't shy away just because the body is second hand I have had great bodies that I bought second hand.

The thing is the body can only do so much it is the lens you put onto the body that determines how good your photos will look.

I would also suggest looking at something like Outdoorphoto where you can get good deals and even better advice :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:55 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Nope, start with a good lens, and if need be an iffy camera!
You'll upgrade the camera every X years, but if you have a good lens it'll last you a lifetime!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The same guy also said buy a 2nd hand body and lens.So what?if I buy a body and a starter lens and save up can I just buy a better lens and put it on the same body?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

This is how i started.
Still only buy second hand bodies

The thing is?
Are you going to make 500 images each week or just on holidays
If its holidays a good second hand will do fine.
And a second hand lens from a quality shop with guarantees

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well only on holidays and when there is a need at home.I am thinking of 2nd hand ok but what do I need to buy then?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:30 pm 

I would look at Canon 400/450D or the Nikon D60 I just feel that either of these bodies will be great for you when you are just starting off.

Second hand glass isn't bad either just remember the D60 doesn't have a Auto Focus motor on the body you will need lenses with a build in AF motor not a big problem today anymore.

Like I said before go to a shop and ask if you can handle each of these bodies and then decide it is the only real way of doing it. As the camera needs to be comfortable in your hands :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:34 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Hedrus (outdoorphoto) is situated in Pretoria, and quite willing to help out. On his forum you'll find secondhand lenses and bodies too, and he knows about them...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:46 pm 

Go and see Hedrus at Outdoorphoto - his shop is basically next to the Menlyn shopping mall in Pretoria. He will give you the best advice guaranteed!! You will also get some coffee, meet the friendly girls, able to handle camera's and lenses - go there before buying anything!

Lenses are the most important piece of equipment. Rather buy good quality lenses that will last you a lifetime. To get a head shot of a Leopard you will have to get lots of mm and that's going to cost serious money.

It might be your best bet to go for good quality second hand equipment at this stage and i'm sure Hedrus can help with this. Be prepared for an expensive hobby. You will need more than just a camera and lens. Things like memory cards, cleaning kit, beanbag, etc. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I went to a shop earlier and looked at the Canon 450D with kit and standard lens was R9200 and the Nikon D60 plus a 18-55lens and kit for R6600 and the lady said she would rather recommend the Nikon.Ok so would it be good to buy a 2nd hand nikon and then get a good lens?size of the lens?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What type of photos can I expect with a Nicon D60 and a Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM?