Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which camera?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:38 pm 

TonyT.........many thanks for the insight.

DuQues......I love macro shots. I have the Raynox DCR250 macro lens which is superb! Now I am into those telephoto shots.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:58 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Ranger Grant
Just visited your website
And you proved that its not only glass but the light as well :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 pm 

Thank you Bert,

I truly believe in good glass and as you said good light, you dont need the most expencive equipment to get good wild life images.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 pm 
Hi,

For what its worth, lens lens lens! got a 450d and recently a 1000d for the wife. taking pics with both cameras with the same lenses, results are soo close its scary, and nothing that couldn't be 'tweaked' in photoshop to make them look identical either. 450d was nearly double the price when i bought it compared 1000d . only problem with the entry level cameras is the autofocus speed. but the only time i had a problem with that was taking pics at a1gp, but dont know too many animals that will approach you in the park at 250 km/h?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:09 pm 

At the end of the day it does make one wonder doesn't it. The camera that I mentioned previously being a DSC-H7 compact, I am just amazed at the photographs that I have seen on the Flickr site. Permission given. Although the birds are obviously not deep in the bush nor far off, which is what one would want something like the 100-400mm lens for - a really nice photograph can be attained by a simple compact camera at 15x zoom.
It is hard to see the difference between this and other more expensive cameras and lenses.......I think. My hubby tends to disagree with me though. :) :whistle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63348497@N ... otostream/

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

What you see is the skill of the person making the photos. Or the skill they use with cropping in a nice way.
Those photos are tiny compared to the original, and being made smaller look sharper.
While compacts definitely are good these days, they are a far cry from a DSLR with a good lens.
The sensor is smaller, which means more noise, more fringing etc. The lense is not of the same quality either, also due to the small size.

Well, put it this way, I agree with your hubby. However, if you feel a good compact fills your needs...
Wait till the gallery from the competition opens. You'll see that many compacts almost outshot the DSLR's!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:06 pm 

Evening DuQues.......just to make my life more complicated to see more outstanding shots from compacts hey...........ha!! :doh:

Please let me know when this comes up as I would love to view them.

I am still going to buy the 450D and quite possibly the lens that you recommended 100-400 as I can imagine just how versatile it is.

I want that DSLR. It has to be more fun.

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:05 pm 

Hallo there,
Just to update: I got the 450D Canon and am very impressed.
I am only just beginning to 'know' my camera and enjoying it.
I was about to buy the 100-400mm L series at a pretty good price (outdoor photo) but tried it out in a shop first - and found it to be far too heavy (for me).......and my hubby was correct in saying I would become extremely frustrated with the heaviness of it (he knows me well). Although I know it is a great lens and would have taken great pics - and an added advantage with a tele-converter.........I just couldn't handle that weight.

We bought the 70-300mm IS (not even DO as reviews on it were not sufficient for me to say it was worth paying double). I am once again very pleased with this lens, and reviews were good. I feel comfortable with the weight as well.

My Raynox DCR250 macro clips on to the end of the telephoto and takes fantastic shots as well, and even clearer and larger than life than with my Kodak.

Next question: Is a 1.4 TC worthwhile for this lens? How would you rate the photos in good light? It's not a big deal if I don't go for a tele-converter, but now and again I may enjoy having one, and so, would welcome comments and photographs from anyone who has the same lens as me and a 1.4 t-con.

Thankyou so much for your help.

Carole
:D 6 months til Kruger :mrgreen: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm 

I use a Pentax K100D with a Sigma 70-300 mm zoomles.
For the longer range I also use a 2X TC, but then I have to focus manually.
It takes a little getting use to, but the pictures are just great.

The best choice is a not to expensive DSLR camera body and buy the best lenses that you can buy for your money and just "play" with your camera as much as possible. That will improve our skill greatly.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:06 pm 

In regard to my previous question, I forgot to ask that if it is worthwhile in getting a t-converter, then which make would be best suited for the Canon and the 300mmIS lens.

Many thanks.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:10 pm 

Hi Carole,

In regards to your PM here are a few photo's shot with the K100D and the 300mm and a 500 mm lens. Bear in mind that I just had the combo for a few weeks.

300mm +2xtc

300 mm + 2xtc

500mm + 2xtc

500mm + 2xtc (but still to far away)

All of these photo's are not edited in any way

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 pm 

Hi there,

Thank you so much for posting the pics. I appreciate it very much.
I think that the t-con is worth buying, seeing your photos. I will take a look at the 1.4 converter though.

I'd like the Canon but apparently it does not fit onto the 450D..............but I will find out about that at Cameraland.

Again, thankyou so much. :cam:

Carole

Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:42 pm 

Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:46 pm 

Hi there,

Ops - I forgot to add my little note to the above pic.

Just wanted you all to take a peek at my first bird in the tree with the 70-300mmIS Canon lens. No edits - no sharpening - just some cropping to show off the bird a little more. Yep - I know the 400 'L' would have been sharper, but my arms would have been falling off!

Next - will be a lens for night shots. Something like the Canon 85mm f1.8 ? It seems to have some good reviews and nice night shots without flash.

:cam:

Carole

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:20 pm 

Well, I guess it had to come didn't it. I got a Canon 400L prime lens this morning - great price for a second hand one - practically new from the ODP shop. Can't wait to use it in Kruger. My 70-300IS will be used as a walkabout - still a nice lens, but the 400L prime definitely has the edge. :wink: