Skip to Content

DSLR Advice Needed

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: This one or the other...

Unread postby DuQues » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:43 am

That means that the glass inside the lens changes position to focus, not the length of the lens itself. This is very important with for instance macro photography.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you do not want the front of the lens to rotate when zooming or focusing. If you have for instance a polarising filter attached a rotating front it is irritating to say the least.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bentley

Unread postby bentley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:16 pm

:wink:, so a lense of the likes is much easier to use than others ?
Life is what we make of it..we can not control what happens in our life but how we handle it.

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Yep!

Narrowing down your choice(s) by now? :wink:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bentley

Unread postby bentley » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Getting there DQ, thanx to friendly advice and comments :wink:
Life is what we make of it..we can not control what happens in our life but how we handle it.

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

XingYiRen

Re: Equipment question?

Unread postby XingYiRen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:36 am

Well thank you all again for your advice. :D

I ended up just taking just the 70-200 f2.8 for wildlife.

This decision was more or less forced on me by weight restrictions on the airlines and in retrospect the range worked well.
Missed a few for reach problems but....that was hardly surprising.

Unfortunately the autofocus on the lens was only working intermittently, which rather limited the number of keepers. :wall:
The problem was fixed on goodwill by Nikon on my return home but that unfortunately dosen't give me my pics back. :(

I am now scheeming on how to return next year, 8) , for a two week self drive to get my revenge.

Would November be OK?

Sorry for the late response.

Post edited to remove image URL's that were not displayed!! :(

Unintentional rule violation???

Phil

OK new try to post images:

OK it's working now. :D
Previous try was posting from a private gallery!
Thought they would display sice I have access. :doh:
Last edited by XingYiRen on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:47 am

Eh... I can't see the photos, not even when copying the link to smugmug?

XingYiRen

Unread postby XingYiRen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 pm

DuQues wrote:Eh... I can't see the photos, not even when copying the link to smugmug?

Sorry DuQues! My bad!

Raptor142

Unread postby Raptor142 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi - I'm fairly new on the forums so just saw your posts now.

My advice would have been .... bring as much equipment as you can (cull the additional clothing, shoes, etc) - I wear maybe two pairs of pants on a 10 day trip to KNP in summer, washing them on alternate days and three pairs of underpants (the extra pair is for cleaning lenses in emergencies... :mrgreen: ).

Seriously though - I don't care how reliable your kit is... if you have a backup, take it ...... even Toyotas break down in Africa and even if you've had 100 trouble-free trips, 101 might present that award winning shot just as your mirror hangs or a PC contact loses contact ....

November is a great time - some of the first rains might have fallen by then, so you will probably have a bit more greenery than in Winter, but animals will still be congregating at waterholes as the rivers will not yet be in full flood (I think this is going to be a wet year though, so this standard rule might not be so applicable)... And you will be ahead of the local school holiday rush .....

Having said that, you will note that on someone's signature there is the very true statement that " a bad day in Africa's bush beats any great day in the office" (sorry for the slight misquote), so even if you miss the shots, you will still be able to relax and ENJOY.

GREAT SHOTS from the last trip
Man's future may look brighter if he spent less time trying to outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority:(EB White)(adapted)

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Raptor142

Unread postby Raptor142 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Oh, and if you don't have time to practise at home, bring the kit and practise in camp after the gates close, or at midday when viewing is not as good :thumbs_up:
Man's future may look brighter if he spent less time trying to outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority:(EB White)(adapted)

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

XingYiRen

Unread postby XingYiRen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks Raptor142! :D

Marak

SLR advice needed

Unread postby Marak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi, I'm going to Tamboti on 6 March for two nights, and then to Lower Sabie for 7 nights on my own.

The reason for this visit is because I bought a Canon 1000D SLR, it is my first SLR, and would like to really get to know it during this time. I have the standard 18-55mm lens, and is borrowing a Canon EF 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 IS USM STABILISER lens as well.

I know absolutely nothing about photography, besides what I've found online in the last two weeks... and the information is a bit overwhelming.

If there is any advice about a good book to buy for wildlife photography, or the basic things that I should try to get under the belt first/look out for/focus on, please post a reply!

Thank you all in advance - although I don't really post, I read the forums (and until recently Martie's blog) everyday!

saraf

Re: SLR advice needed

Unread postby saraf » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am

Hi Marak, welcome to the forum and welcome to a pretty obsessive hobby.

I'm going to give you some links which you might find useful.

We have some fantastic wildlife photographers on the forum and you can find some of their work in these 2 links.
www.sanparks.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=29
www.sanparks.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=92
There are a few tutorials in there that will help you

And now a few external sites that I have found useful. {Mods, if not allowed let me know and I'll stick them in a PM}

forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031&/canon-eos-1000d-500d-300d-forum/
www.outdoorphoto.co.za/cms/
www.treknature.com/

But the 2 most important things are:

1. Know your camera
2. Practice, practice and practice. Then practice some more.

I'm sure others will add their own thoughts here as well.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:56 am

Hi Marak

Enjoy photographing wildlife -- it is a fantastic excuse to do what you want to do anyway! Read all the tips etc, but don't make a pain of yourself -- your family may get bored if you sit for hours waiting for something to happen!

In the end, the memories are wonderful -- in winter I sit in front of my computer and let the screensaver take me on the most marvellous trips while I relax and dream...

God bless,

Friedrich von hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

shortcourse

Unread postby shortcourse » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Marak

Don't bother too much using the 18-55mm - for the most part you will use the 70-300mm. You should be able to get some decent pics with it. What's nice is it is a zoom lens so you will be able to capture shots from both next to the road to in the bush.

What I would suggest is set your ISO at 400 which will enable a fast shutter speed, and set the camera to AV and then keep the shutter as wide open as possible so shoot at f4 or f5.6 when shooting at 300mm. Don't bother using the automatic function unless you go on a night drive in which case it might be better to use that function until you get more used to the camera

And take lots of shots!

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gmlsmit » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:17 pm

I am a Nikon and Pentax man, however my opinion is that Canon manufacture very good photographic equipment.

My advise is buy the best your budget will allow you to, do not purchase anything cheaper now with the intention of upgrading later, rather save a bit longer and get the best.

A bean bag is a must have, many tripods still cause a shake, should you buy a tripod get something really steady, take you camera and your longest lens to a dealer and try out the tripods available using a low shutter speed, should you be satisfied with the results get the opinion of the dealer and then make yoyr purchase.

A rule for using telephoto/zoom lenses is your shutter speed should at least match your focal length, e.g. 250mm = 1/250th of a second 300 mm = 1/300th of a second and 500mm = 1/500th of a second.

ISO settings up to 400 are good for digital photography, however lighting requiring a setting of 1600 and getting a photograph is much better that getting a badly underexposed one at 200 or 400.

I have much success in setting my settings on Aperture priority, the camera will determine the best shutter speed.

Never ever set your camera at Automatic and then expect good results, all you will get is just another photograph.

Then also remember the golden hours up to two hours after sunrise and maybe ninety minute before sunset untill too dark. The in between priods give you very hard lighting conditions.

Also remember as earlier posted practise - practise - practise, no photographer has 100% perfect photographs, take more than one photograph of each scene, one will always be better than the other. If your success rate is better than 15% regard yourself as extremely fortunate.

When editing or reviewing your shots be ruthless and very critical, do not just keep photographs for entimental reasons as your computer/SD card will soon be runningout of space.

Enjoy your trip and show us some of your successes. :)
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”