Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: To upgrade or not? dx or fx
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:44 am 

I have a nikon D90 with the 18 to 200mm VR lens. I am thinking of upgrading to either the D7100 or the D610. Thinking of the D 7100 because of the 1.3 crop which translates to a longer telephoto. Just heard that Nikon has announced the D750 FX. Confusion, confusion. Any advice out there?

Post subject: Re: To upgrade or not? dx or fx
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 pm 

Yusuf, as usual, a valid answer to your question is... it depends. depends on your budget and depends on your main focus of photography. If your prime use is for wildlife, then it is a no-brainer to go for the D7100, but if it simply general photography, with some wildlife thrown in for good measure, then the D750 is a better option. Either way, you are going to have to upgrade your equipment in the lens department in order to get the best out of any body you decide on. Your 18-200 will simply not do justice to either body. Both have 24MP sensors, but given that the D7100 is a crop-body, any bad technique and/or camera movement will be compounded on this body, and low-light photography will simply not be as good. All indications are that the D750 will have a better low-light capability, given the size of its pixels compared to the pixel size on the D7100. Insofar as reach is concerned, the lenses you will require for the D750 will have to be longer than the lenses required for the D7100 if you wanted to get the same field of view, but you do have the benefit of a 24MP sensor, which should allow for a reasonable amount of cropping to take place on images from either camera.

Personally, I use a D7000 and a host of different lenses, but few are at professional level. If I were in your position, I would first upgrade my lenses to a professional-level quality, and use the benefits of the D90 - you will see a major difference to the quality of your images - and I would do this BEFORE you spend money on a new camera body that simply cannot be exploited to its full benefit with the lens you currently have. I would suggest that you DO NOT throw good money after bad, by upgrading your camera, without upgrading your lenses.... and clearly, the lenses you purchase will depend on its intended uses....

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 pm 

Thank you Scottm. Should I preferably invest in a nikon 70 to 200 f2.8 and use with the D90 until such time I can upgrade to a FX body or the D7100?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:50 am 

Take your camera into a good camera store to test any lens before you buy. If they do not let you test a lens before you buy, find a different store.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 is a beast of a lens and probably one of the best zooms that Nikon makes. It is the pinnacle of lenses in this range, and will probably last you a lifetime if you look after it, but it is very expensive. (Did I mention that it was expensive for what you get?).... If I could afford it, without forgoing other stuff I require, I would. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, rather take a step back and go through the focal lengths you require to achieve your photographic objectives, AND the quality/depth-of-field requirements to achieve that objective. Such an exercise will also help you determine whether to remain with DX or upgrade to FX.

Each to his own, but I would want to cover the full range in the fastest zooms possible, but simply cannot justify the required cost outlay for my hobby. My preferences (and budget) may be very different to yours. For example, given the improved ISO capabilities of the new cameras, instead of the f/2.8 model, I would consider the relatively new 70-200 f/4 VR, which is smaller and lighter (and less outlay) than the f/2.8 model. What about rather adding a 300mm f/4 for bird and distant wildlife and continue to use the 18-200 until you do upgrade? Note that your 18-200 will not be suitable for any FX camera, so you would have to update that focal range when and if you move to FX. What about starting with a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime and see what difference a good quality (and fast) lens could make to your D90 images? Just because there are new camera models available does not make your D90 any less capable.

Yusuf, I could help you spend thousands of $$$$, but you need to take an objective look at your specific needs and build up your equipment as required to cover those needs. GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is a problem that some of us suffer from, and this can (and in my case, has) become a serious wallet-depleting disease.

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:13 pm 

GOD bless you for your advice. I have a limited budget and the f2.8 is very expensive. I take family photos and an average of 12000 to 15000 shots in the KNP every year. So wildlife and family photos is my primary use for the camera. I am going to look into the f4 300mm. Hope you don't mind that I pester you every now and then for your valuable advice.