SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: beanbag
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:12 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Shutterbug wrote:
I would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts, modifications or questions, as I said I have not used this in the park yet.

Try it near a kiddies zoo, pond, whatever you have available near you. You're shooting digital so cost is not a barrier, even if you make photos of passing dogs or pidgeons.

Look for two things, the speed with which you can move it from one side of the car to the other, and more importantly, can you let the camera rest on it?
It's rather flat on top, so you can't bang a hollow for your lens into it.
I have been at a cheetah sighting, shooting away with in one hand a beer, and in the other my remote. Totally comfortable, and the camera just resting on the beanbag.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:02 pm 

Thanks Josh :)

Hi Massimo, I am using the Canon 100-400 and a 1.4x extender on occasion, the lens has image stabilization so I can get away with a slight bit of instability, a big thing for me is space so I was looking for a compromise between a nice big stable platform like yours (page 5) and say a pool noodle type thing. I have heard a lot of good things about your sigma 170-500, have a great weekend... OMG I am so :mrgreen: about you guys that can just "pop" into the park for a weekend.

Hi Duco, Okay, I have just tried it, its "ok" there is no way I can could do the hands free thing, but I am going to make a MkII, (beer in one hand and remote in the other is what I am programmed for) instead of the 3 tubes it is going to be two tubes (for the base, that works great) and a traditional type beanbag on top, in fact I have just thought that I could fill the bottom with rice and the top with a light product, that way I could have a fairly large bag on top... I will take pics of the MkII when I am done

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I read somewhere in this thread or elsewhere in the lists of a forumite who used a pool noodle. I took an old poodle noodle which has a hollow centre, cut off 2 pieces about 38cms long and then took a knife and slit each one all the way along from the centre hollow to the one side. This now clamps very snugly onto the window and makes a steady resting place for my wifes camera and 150-500mm lens. She sits in the back of the car hence the reason for two - one on each window. We used them for the first time on Monday and Tuesday in another reserve and my wife was very happy. She could even wind the window up except for the last 2cms being the thickness from the centre hollow to the edge. I am now making another two for the two front windows for me to use with my video camera. Total cost - R0.00 as these pool noodles were left overs from when the kids still stayed with us.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I also use a pool noodle. mine wasn't hollow though. Cost R35 I think

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Where to find a Window Car mount for a camcorder
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:57 am 

HI

I have just bought a camcorder and looking to buy a window mount. I live in the JHB area. Does any one no where i can buy such support?

Post subject: Re: Where to find a Window Car mount for a camcorder
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Leander09, if you camcorder is a small fairly light model, the simplest and least expensive device is a window clamp. It clamps onto the window glass and onto this you attach a ball head and quick release plate to which you just clip your camera.

Most camera shops sell these and they are not too costly. The ball head part comes in various sizes depending on the weight and size of your camera. The "Manfrotto" brand is quite common. Google Manfrotto ball head and you will get all the details including pics. OutdoorPhoto's website is also a good place to look. Problem with the ball head type is panning, as they don't have any accurate means to level the camera.

If your camera is big and fairly heavy you may need something more substantial. After years of using a window clamp and ball head I am making my own setup. It consists of a much bigger platform with an attached tripod head with a cup and ball leveller. I used my prototype on our recent trip and it worked beautifully, but needs some mods. It's a bit cumbersome though.

If I can help with any more info please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Where to find a Window Car mount for a camcorder
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:56 am 

Thank you for your feed back I will defnitly have a look

Post subject: Adequate Bean Bag
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:06 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Okay, we are definitely no phographic newbies but we up to now did not use any beanbag but we experienced during our last trip to Kruger some time whilst observing a couple of hours a leopard in a tree where such a thing would have come handy as to hold the camera with the long lens on and to wait for a single muscle tic of the leopard is hard work.

So we decided to buy a bean bag for our next trip which can be used at least for such sightings but although searched in the worldwide web nothing suitable came across. Any hints where to buy such things at an adequate price most like somewhere in Europe???

One photographer gave us the tip to sew it according to our likings but believe me Pumbaa cannot sew and the thing which might come out is for sure not usable :whistle:

Thanks for help here :gflower:

Post subject: Re: Adequate Bean Bag
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:33 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Pumbaa. Unfortunately I will not be able to tell you where in Europe you can buy one, but I will buy it here and give it to you in February when we meet at Satara. :D You can also use one of those polysterene things (I don't know what you call it, but I will show you). You cut a slit in it and fit it over the window. This does not slip off like a bean bag normally does, and if it falls outside the vehicle, you might not be able to pick it up due to whatever is outside. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hi Pumbaa! :yaya:

I always take a pillowcase (40x40) with me. It's made of cotton, not the jersey kind that you get,
but the one that doesn't go out of square. And I buy a 5kg rice bag in SA which I put in. Always did the trick for me and I don't have to haul more weight over to SA. :thumbs_up:

Although I'm considering buying only 2kg of rice next time around. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pumbaa,
You can see mine strapped to the veranda railing at Punda Maria to take pics of the butterfly bush.
I bought it for about £25 and bring it empty, fill it with rice [about 4kg] and give the rice to the cleaning lady at the last place I stay in.
3911 020 by jansp, on Flickr

At home, I fill it with polystyrene beads to make it very light.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:19 pm 

Thanks so much for your prompt replies and good advices here :k :gflower:

@Lionspoon - The hint with the pillowcase is a great idea especially having the weight limitation on flights in mind :thumbs_up:

@granjan - Yours do look amazing - Just the thing we are looking for although when in camp we also do use our tripod :dance:

@hilda - My angel and hero(ess) :k :k :k You are more than kind and I do understand what you mean with these polysterene things and for sure already looking forward to our meeting in Satara :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks also to Duke and Muhammad for their pm's and for the link and that was exactly the bean bags we are looking for :dance: :dance: :dance: Unfortunately such things are not available here in Germany :wall: :wall:

You are all great :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hah, just love your honesty P'baa.
Worth millions.

Pumbaa even a small bag of potatoes
will do the trick.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:58 am 

Hi Pumbaa

I have an awesome beanbag..designed by a lady that has made many a trip to the KTP..and in my opinion it is way better than anything else I have seen.
I will PM you details but not quite right now...just got back from Rio and after travelling for 30 hrs non stop I don't think I am capable of writing a pm right now. If you do not hear from me a day or two pls take it that this thought of a PM has gone into oblivion..pls send me a PM to remind me to send you a PM.....:) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:30 am 

:

Last edited by Mutiman on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next