Moderator: lion queen

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: beanbag

Unread postby DuQues » Mon May 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Nah.... :wink:
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Mon May 17, 2010 4:13 pm

:)
talk about service...
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

hoyle

Unread postby hoyle » Sun May 23, 2010 3:21 pm

I always look for growing beans along the roadside in KNP because we used beanbags on a wooden stand my hubby made, velcro and all - but I lost 2 somewhere along the road and often wished I could have seen the monkeys get hold of them... :hmz:
FEBRUARY 3 WEEKS
JULY-AUG-SEPT 7 WEEKS
WE ARE NOT GREEDY - JUST LIKE A LOT!

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Sun May 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Always buy poultry or parrot food (seeds)
Can be bought at any bigger supermarket
Advantage. Bigger particles then rice and weight less

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bennievis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm using the SO's "bed warmer" as a bean bag. What is a bed warmer? simular to a warm bottle, but its filled with beads/seeds and you heat it for 3 mins in the micro. Works very well as a bean bag too. :thumbs_up:

charles83015

Unread postby charles83015 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:14 pm

i bought some flexible material (really cheap from a fabric store) and some beans a while back, intending to cut 2 squares from the material and then sew 3 sides shut, fill with beans and sew 4th side shut.

that, however, never materialised. i ended up buying one from a company in Saldanha Bay - it's called "Lenzz Rezzt". awesome quality @ R280.

can be found on bidorbuy.

Massimo

Unread postby Massimo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Hey guys!

I asked my mom when she had the sowing maching out and asked her to make me some bean bags! Well she did as i asked her and this is what she did for me:

I think i might have given my mom the wrong measurement because its weighs over 35kg :wall: :wall:! I started to use rice and it took 6kg and it was not even half way!! So i resorted to take out all the rice and fill it with sand!! I think we can now use it as a foundation for a house! Anyone building a house i have a foundation for you!! I think im gonna have to ask my mom to half it for me! The current dimensions are 16 cm long 8.5 cm high and 6 cm thick!!

What else would you recommend i fill it with? something light!! cause im never gonna take it with me or else!!
and these two:

These work very well !! happy with these!
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 pm

:lol:

A light filling will not work, then it's not a stable platform.

:hmz: I think she was looking at the future. Are you planning on buying a secondhand 1200 mm f/5.6 for instance? Than they are the proper size...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Massimo

Unread postby Massimo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:44 pm

second hand? im getting one brand new!! :tongue:

I suppose its time to throw out the sand and half it!
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Problem for you, it is out of production. Cost a measly R1.2 million, so probably people thought it was not good.
Your best option now is the Canon EF 800mm f/5.6 L IS USM, which you can get for $ 10,900.00.

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 am

Looks great Massimo. Could you ask your mom for a pattern which I could use?
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Massimo

Unread postby Massimo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Joshilewis!

I Went to the fabric shop here around the corner! I got 1 meter of material and then turn it over and drew all the parts on it with a pencil! So i drew the top as a rectangular and cut it out then the sides then the front and so forth! If you do get one made make sure that you leave about 3cm on each side of every piece so that this where it get sown on! So if your top is 15 cm long then you would make it 21cm long and fold it 3cm on each side... Then the arc you leave for last get it all sown up then measure the hole and cut out and plug it in!

I wont lie my mom said that is a big mission to make but then she does not like sowing! I made mine a bit big! :wall: :wall: Weighs 35kg!! Its way to heave to carry around!! I think im gonna look for polystyrene balls to fill it with! Hope it works!!

mikef

Unread postby mikef » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Massimo - I have never tried this myself but I remember reading (think on ODP) that crunched up plastic grocery bags work very well as a filling and are also very light.

Massimo

Unread postby Massimo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:41 pm

:thumbs_up: been looking at options so will keep that in mind :thumbs_up:

CliveK

Unread postby CliveK » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:28 pm

My 2c worth on this subject.

Fill your bag with Vermiculite (obtainable for a few rand at most garden shops and nurseries). You will have a bag that is lightweight, portable and is user friendly on electrically operated car windows.

As all wildlife photographers are aware, the action always occurs with split second timing and does not allow time for setting up, or operating, some complicated devise before firing away. Having tried (at great expense) most of these devises, I have found that the most reliable solution is “the bean bag”. However, the larger the bag, the better. This especially for the longer, heavy lens. The bag should provide more of a platform than a pivot point for the best stability and again should be light weight for maneuverability. To this set up, add a remote control trigger to the camera and you should get a reasonably stable shot.

I have used this set up for years now and it works the best for me. And I believe that if it works for me; pass it on so others too can benefit.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of man's life, the hours spent with nature.

Kieliekrankie 20-23 May 2015
KalahariTented Camp 23-26 May 2015
Twee Rivieren 26-28 May 2015

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”