Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Blurred Background
Unread postPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have made a lot of shots where my subejct is very clear (in focus), but in some cases almost "hidden" as it has the same colours as the background of the shot which is also in focus (due to the situation not possible to zoom in on subject to make background blur).

1. Anyway to avoid this when taking the shot?
2. Anyway to create a blur background using Photoshop (more important here and now)?

Cheers,
CD

"Inhabitant of Krugasia"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi CD.

A frequent problem, especially in the drier months when a lot of green disappears. Of course, this is exactly what the animals want to happen!

If your camera allows, use a wide aperture (small F number); this will give you a narrower depth of focus, and blur the background. This may help - though too narrow a depth of focus can be a problem in it self.

It is also more of a problem with small sensor size - so compact cameras have an apparent greater depth of focus than SLRs.

As to part 2; yes this can be done, as PS has a number of filters which will blur a picture. The greater problem and where skill and practice are needed, is in protecting the object of the shot. This is done by making a complex selection around the object (and being an animal it is likely to be complex!). Again there are a number of tools available within PS - perhaps the 'extract tool' is the most useful for this type of selection.

There are several resources out there with good instructions on the extract tool - books, webvideo clips etc. Hope this helps.

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

richardharris wrote:
Hi CD.

A frequent problem, especially in the drier months when a lot of green disappears. Of course, this is exactly what the animals want to happen!

If your camera allows, use a wide aperture (small F number); this will give you a narrower depth of focus, and blur the background. This may help - though too narrow a depth of focus can be a problem in it self.

It is also more of a problem with small sensor size - so compact cameras have an apparent greater depth of focus than SLRs.

As to part 2; yes this can be done, as PS has a number of filters which will blur a picture. The greater problem and where skill and practice are needed, is in protecting the object of the shot. This is done by making a complex selection around the object (and being an animal it is likely to be complex!). Again there are a number of tools available within PS - perhaps the 'extract tool' is the most useful for this type of selection.

There are several resources out there with good instructions on the extract tool - books, webvideo clips etc. Hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks Richard, will do some studying of the extract tool.

Cheers,
CD

"Inhabitant of Krugasia"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Richard, would it help if one uses both a polariser and warming filter, thereby letting less light in, so camera will open up lens thereby reducing depth of field? Do I have this right?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jay

In theory this might happen, but your camera (depending on setting) may reduce shutter speed instead / as well as, and this may not be desirable.

Fully auto settings are difficult to predict - its worth playing around with them though.

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:00 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Sounds obvious, but never use autofocus in these situations.
Camera would hunt to much

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
Sounds obvious, but never use autofocus in these situations.
Camera would hunt to much

ja,true, as it does when background and subject are too similar in colour :roll: you learning this with digital too?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

richardharris wrote:
Jay

In theory this might happen, but your camera (depending on setting) may reduce shutter speed instead / as well as, and this may not be desirable.

Richard

aha, a little something I forgot about :!:

Post subject: Removing background from images
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:17 pm 

I am finding this too hard, I googled and found some companies that do this sort of thing, has anyone tried them? Is clipping path the same as deepetching. http://www.deepetch.com seems to be one good one, I also saw http://www.rapidclipping.com/Photoshop_ ... g/home.htm and http://www.ezyclipping.com. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing. My catalog has over 300 images of jewelery and jackets with fur fitted on manequins due in two weeks, all shot on a blue studio background. Do I require alpha channel masking? Can anyone help please?

Post subject: Re: Removing background from images
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:23 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I find that taking a large size image into Photoshop, selecting the colour and deleting the colour works quite well. You'll need to use the Background eraser tool for the fine edges though....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c