Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please help.
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 am 

Hi, I have been using Photobucket to upload foto's. Now i cannot open Photobucket. Can someone please help or give me details of how to use Flickr. You can pm me.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Please help.
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With Flickr you can only upload 200 photos. After that they disable some of the photos or you have to upgrade and pay. That is why you will notice that some of the photos on the forum says "Flickr Photo not available".

I started to use Photobucket as they have unlimited uploads. That means you can upload all your photos of all your trips...

My suggestion is to rather try and resolve the issue with your Photobucket access / account.

Good Luck and remember to share those photos.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 am 

Hi leeukos, thanks for the reply. I will try.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 am 

The Photobucket site seems to be up at the moment.

Are you perhaps trying to access the website from work and is there any possibility they may have blocked the site?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Also try a free program called "PhotoScape". This is a nice tool to use to make changes to your photos and also resize them. A good size is 640 X 480.

It also can add a frame to your photos. Upload them into Photobucket and "Bob's your Uncle !!!"

Just google "PhotoScape".

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 am 

Hi all, thanks foryour help. I will try and seen what happens.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:15 pm 

Please...if any passing mite would be kind enough to help.

Thinking of moving from superzoom to DSLR.
A question concerning image size, not quality :
imagine three cameras
Superzoom (small sensor, say focal 5,6-112mm) : equivalent full frame 28-560
DSLR with 1,6 crop sensor+lens 70-300 : equivalent full frame 112-480
DSLR full frame+lens 100-400 : full frame 100-400.

Imagine next a small bird
Take the maximum equivalent full frame (EFF) focal length common to all three set-ups : 400
If a picture is now taken with all three cameras set at this EFF 400, and ignoring quality, then I believe that the size of the bird will be identical in all pictures, and all that will change is the area covered by the remainder of the picture, increasing considerably from superzoom, through 1,6 crop to full frame. Is that right ?

Suppose that EFF 400 is insufficient to identify the small bird.
With the superzoom, I can use digital zoom say up to 4 times.
Zooming up digitally, using a stabilizer (monopod), and spot-metering, then whatever the conditions, I can usually get enough to identify the bird, see its colours, and take a photo which won't win any prizes...
So far as I understand, I cannot do that in the field with DSLRs, that is they don't have digital zoom.
Therefore how difficult will it be to spot-meter on a small bird without any digital zoom ?
And even if that is achieved, is it "frustrating" in the field to take such a small picture, even if knowing that later on, eg in Lightroom, the image can be cropped and blown up ? (I realise quite subjective).

On equipment : had intended to go with EOS 7D+100-400, until held in a shop. Seemed just too heavy. A problem which I think would be compounded in Kruger, sitting at the wheel of a vehicle, both windows down and pivoting the body clockwise or anti depending on where the interest lies.
Then tried the 100-400 on a less weighty body : EOS 600D (ex Rebel). An improvement (surprisingly to me because the weight reduction was merely 250g ie from 2180g to 1930g excluding batteries I think). Still on the heavy side, maybe tolerably heavy, though I'm a bit skeptical.
Is the canon 70-300 (non-L version : well-reviewed, so far as I could read) a reasonable alternative ? Put on a 600D body, overall weight would reduce down to 1200g.
Pleasant predicament to be in, but if I could benefit from experience, would be most appreciative.
Sorry for lengthy post.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:17 pm 

coracias wrote:
Please...if any passing mite would be kind enough to help.

Thinking of moving from superzoom to DSLR.
A question concerning image size, not quality :
imagine three cameras
Superzoom (small sensor, say focal 5,6-112mm) : equivalent full frame 28-560
DSLR with 1,6 crop sensor+lens 70-300 : equivalent full frame 112-480
DSLR full frame+lens 100-400 : full frame 100-400.

Imagine next a small bird
Take the maximum equivalent full frame (EFF) focal length common to all three set-ups : 400
If a picture is now taken with all three cameras set at this EFF 400, and ignoring quality, then I believe that the size of the bird will be identical in all pictures, and all that will change is the area covered by the remainder of the picture, increasing considerably from superzoom, through 1,6 crop to full frame. Is that right ?

Your assumption is correct, but only if you PRINT the image at the same size. Given that cameras have different densities of pixels, a print at the maximum size for each sensor will probably result in a different physical print size, and thus a different ability to identify the bird in question. Thus, whether you wish to or not, QUALITY of the captured image WILL play a critical role in your pursuit of bird identification

coracias wrote:
Suppose that EFF 400 is insufficient to identify the small bird.
With the superzoom, I can use digital zoom say up to 4 times.
Zooming up digitally, using a stabilizer (monopod), and spot-metering, then whatever the conditions, I can usually get enough to identify the bird, see its colours, and take a photo which won't win any prizes...
So far as I understand, I cannot do that in the field with DSLRs, that is they don't have digital zoom.
Therefore how difficult will it be to spot-meter on a small bird without any digital zoom ?
And even if that is achieved, is it "frustrating" in the field to take such a small picture, even if knowing that later on, eg in Lightroom, the image can be cropped and blown up ? (I realise quite subjective).

Using the digital zoom facilities on a point-n-shoot camera will not give you ANY additional ability to identify a small bird - on the contrary, usage of the digital zoom facility is likely to make this task MORE difficult. As a matter of interest, you can zoom into your captured images, to pixel level if needed, on most DSLR's in the field

coracias wrote:
On equipment : had intended to go with EOS 7D+100-400, until held in a shop. Seemed just too heavy. A problem which I think would be compounded in Kruger, sitting at the wheel of a vehicle, both windows down and pivoting the body clockwise or anti depending on where the interest lies.
Then tried the 100-400 on a less weighty body : EOS 600D (ex Rebel). An improvement (surprisingly to me because the weight reduction was merely 250g ie from 2180g to 1930g excluding batteries I think). Still on the heavy side, maybe tolerably heavy, though I'm a bit skeptical.
Is the canon 70-300 (non-L version : well-reviewed, so far as I could read) a reasonable alternative ? Put on a 600D body, overall weight would reduce down to 1200g.
Pleasant predicament to be in, but if I could benefit from experience, would be most appreciative.
Sorry for lengthy post.

I cannot comment on the canon range of equipment, but given my understanding of your requirements, especially when it comes to the WEIGHT of the equipment, and without any focus on the quality of the image, I would suggest that you consider looking at the lighter lenses from Nikon and the (recently announced, bottom of the range) D3200 DSLR body. This DSLR is approximately 24MP which will give you incredible cropping ability from a DX-sized sensor. Couple this to the 55-300VR lens (which is a very light, competent lens, but certainly not the fastest or most robust around), it will give you an equivalent zoom ability of approximately 450mm. I suspect that this camera will be better than many people anticipate and will certainly produce better images than (most) point-n-shoot cameras.

You should note the misconception that a crop-sensor will give you better zoom capabilities with an equivalent lens than on a full-frame camera - IT DOES NOT - it simply captures a central portion of the image available - it does NOT BRING THE IMAGE CLOSER, as a more powerful zoom would do.

You may be better off with more pertinent advice by clearly articulating you needs and wants, to a point of listing preferences of each. That way a better understanding becomes available to those that could provide some advice and guidance based on their own experiences.....

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:04 pm 

Scottm
Very many thanks for taking the time to reply. Very useful to me.
By the way, in case I gave the wrong impression, I am indeed interested in quality.
But before quality, there was the quantity issue of size of image in the frame, which you have cleared up by confirming what I thought I had understood.
On the use of digital zoom with spot metering : with this combination, in a back-lit setting and a (distant) bird, I found that I was able to bring up the colours and size sufficient for identification and obtain a picture "in the field". Without the digital zoom, spot-metering would probably have been hit and miss, without which the colours wouldn't have shown up (but I may be wrong here).

To sum up
motivation :
- desire to move up to DSLR
- expectation of better quality photos particularly of birds (though not exclusively)
- to take those photos in Kruger/Kgalagadi/Etosha/De Hoop and possibly nowhere else
- a certain perhaps irrational idea that I like to have a recognisable picture in the field, rather than to crop and enlarge later
- working with those photos in Lightroom.
principal hesitation :
- whether a DSLR+zoom lens could ever paradoxically leave me worse off...eg those little birds that I can't zoom in on sufficiently...

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Boy , am I glad I do not understand a word you guys are saying here . I think if I did , I would have at least three weeks of sleepless nights :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .