Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help with tricky photo situation
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:18 pm 

Basically it's early morning, shot with a Canon 40D, 70-200 f2.8 lens + 2x converter. I only have the cameras built in flash, the African Harrier Hawk is too far away for this to have an effect, I tried. Shooting at full zoom, hand held. I think if memory serves I was using spot metering and the Cloudy white balance. How can I make this better without a flash?

Post subject: Re: Help with tricky photo situation
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:19 pm 

By the way I'm looking mainly for technical help, not composition.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm 

Hi bazzlewazzle

Please forgive me but I think a little “mildly stern” talking to may be in order here! :naughty:

Just decide to day to stop shooting JPG files and shoot in raw, the software that comes with the 40D will give you vastly more choice as to how your photos turn out in the end!!! There is little point in having a superb cam. like the 40D and only using a small proportion of it’s potential. Also you will not have to make all the decisions re. cam. settings at the time of shooting, but at home when the panic level is not as high. :D

I don’t know of one serious photographer who shoots in anything but raw.

Having said that, a shot like this one against the light will almost always need extra exposure of +1 to 2 stops if you want good detail in the shadows. With my 30D and I think the 40D as well, if you turn the on off switch to it’s 3rd position, the one indicated by a white line, then turning the thumb wheel will adjust the amount of over or under exposure. You can see by how much in the view finder.

In your photo, it is impossible to say without assess to the original file how much detail there is in it’s shadow areas, but it may well be possible to lighten the shadows a bit.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:25 am 

Hi Bazzlewazzle...First of all tricky situation into the sun but a couple of tips...Shoot RAW and in this case after the conversion use levels and Shadows and highlights in Photoshop to pop your image with acceptable detail. Also loose the 2x and invest ina 1.4x if you had Nikon you would have the chance of a 1.7x convertor which doesnt image degrade like any 2x...also here over expose the given exposure by .3 stop and that would give you a better base to work from but dont worry I take plenty pics like that every day I am shooting Wild Life

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 pm 

Peter is bang on with his advice, but do remember that you don't HAVE to have Photoshop to lighten or darken your image, Digital Photo Professional that comes with your camera will do this very well.

[If money is tight, Adobi LIGHTROOM is the way to go first.]

The canon 2X is really designed to go with the very fast supertelies like the awesome 300 f2.8, or 500 f4 big money lenses where it degrades the image very little indeed. Just a slight loss of contrast and the necessity of holding all very still indeed!!!

I really take Peter's point over the 1.7X though,

COME ON CANON!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:54 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Cant add much
Everything said
Can only stress.
Get rid of the JPG and use RAW
And shooting in the sun is always tricky
I usually do just the opposite
Set the exposure - 1 or 2 stops.
I then try to go for a silhouet

Unless your object fills the frame.
Then you can have a nice bird with detail

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:29 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

UKbadger wrote:
The canon 2X is really designed to go with the very fast (...)

This is a 2.8 he's using..... Maybe not a really long lens, but the 2x is designed for this lens too..

Most is said, but I have one question: Spotmetering... Where did you meter? The jpg you posted is very small, but if you metered on the bird you should already see more bird, and the sky would be way lighter.

If you van send me a large jpeg (or the RAW) I can show you what you can do with this photo using Lightroom.

But the best thing you can do is to use fill-in flash....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:25 pm 

:lol: haha I love the comments about RAW, and rest assured, when I'm taking pics normally I'm shooting in RAW. I just took these in jpeg because I knew I had no intention of doing anything to them afterwards and was intending to get straight inside and email them to someone.

DuQues wrote:
Most is said, but I have one question: Spotmetering... Where did you meter? The jpg you posted is very small, but if you metered on the bird you should already see more bird, and the sky would be way lighter.

I did create the thumbnail so if you click on it it should show you the larger one, not sure why it's not working since the forum upgrade.

Not sure I fully understand the metering, if I use spot metering where does the metering take place? on my selected focus point or always the middle? :huh: I just had a look at the info, I did have it set to spot metering, what happens after that I don't fully understand yet.

I did also get some in which the bird and branches are much lighter unfortunately camera shake was a big problem and they are even worse due to the blur.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:36 pm 

P.S. out of interest, how do you know from this pic that I didn't origianally shoot in RAW and convert to jpeg?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:37 pm 

we are just majic, so beware!!! :naughty: :twisted: :twisted:

:wink:

White balence

he he