Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks again DQ, so please tell me, if i had the finances...which one would you get...even not on the list...I have been told to look at the 100-400..but weight is a problem...If I could have any lense I want..which one would it be..?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:04 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I have the 100-400 myself and am very happy with it. But given unlimited funds the 300mm f/2.8 (with 1.4 and 2.0 converters) would be bought like a snap! It's sharper, but heavier as well.

The 100-400 travels very well. Most airlines allow 10 kilo handluggage, but in actual fact they have never ever weighed it. Given that the 100-400 only weighs in at 1600 grams that still leaves you a lot for batteries, bodies, lenses etc.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:52 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

A relative cheap, but sharp lens is the 400 5.6 L
And a lightweight.
Been on a Kruger trip last year with my 100-400 L and my friend had the 400
His images were sharper

I myself use the 100-400 as well
Also own a 300 4.0L
Also very sharp, even with 1.2 converter (No Autofocus)
Didnt bring it with me on my recent trip :doh:

Imo, the 100-400 is a great alrounder, but next time i will use
the70-200 4.0L (non IS version) in combination with the 300.
Both fit easily in my photobackpack and still allowed on the plane.

But if you dont have the big bucks the 100-400 is a great compromise

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have both the 100-400 and the 300 f/2.8.
Bought the 100-400 first, then got the 300 f/4.0 and ultimately upgraded to the f/2.8 and sold the f/4.0.
My Advice: Get the 100-400. It's the ultimate VERSATILE wildlife lens. AND it's an L lens. Now obviously zooms aren't as sharp as primes, but the 100-400 is an L lens and it's pics are still incredibly sharp.
I'll never sell my 100-400, even though I have the incredible 300 f/2.8
The 100-400 is just to versatile and travels a lot easier as mentioned above.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:40 pm 

NightOwl wrote:
I have both the 100-400 and the 300 f/2.8.

Now obviously zooms aren't as sharp as primes,

Depends which zooms you are talking about. The Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8 has just been voted the best in this category in a review in the latest "Digital Photography" mag with 100% image quality and a 93% overall rating. The Canon equiv got 80% IQ rating with 88% overall Rating and the Sigma version got an overall 83% Rating. The 200-400 f4 Nikkor is without peer as a wild Life Zoom and I would back these 2 Nikkors against any Prime available on this planet...cant comment on the 3 new Nikkor large primes as they havent become available yet. The days when an average Prime was better than the tip top best zooms are over

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Peter: You obviously didn't realise that I was comparing apples with apples... I only used L lenses in my recommendations and the L primes out perform the L zooms.
I also did not mention your brnad since the original question was about C kit. I can only comment on what I have experience with and that's the brand that the original poster requested info on.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Guys, please lets not start a N vs C debate.

Both great camera's and lenses. I think the Nikon 70-200 and the 200-400 are fantastic lenses. However, as is the Canon 70-200. Agree that the Nikon 200-400 is a better lens than the 100-400. Have played with both.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Delboysa: There's no N C debate here. I have no experience in N and plainly stated it as such.
What I was referring to is that I compared Primes and zooms within a specific manufacturer and even more specific in the L range. That was my response to the mention about zooms and primes. If I remember correctly... The original poster asked exactly about this advice. I couldn't care less whether its a N or a C lens, but if the person needs advice on a specific brand, then advice on lenses of the other brand is pretty useless to them and does not actually help them at all.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:59 pm 

NightOwl wrote:
Peter: You obviously didn't realise that I was comparing apples with apples... I only used L lenses in my recommendations and the L primes out perform the L zooms.
I also did not mention your brnad since the original question was about C kit. I can only comment on what I have experience with and that's the brand that the original poster requested info on.

Fair enough Chris I never read the Question so sorry man

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Canon 1d mkIII
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For those who went and bought one of these, you might like to know (if you don't already) that they are being recalled - at least, a fairly large number of them. All to do with the servo focus being unreliable.

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:22 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

For those working with the Mac: Apple has released Aperture version 2. (Which is a program like Lightroom for those who don't know.)

Quote:
CUPERTINO, California—February 12, 2008—Apple® today introduced Aperture™ 2, the next major release of its groundbreaking photo editing and management software with over 100 new features that make it faster, easier to use and more powerful. With a streamlined user interface and entirely new image processing engine, Aperture 2 also introduces new imaging tools for highlight recovery, color vibrancy, local contrast definition, soft-edged retouching, vignetting and RAW fine-tuning, and lets users directly post their portfolios on the .Mac Web Gallery* for viewing on the web, iPhone™, iPod® touch and Apple TV®. At a new low price of $199, anyone can easily organize, edit and publish photos like a pro.

Quote:
(...) and the Aperture library database has been re-architected to provide fast project switching and near instantaneous search results, even when working with extremely large libraries of 500,000 images or more.

Half a million photos... I think that will be enough for most of us... :lol:

If you want to
read more...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Something for the less professional photographers who are not handy with the computer maybe?

http://www.log69.com/aaphoto_en.html

Quote:
General description
- FREE Automatic Photo adjusting software
- Corrects the colors of image with only one click

- Simple and easy to use
- No need to install robust softwares
- Launches from local menu
- Generates a new image file on the disk

The main goal is to set and correct a photo image automatically with only one click. With other words, to make it seen better. This means setting the contrast, color balance and gamma levels of the image by analization.

Not all images are adjusted originally in the proper way. Some of them can be too dark, too bright, or the colors are just too yellowish. The middle tone can be too dark - at this we see the pictures too dark, no matter how many light colors they have. The program tries to set these parameters by analization to the best values.

This can be a solution for those kind of users who are not able to set up and correct images with complicated huge graphical softwares, or just simply don't intend to spend a lot of time with setting the images one-by-one manually. Only selecting the image files are enough, then right-clicking with the mouse you can just start the automatic color correction command from the local menu (one-step operation from a console command too).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:08 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Adobe has a new service: Adobe® Photoshop® Express

Quote:
Amplify your image
Do what you want with your photos. Give them cartoon colors. Distort them. Go nuts. Turn average photos into jaw droppers with options like Pop Color, Sketch, Hue, Black & White, Tint, and more.

Get free rent
Got thousands of photos buried deep in folders on your computer? Give them a real home, absolutely free, at Photoshop Express. All it takes is a quick registration and you can store, tweak, polish, and show off up to 2GB of photos.

Your gallery or mine?
My Gallery is the place to show off your photos, your creativity, and your individual style. Create your own exhibit and let people play and interact with it. Display your images in 3D or as a grid. The choice is yours. You control how everything looks in your gallery.

Advanced degree not required
Intimidated by lots of buttons, menus, and palettes? Just say whew! At Photoshop Express, turning a quickly snapped camera phone shot into a shareworthy photo is a piece of cake.

Anyone want to testdrive it? My internetsettings will not allow me...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:46 pm 

Sounds like their answer to Google's Picassa2.

Interesting...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It looks interesting DQ, but when I click on join now it says currently US ONLY :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next