SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Photography Chat
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JDW & Caracal -

Thank you for the replies. Would the 7D from Canon be best suited to JPEG, or could I go RAW.

Hey, sounds like nudist photography...shooting RAW! :mrgreen:

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:27 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Huntsman
The only real setback with JPG is that everytime you edit the original JPG with photo editing software details get lost. dont worry, the image wont disappear.
The original image changes everytime. The finer detail only
And not all editing modes are available for JPG editing
The basic ones like sharpness, adding light,shadow all work fine
But if you want full control and finer editing go for RAW
If you are satisfied with the general editing and dont go for photocompetitions and poster formats stick to JPG

Another setback with RAW (as already mentioned by JWD) is the amount of much more data to be saved.
Means bigger and perhaps more mermory cards

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:00 pm 

It seems silly to have a great camera like a 7d and not take in RAW format.
It is a great body...flaunt it !!! :)
The 7D will cope with both RAW and JPEG simultaneously..just get a big memory card like 16GB.
And yes agree with everthing that Bert has added. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 pm 

Caracal
Why capture in both RAW and JPEG?
By capturing in RAW you have the purest available image.
If you are going to post on forums or processing for printing as soon as you change the image it is then saved in a different file format - probably JPEG.
I only capture in RAW then process in Photoshop Elements and save in JPEG retaining both for posterity.
Am I missing something - always happy to learn.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:11 pm 

High Huntsman

You have some really serious kit there that is capable of producing work of the very highest quality. No really serious photog would dream of working in anything but RAW for anything but snapshots, (this is Anna on the beach sort of thing) and wildlife shooters do tend to be serious about it. That would be like owning a Farari and never driving over 50kph!

Having said that, the 7D is not a very forgiving camera and you do have to get your technique right to get the best from it. Just bear in mind that many very, very good photogs put 7Ds on the end of 100,000SAR lenses without hesitation! :shock:

If you want to get into photography as a "proper" hobby, you will need to look into getting a RAW processing program like Lightroom as Canon’s DPP is not very efficient at possessing large numbers of pics.

Most people who don’t have to fly with their gear take their laptops and download their CF cards as they go.

If they have to fly, they usually take little portable hard disks that you plug your card into to download.

Just be warned, photography can get addictive once you get into it and there is absolutely no end to the time and cash you can spend on it! You could end up dreaming of using the latest ultimate canon safari lens, the 200-400 f4 with built in 1.4 extender and a 170,000R ish price tag. :whistle:

Hope this is helpful

UKB

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:41 pm 

JDW wrote:
Caracal
Why capture in both RAW and JPEG?
By capturing in RAW you have the purest available image.
If you are going to post on forums or processing for printing as soon as you change the image it is then saved in a different file format - probably JPEG.
I only capture in RAW then process in Photoshop Elements and save in JPEG retaining both for posterity.
Am I missing something - always happy to learn.
Regards
JDW

I like my JPEG for forums etc because mostly I am happy with it...no procesing required except opening in PS ,crop, resize and post. Way quicker than processing the RAW file. That is just my way of thinking. :D If I am sending a pic in for printing or for a competition I will then process the RAW or if it has been a difficult scene to capture and I haven't quite got it right then I will use the RAW to try and rescue it...as I say just my way of thinking...:)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm 

Caracal
Thanks for the explanation.
It makes good sense.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tons of good advice here - much appreciated!

I am a little nervous now, however: I have a birding long-weekend coming up very soon and I have never experimented with RAW. Is this something I should be concerned with? Do I stick to JPEG so as not to mess everything up until such time as I can 'learn' RAW, or is the learning going to take place after the pic is taken and during the 'development' stage?

Thanks for your kind words about my gear...I'm still praying for a used 1D MKIV to mysteriously find its way to me... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:59 pm 

Huntsman
Capturing the image doesn't change, however you do need to practice and adjust some of the settings - trial and error!
You will need to learn post capture processing.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:52 pm 

Yes, half the fun is in the post processing, one of the great advantages of RAW is that a lot of the decisions are made after the event when the leopard fever has calmed down a bit!

e.g. color, contrast, density and you still have all the info the sensor recorded to play with and to even produce a variety of "interpretations" of the original if you change your mind.

In the un camera JPG possessing half the original data is dumped and cannot be retrieved. That is why JPGS are smaller than RAW files.
UKB

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Not much happening in this thread so perhaps I can pose a few questions...?

I have been out on two trips with my trusty friends from the Canon stable and have shot in RAW (M) and JPEG simultaneously. Unfortunately, my results are so poor that the JPEGs are not worth using and I am 'fiddling about' with every single RAW shot to try and create a decent pic.

Whilst my darkroom technique went from zero to...well, not bad, this doesn't bode well for the part of photography I actually care about, viz. the taking of the photograph.

It has gotten so bad, that I have now stopped taking JPEGs at all, creating them only from the RAW capture when needed.

Status - total beginner
Problem - exposure

All of my pics of birds are coming out with the birds too dark and the sky in the background too light, particularly when I capture the birds in flight.

Obviously this is an exposure scenario, but how/where/how much do I set it on this 7D thingy?

Secondly, what mode would you learned folk suggest for bird photography? I've been using Av but am never sure where to have the shutter speed.... :?

Hope you will help... :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:51 am 

Quick answer....I always over -expose for dark birds flying against bright sky ..at least by 0.7. Not sure where you do this on a 7d....it shouldn't be too difficult though. Which lens are you using/
You need to be on Servo focus...and shutter speed needs to be high..higher than your focal length...Example if working with 400mm your shutter speed needs to be higher than 1/400 sec. But you must bear the crop factor of your camera in mind....I tend to try and get a shutter speed of at lesast 1/1000 sec. Up ISO to get a higher shutter speed. I tend to use F5.6 but if the light is good I will use F8 just so that I get a bit more depth of field. I also focus with the back button..I found that a big step forward in getting more bird shots in focus....google it.
Always use AV for bird/action photography...I don't have time to think in manual. All other photgraphy I use manual...
Sorry this is a quick message..but very busy at the moment.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That's a great message Caracal, and under the circumstances, even more appreciated - thank you! :thumbs_up:

I have the Canon 100-400 4.5/5.6

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To make things simple, ALWAYS put it in Av with the aperture as open as possible. Set ISO to 400 (for 7D, this is my limit for noise, prefer not going higher than 200, but it depends on your noise taste). Using back button focus is amazing, but can be added to your technique later. Set the exposure setting to centre weighted until if within 2 hours of sunrise/sunset and spot metering for other times. Spot metering is especially useful when shooting against sky (which is less pleasing to the eye but sometimes is all you are offered). If shooting from a hide with nice reeds or other darker items in your bg, keep on centre-weighted. CW also helps when shooting white/black birds, like a squacco. Depending on the effect your want, ss over 1/2000 for bif of average size and flight pattern should freeze most actions, perhaps some wing blur, I prefer either 1/200 for motion blur or 1/4000 for frozen (taking into account I shoot 1D4 + 1.4x + 500). For herons flying a distance that does not require cropping, I suggest shooting at 1 over double your focal length (i.e. if using 500 mm lens on 7D, shoot at 1/(2x1.6x500) = 1/1600 or faster).

Hope this helps.

If there are an questions, please let me know... :whistle:

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HA!

Lots of questions! :mrgreen:

Thanks MxM -

My head is spinning a little, but here's what I (think I) get:

Higher ISO=higher noise?
bif is bird in flight?

For herons flying a distance that does not require cropping, I suggest shooting at 1 over double your focal length (i.e. if using 500 mm lens on 7D, shoot at 1/(2x1.6x500) = 1/1600 or faster).

Could you please clarify this sentence? Using my 100-400mm perhaps?

:thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next