Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: christelsabine's Trip in September - 10 Days! KNP, Sept '06
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hiya to all,

I just hope this is right forum :?
Since days, I spent a huge part of my precious life time in front of the computer trying to check out ALL what could be necessary to know for our trip mid of September - I tell you, my butt just is quadratic!

OK, hotel reservation is done (a private lodge) in Hazyview, papers are OK, and then I discover: Woman, the South Africans are driving on the wrong side! Man. How to handle this?? I'm the driver in our partnership (except my big son but, he's not driving in SA), it will be me fighting ourselves through the SA traffic jungles! Will I succeed?

Can't wait to be there, we were reading all available info, every bit on the internet, and there's A LOT to read, wow!

After spending so many hours "in the Kruger", I'm sure to drive blind folded through it, yes M'am! Now we know distances, gates' entrance hours, received tons of hotel info's by email: We just have to go and enjoy.

Hope to see someone from the forums at the spot there, our schedule is Sept. 10 - 20, 2006. After this, going on to Namibia etc.

Can't sleep at night, always dreaming of animals, having wonderful walking trips, listening to African nights' sounds...

Cya
Christel

Post subject: Re: Our Trip in September - 10 Days!
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:57 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

christelsabine wrote:
I just hope this is right forum.

Sure is! We now know where to find your tripreport when you are back! :wink:
christelsabine wrote:
Hope to see someone from the forums at the spot there, our schedule is Sept. 10 - 20, 2006. After this, going on to Namibia etc.

Which spot is that? In the When will I see yellow ribbons in Kruger? you can see who is where, and if you give Dinkybird a PM she can add your schedule. (She won't bite.)
Go and have a great vacation!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:23 am 

All you have to do is mind the taxi's they are bad drivers and will swing in before u at any time they feel like it,but otherwise go and hav some fun!
If i can give some advice don't enter the Numbi gate as you have to go through Bosbokrandt and that started to be a very dangerous area, they throw your car with rocks and stuff but do enter through Phabeni its a nice gate and nearest to Hazyview!

Why are you not staying in Kruger Park itself?
Your going to have a very nice time,i was there begin July and the Park is beatiful,wish i could come with you..........

Will be waiting for all the reports!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:18 am 

Leopard Lover wrote:
If i can give some advice don't enter the Numbi gate as you have to go through Bosbokrandt

I think you mean Orpen gate via Bosbokrandt, Leopard Lover, :?
Numbi Gate is fine, we enter through there often, but yes I agree Phabeni would be the closest from Hazyview.

I am sure you are going to have a great holiday Christelsabine, enjoy and come back and tell us all about it.
Best wishes. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Many thx @ everybody, so many good infos :D

Regarding staying in a lodge outside the park I just have to say, that after my husband's heart attack from which he still is recovering a bit, he needs some comfort around him and the chance, just to stay in the accomodation, f.e. if it's too hot, if he's feeling weak or so..... He surely will not participate in every day or night trip/walk. So, if there's a TV near to him :popcorn: - he might just want to relax while I'll go and enjoy another day in Kruger :cam: - and after coming back, will show him all what he missed that day :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Leopard Lover wrote:
Elsa sorry i got confused!we got lost this July trying to find Orpen and we only knew the Road through Bosbokrandt and when we were stopping in Sabie some people told us not to go through Bosbokrandt!that it is dangerous!

:big_eyes: What's about that "dangerous" thing, throwing stones?? Why Bosbokrandt ?

Could it be a risk for me to travel alone (w/o my man at my side) around or into the park??

To learn from first hand experiences is really priceless, I think :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Leopard Lover wrote:

I wish your husband all the best hope he gets well soon and your going to have a wonderful holiday so don't stress to much

Thanks a lot! says the poor husband! (Who in fact, is too lazy to walk and just riding around with the lame excuse: I'm still ill...)

We wouldn't do this long trip w/o the OK of our doc, that's for sure. So, all these details I/we learned here really are precious to us. Thank you all. :D

All is turning around this trip, every free minute is to be spent in the internet, collecting every bit of info about Kruger, bought a lot of guide books (I just love the APA which is really detailed) - and: reading every single new post here)

Now I just have to take the use of our new digicam :redface:
and in few weeks: Here we go!

Now I have to read all about the "yellow ribbon" ....

Christel

Post subject: And another question....
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After reading all about the "other" parks, which is really interesting!, I'd just would like to know:

Is there a fence all around the Kruger? I just cannot imagine that but, would like to know if it's only environment (desert, places w/o prey, villages/towns) preventing animals to walk over into another area/park where they perhaps find better food or - if it's the fence? And if yes, is a fence really keeping the borders "clean"???

Questions, questions.... I'm just a not_knowing_European! So, pls forgive me :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:48 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Christel,

I can really recommend this book. Also have a look here.

There is an electrified fence all around Kruger/KLTP.

If you have any other questions about your trip, you might want to search the Advice needed forum and the Camps & Roads forum or ask questions there.

Hope the info helps. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:53 am 

Yes, Christelsabine, Kruger is completely fenced and electrified except where they have started dropping the fences along the border with Mozambique.
The fence does get breached or broken from time to time by animals, like Elephants and also sometimes by illegal immigrants or poachers coming into the park.
So, obviously they do have incidents where animals escape into neighbouring areas and they are either herded back if possible or if the situation becomes dangerous they have to be destroyed unfortunately.
But if one takes the amount of escapees to the number of animals in the park it is a very very small proportion.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]