Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
Txs people
@ Arie and DQ: The Biyamiti Weir is a story by itself but i am trying to build the tension here 8)
@ Sharks: biscuits was our breakfast

Bert ! I can't take it any longer...the suspense is killing me :shock:
What happened on the Byamiti weir :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
Great report Bert and beautiful pics but....where is your lion, still swimming in the Biyamity Weir? Tip, to see lions, you had to stand up very early in the morning and with a strong cup of coffee to make you sober and listening if you can hear the lions but when you don't hear them, don't look for them, they will look for you. :lol: Thanks for sharing and hope to see you guys soon. [rutting season of the red deer's!!!]. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Nico, our lion, but not even photographed by me :?

And we did follow the roaring at Lower Sabie and Orpen :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:12 pm 

THE MEET OF ALL MEETS.

After late brekkie at Afsaal we decided to go to Biyamiti Weir.
Heard so many good things about this place. Main reason was that you can see waterbirds at your own height from the car.

The route along S114 was a bit rattle and hum but produced two Kori Bustards next to the road. A few head of general game and then the Weir came into view. A nice gully across the rocks with a concrete road next to the dam wall. No cars around so we could take our time to search for waterbirds. Saw a grey heron on the first passing. Turned around and slowly back again. Luck was with us.... very close by a Malachite Kingfisher in the reeds. The first party took their shots and when i checked the road up the hill i saw a car crawling along the road. Might this be leopard. 8) We followed the spoor but nothing :cry: Time to do the Weir again , giving the photographers on the other side of the car the opportunity to take pics of the Kingfisher. Before going into the gully again a french couple asked us if it was safe to cross. Gave them the green light and they went ahead. We followed. Kingfishers was still there and as i had my pictures i watched the french couple climbing up the hill....

Suddenly i was seeing miracles :roll: A leopard appeared out of nothing and jumped from the wall of the dam on the road. 10 meters in front of me and i was the only one in the car seeing this. Pinched my son next to me, stuttered L ee oppard, went very nuts and everyone was totally active and out of their minds. The leopard gave us the eye and calmly walked across the rocks with me tailing him, camera's packed for action. We all did get a few shots and he walked across the rocks and went to take a rest between the boulders. Nearly out of sight. What a moment... 8)

And luckily nobody arrived at the weir. No traffic jam, nothing. After a while we decided to go back to Berg en Dal and on the way i tipped two cars that there was a leopard under a fernlike plant between the rocks. Hope they saw him, because if you didnt see him going down there it would be difficult to spot him. We were so very damn lucky. Was my SO's dream to see leopard. This trip produced two

Malachite

Leopard on the rocks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:28 pm 

Last morning in the Park :cry:
After having a great and big brekkie we had to pack.
Only to find out that the sprinkles were on and we had to hop scotch from the cottage to the bungalow :lol: :lol:

Our aim was to take pictures of the first light on the hills and mountains. And imo its the most beautifull part of the park.
Said goodbye to the southern ground hornbills in the tree, saw a lonely ellie and travelled to Afsaal for a last greet. Saw our lazy rhino taking his nap between the trees and had our last coffee.

On our way back to Malelane gate saw 4 ground hornbills and made our way to the gate towards the green cane fields.
What a contrast. Luckily we could still see some crocs in the river from the bridge and enteren the real world again. Till next year
Few impala's in the last light Berg en Dal

First light on the rocks

Last edited by bert on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 pm 

Last one as a big farewell :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2