Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why we fall in love with Kruger-Leopard Lover Trip : July 06
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:12 pm 

I everyone i am going to post my trip but it is going to be a slow process since i got back on Sunday and my work is keeping me very busy!

But the ? i always ask myself is why we fall in love with Kruger so easily, that makes you want to stay there forever!

Well i am going to begin my story....

DAY 1:

Well on Sundag morning the 2nd of July we had to leave early from Cape Town cause we had to drive to Magalliesburg to overnight there, and it was a long drive we left about 4:30 am and after a bit of getting lost in Jburg( which u never want to do at night) we arrived safetly at 20:15 p.m

We went to dinner and went straight to bed because we were so tired!!

DAY 2:

So today we drove to Pretoria for the day, went to Menlyn centre and had lunch with the family which was very nice, after a bit of shopping and shopping for groceries for Kruger we went back and drove around Hartebeespoort dam( what a lovely place that is) and got back to Magallies where we had a braai and went for a lovely walk around the resort!
They had nice heated pools but unfortunately we didn't bring swimwear!

Day 3:

Early Tuesday morning we packed all the laugage into the Van and this time our only destination was Kruger......... we got lost again trying to find Orpen gate as to there were no Road Sings anywhere!!!!!!!!!We arrived at Orpen at 14:30......

To be continued...............

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:50 am 

Day 3…continued

Okey so we arrived at Orpen gate around 14:30 and just to breath in that bush air
made me so exited!
Our first night in Kruger we spent in Satara and it is one of my top 3 rest camps, I love it when everyone comes into camp at gate closing time, everyone goes to the shop and buy some wood or charcoal to get their fire starting, and then u sit around your fire and listen to all the kids playing and all mother nature’s lovely sounds.

On our drive from Orpen to Satara we saw lot of general game and missed a Leopard buy a few seconds but we knew that was fine cause we had 10 wonderful days still left to find our Leopard…….

That night we heard lions very near buy and we went for a walk along the fence and saw a 2 Hyena, and then my sister lost her cell phone and we had to launch our cell phone finding expedition and we just realized she lost her phone when we were watching a movie about Cheetahs at the screen!
So indeed that was a problem finding cause we walked all over the place but eventually we found it, and I told her she could be very lucky we found it.
After finding it we went to have dinner with my parents and then walked to our bungalow I quickly talked with my boyfriend and went to sleep……….

PS:I would loved to be a TV presenter though,sorry Bush Baptist if I beat about the fence but I am so busy at work!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:14 pm 

Day 4

Early Wednesday morning we were on our way to Letaba, and was really sad cause we had such a short time in Satara which is one of my favourite camps!
Just before we left in Cape Town i got my glasses and was able to spot our first cat for our trip an African Wild Cat, and it was really hard to spot since the grass was tall and it was just lying there,so we spent a few moments with it and drove on.
We took the road wich lead to the Timbavati picnic spot and saw lots of general game on this road we got out and the picnic spot and out of the bush came a bushbuck and took someone's apple from their table.
This is really an indication that people feed this animal and it just wonders around the people and not scared.

I prefer the south of the park but Letaba is a really nice camp, we didn't saw that much as we drove to Letaba,when we got there we got our bungalows and had lunch and watch the bushbuck.........can't believe how they are not scared of humans......again cause people feed these animals

We took a drive around half past 2 and got to the river where we saw some Impala playing and making noises we have never heard before and then my Dad saw Ellies coming out of the bushes but quite far from us, later we saw that they are really going to cross the road and my Dad reversed quite a few meters to give these ellies room to move!We believe u must never threaten an Elephant,cause if you have respect for them they will have respect for you..........

So when the Ellies crossed the road(there were lots of little ellies.............so quite) we were very far from them but then they decided to not cross the road but keep WALKING ON THE ROAD........and in a matter of minutes we had more than 20 ellies around our car...........i was very frightend,the one put this trunk on our bonnet and the other one putted his trunk through my Dad's window.....but they didn't hurt us and one clue.....never make eye contact if they are around your car and sit still and don't speak

Well after this experience we drove a little more and we were lauging because of the shock i mean they really could have rolled our car off onto the riverbed.........scary!!!

Later we got back to Letaba and got our fire starting for another night of heaven on earth.........

Its like everytime i go back to Kruger its like a little magic in a dark Africa,where u can escape all the murders,people trying to steal your stuff, i feel so safe there.

I am what people would say a real City girl which fits my profile but when i go back to the bush it fits too.......
The thing about Kruger is u will either love it or hate it, u won't believe how many South African hate it, but i am so glad that i can appreciate the magic of Kruger..........my little heaven on earth

PS:sorry for the spelling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:23 pm 

DAY 5

Just before we went to bed my family decided that we are going to sleep a “little late” the Thursday morning because we only had to drive down to Olifants,so about 9 am we left the gates of Letaba for another magical day in Kruger!

We decided to drive a few kilos up North to go to a picnic site about 20 kilos from Letaba I can’t remember the name of the picnic site!When we got there we made a lovely breakfast and had a good time, we didn’t saw much on the drive to the picnic site or back but it was very nice there.

So we passed Letaba again and decided to go buy some water and went to the pin board to see what the other people have seen that day but there wasn’t much on there.

We drove around for a while and saw another big herd of ellies luckily not so close this time, but still close so that we could adore the cute baby ellies, they are so entertaining!we saw our gentle giants about 14 of them and it was very nice just to look at them!I think giraffe is Africa’s most charming animal!

Well we went to Olifants and got our bungalows from our bungalow we could hear the calming sound of the river,so peaceful, we went to have lunch at the cafeteria and then we went for another drive

We decided to drive the S90 down towards Balule and just after the turnoff we found a Hyena den luckily all of them were lying outside sleeping at first we didn’t thought there were cubs but they suddenly emerged from under the mothers since the Hyenas faced us with their backside.Oh what cute 3 puppies they were and after a while they awoke and entertained us with their playing, altogether there were 8 Hyenas.
We spent a while with them and then drove a while on without seeing anything and just before we decided to turn around to camp there were our Leopard in the road and he wasn’t bothered at all with us but he didn’t give us enough time for a nice pic!What a stylish, classy animal
We headed back to camp got our fire starting cause my parents bungalow was on the Riverside we had to walk to the other side of the camp to accompany them,was very nice view as we watched the sunset!Soon the bats were flying all over our heads and my sister was almost hysterical!!

My dad went to drop as off at our Bungalows to pack our suitcases in the car cause tomorrow will be a long drive since we are going to a timeshare just 250m outside Paul Kruger Gate (Protea Burchell’s Lodge)

We went to sleep and suddenly around 10 p.m my sister woke me up and she was very bothered by a sound that was coming from our roof and I listened and it sounded as if something was digging a hole into our roof my sister wanted to call a ranger and when she switched on the light there was this huge black lizzard against our wall,it was gross but u have to accept your in the bush now,and that’s their home,so the ranger came and helped as with our Lizzard problem but who knows what that thing on our roof was……..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:42 pm 

DAY 6

At 6 am Friday morning we were on the road going to the South of the KNP, we didn’t see much on our way to Satara but stopped at Satara for a nice cup of coffee and a donuat,they really have nice deli there and everything is so fresh!But the donuat was for later in the day cause we were making breakfast at Thokwane one of my favourite picnic sites!we came there about 11:15 and made our omelettes and had some juice and chased the monkeys they are so naughty but so cute!

We then left about just before one and just 1km from Thokwane we saw “millions” of cars and we couldn’t see what it was because off the huge traffic jam………..but eventually we came through and got a nice spot and we saw the cheetah under the bush but it was indeed a BIG cheetah it had a big head!
There was these people in a kombi and his wife screemed at him the whole time cause then she wanted him to go back then forth it was so annoying!!!!!!!Poor man I really felt sorry for him!We drove on after a few minutes and saw very much general game we stopped at Skukuza for a few groceries and then we decided to go to our timeshare for the rest off the day and we left the park at 14:30 to go have a nap
Apon our arrival that afternoon they informed that there was Hyena roaming in the camp at night and we should not walk alone if we do, that night I heard him right outside our house,the place we stayed at is really very nice and it feels like your really in the bush…………

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:54 am 

DAY 7

Today we decided we are going to relax at the lodge and wash clothes, but we found out there were no laundry and decided to go to Skukuza in the afternoon to go do the laundry.

Later that morning we had drinks at the Gazebo at the Hotel and we could look out onto the river and we spotted some ellies enjoying themselves in the water!

At about 14:00 we were at Skukuza and started the washing and at 16:00 we were finished and decided to drive till gate closes, we did the route up the S65 and we found our first lions by the dam (can’t remember the name) and there were about 12 of them! was lovely they were just lying in the sun and being lazy so we watched them till it was time to go to reach the gate in time. We had a nice braai that night and went to sleep cause tomorrow is another day in Kruger.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:04 am 

DAY 8

We decided that Lower Sabie is going to get his turn today as it is our favourite camp, and we left the timeshare around 8:00 am

For the first time in years we found the road from Skukuza to Lower Sabie very quite as we didn’t saw much animals on our way down that morning, but we still had a pleasant drive cause who can complain when your in the bush………and in KNP!

We stopped at Nkulu for breakfast and I was quite impressed about the way they upgraded the picnic spot…….and those naughty monkeys can’t seem to give u one moment of peace and quite cause they always looking for what they can steal from your basket

DAY 8

We decided that Lower Sabie is going to get his turn today as it is our favourite camp, and we left the timeshare around 8:00 am

For the first time in years we found the road from Skukuza to Lower Sabie very quite as we didn’t saw much animals on our way down that morning, but we still had a pleasant drive cause who can complain when your in the bush………and in KNP!

We stopped at Nkulu for breakfast and I was quite impressed about the way they upgraded the picnic spot…….and those naughty monkeys can’t seem to give u one moment of peace and quite cause they always looking for what they can steal from your basket

But still Nkulu is a nice spot just to relax, so after that we headed towards Lower Sabie we drove past because it was still early and we decided to first drive to Crocodile Bridge. We saw our first Rhino for the trip and lots of general game on that road! For previous years the Crocodile Bridge Road was our hotspot for all of the cats so we were bit disappointed we didn’t find anyone of them……..as they say being at the right place at the right time!

So we drive back to Lower Sabie and had a nice Lunch on the terrace and just had a bit of fun with the family, the camp was very full as it was on a Sunday and all the outside people visit as well and it was hard to find a place to sit but we eventually found a nice spot overlooking the River.

Later we drove back to Skukuza made a stop there and returned to our Lodge for the evening

Day 9

Today we didn’t went in that early but decided to drive down to Pretoruiskop and have a picnic there, my little sister decided that she was staying home for the day as she had a project to hand in at school on the first day of school! so the rest of the family set out for pretoruiskop and what a nice drive we saw lots of interesting antelope we saw Njala and Hartebeest which was nice and lots of general game!

We had our picnic and decided to head home for the rest of the day, we stopped at Transport dam for a while just relaxing and reading magazines and I was driving!
My sister was scanning the area with binoculars when she suddenly asked my mother to look through hers cause she saw something and what a spotting it was……..a LIONESS withg 3 cubs came down to drink at the dam and we were the only car there…….what a great sighting cause we watched them play and after a while we decided to drive back home! we told other cars on our way back to Paul Kruger Gate about the lions so hopefully they all got to see them….
We came home and my sister told us about the baboons that attacked her, she was chasing them from our bungalow and when they noticed she was alone they hammered on the windows and doors to try to get in…………..so reminder to all BABOONS are very very dangerous

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:04 am 

DAY 10

Today is Tuesday and just 3 more days in Kruger………..it makes you depressed just to think about it!!But must make every minute memorable so I decided not to even think about going back to work on Monday!

We did a long drive today and we decided to enter the gate at 6 am and drive towards Thokwane to have our last picnic and then drive down to Lower Sabie from there!
We entered Paul Kruger gate at decided to do the loop down the river and down the S65 and then back on Diospane to the main road towards Skukuza

And weren’t we glad about that decision,about 2 km down the river road was 2 beatiful Leopards in the road , I have read many people saw pairs of Leopards this July and I think its mating season……….so we had these beatiful creatures in the road just as the sun was coming out for the day it was a nice setting for fotos!and after 15 minutes of lying in the road and bit of playfulness they disapeered into the bushes!after that we just had lot of general game and 1 giraffe at the dam, we searched for the lions but they were no where to be found!
We saw 2 ellies on our way down the S65 and kudu and a lot of impies!

So we were on the main road on our way to Thokwane and on our way we saw 5 ellies and general game, we reached Skukuza and passed to go to Thokwane, the road was very quite for early in the morning and we didn’t see that much till we reached Thokwane!As we made breakfast it was lovely listening to the birds and sounds of the bush.
Those blue birds are becoming a big pest in Thokwane cause they also like the monkys try to steal your food,but nevertheless we had a good time!
My little sister was trying to get rid of the birds by chasing them, and they pooped in her hair…………it was really funny!
After our Stomaches were full we drove along the tar road to LS and then onto a gravel road that leads to a very nice picnic spot which we never have been to, it overlooks the plains and are so beatiful!on this road we saw lots of zebra and wildebeest and it was the first time on this trip that we saw this many!!at the picnic spot we saw some waterback,baboons and zebra and the waterhole down below!

So we were driving on and got our first big group of buffels…………we had been searching for them as we just saw a lot of lone bulls,we watched them for a while and headed towards LS!
We got to LS and had drinks on the terrace,after we brougt an ice cream and we were off again this time driving towards Skukuza on the main road!
We stopped at Sunset Dam and there were a lot of hippos,crocs and impies and waterbuck,from there we saw the big traffic jam of cars parked towards the river!

We saw the kill at first but no lions so we parked for a while,then we saw a male lion coming out of the bushes towards the river and he had a drink and went back to his post behind the carcass!We didn’t saw any other lion but it was a bit far so they could have lie anywhere and we wouldn’t know if u didn’t know here to look for them!
We drove on a while and then saw another male lion on out side of the river so we could see him more clearly without binoculars cause he was out in the open!so after our lions we had lots and lots of ellies!as we drove on we saw a big ellie herd running on the other side of the river and they had the smallest baby ellies(they are just the cutest) but we could’t understand their hurry, few kilos on we found another ellie herd and this time mom and baby ellie were near the road so we had a good look of baby ellie!We stopped at Skukuza for bread and milk and headed towards the Kruger Gate!
Another wonderful day in the park

PS:sorry for spelling,no time to check, if my boss must see what I am doing I am dead meat, but I can’t resist

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]