Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leopardspotter's visit to West Coast : July 06
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys
I took a trip up to West Coast yesterday, the weather was lovely and the lagoon had a beautiful bright blue colour to it. I decised to check out a few of the bird hides... the hide closes to the Langebaan gate was really nice, a flock of flamingoes were close to the hide, feeding and relaxing at the waters edge, they kept us busy for a long while :D .

From the hide we also observed about 15 African Back Oystercatchers, although they are endangered these birds are becoming to be a common site along the Lagoon as well as along the rocky coast at Tsaarsbank. West Coast is doing a really good job protecting them :thumbs_up: .

The flowers are starting to bloom now, a few yellow and orange fields... flower season is coming up soon and Postberg section will be open for the pubic. I have'nt been there so I'm looking forward to see some bigger antelope.

Birds seen :
Greater Flamingoes
Southern Black Koraan
Black Oystercatcher
Greater Gallinule
Cape Bunting in nest
Common Stonechat
Blackshouldered Kite
Rock Kestrel (hovering in the sky, like a pied Kingfisher)
Blackheaded Heron (on the dunes)
Great Cormorants
Juv. Klaas Cuckoo
Pelican (flying over)
Lots of other common birds also seen...

Mammals:
Small Grey Mongoose
3 steenbok
1 cape grysbok :o

The tortoises are also starting to come out again, lots of little ones crossing the road. I didn't get to see any predator's, but I'm not giving up!
(on the way back to cape town we was 3 giraffes feeding next a fence of a private game reserve... I feel sory for those poor animals bending over trying to feed)

Leopardspotter

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

luislang wrote:
Thanks for sharing Leopardspotter! Just love the West Coast & off course Cape Town! Both you & Mark must pleeeeease post some pics of Postberg!

I'll deffinetly post a few pics of postberg when I get back. I'll probably go a few days after the gates open, when all the crowds have gone.
So keep your eyes open for the Postberg report in August...
Salva wrote:
Lovely! I love your pics and the one with the ostrich in front of the ocean is really great and shows what WCNP is all about.

Yip, thats what West Coast is all about Salva.... the white sand, the ocean and the Wildlife (all in one pic)

Hay gwen! Leopards Potter :twisted: :wink:

Thanks
Leopardspotter

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
:P :lol:
Do you have any pics of the little tortoises, lp?

Your wish is my command...
Little tortoise crossing the road:
Steenbok:
West Coast Flower:
Booming lovely Flowers: :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]