Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Kathy in Kruger : June 2006
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:36 pm 

Wow!!!!! Didn't know that 10 days could fly by so fast.....
Amazing trip. First morning saw pride of Lions right outside PKop gate. Rhino and baby ran out right in from of our vehicle on H2-2. Second day was awsome!!! Saw Cheetah, Leopard, Lion, Sable, Rhino & Ellies. Strangely, still no buffalo (all of this on route to Talamati). On S133, while going from Shimuwini to Letaba, came apon a small pride of lions right on the side of the road - not another car in sight!!!! We spent about 3/4 of an hour just watching them. They had a small cub who found us just as interesting as we found him. He stalked our car then ran back to his mom. We would pretend to drive off and he would come bounding back to the road to look for us. When we reversed back again, the stalking process started all over again. Was the most amazing moment of our whole trip. Too cute for words!!! At Biyamiti, we had amazing sightings - 4 of the big five within the first half hour. Sadly, no leopard, but a wonderful place and fabulous sightings. Must say, in general, we found the elephants very grumpy this trip. Of all the elephants that we saw, only one was friendly enough to allow a decent photo - the rest flapped their ears and generally looked very bad tempered, so we didn't hang around them more that necessary. Actually had a very harrowing experience near Letaba. Were driving along S46 and came around a very tight bend, only to find ourselves face to face with a massive extremely bad tempered ellie. To make matters worse, an elderly couple pulled in behind us and prevented us from reversing. They could not see the elephant! Well, I had my two small children in the car, and needless to say, I yelled at my husband to such a degree that he was not sure who was more dangerous, me or the elephant. The couple eventually sensed our panic and reversed off the road. When we were safe and on our way again, we had a good giggle, but at the time it was a little frightening to say the least. All in all, it was a wonderful trip. Can not wait for next year!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]