Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ThinusB's Best ever Leopard sightings. KNP, May '06
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:54 am 

If I had to listen to my own story from someone else, I would probably thought it's nonsense! My first visit to the Kruger on the S25 between Berg en Dal and Crocodile bridge we saw an Leopard in the middle of the dusty road still killing an Impala! my third visit to KNP we saw in total 3 Leopards, one at skukuza gate {approx. 1km out} and it was sitting about 3-5metres from the roadside! the second one was on our way to Lower Sabie where a young leopard was sitting under the tree right next to the road, the irony is that the cars infront of us drove past it! the third was far into the bush in a tree close to afsaal! I love Leopard and I think that's why I have the luck with Leopard sightings!

Please tell me about your unique Leopard sightings

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:35 am 

Thinus

Interesting story there, Last year October we were sitting at skukuza by the river just before sunset where we saw a leopard running after a impala on the other side of the river, it both of them dissapeared behind the old railway bridge but it was amazing, the onyl thing we normally see there is elephants, impala's etc ...

The people there also talked about seeing the leopard later the same night (bout 11 pm ) at the river but I didn't

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi guys!
Welcome.

Thinus- those are some great stories man!!

I have yet to see a leopard kill although I have seen quite a few leopards. One of the better sightings was on the S102 down south- a leopard kill was in a tree and a male lion was trying to get at it from below. When he left the scene- a big male leopard jumped up the tree, while the female came and lay down in the road. He ate a bit and then slept- and she got up and moved into the bush.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

matthew wrote:
One of the better sightings was on the S102 down south- a leopard kill was in a tree and a male lion was trying to get at it from below. When he left the scene- a big male leopard jumped up the tree, while the female came and lay down in the road. He ate a bit and then slept- and she got up and moved into the bush.

I wonder: what are those other "better sightings"? You're sure this wasn't your best leopard sighting? :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It was definately one of the best! We had to leave- would have been late for camp!
I have to give top spot to the leopard visiting my grandfathers ashes at Orpen dam- he was virtually lying the spot they were scattered the previous year on the same date! My father and I were alone with the leopard for ages.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Many years ago we came out of Olifantdrinkgat where there were a pride of lion at the furtherest drinking trough. We decided to flash a couple of oncoming cars to tell them of the sighting. One of these cars was a kombi filled with students. They told us that a couple of km's down the road there was an impala kill in a tree which was literally right next to the road. Well it was more than a couple of km's and sure enough there was the impala kill. There was only one other car there and they informed us that thekill had been in the tree for approximately 6 hours but that there was no sign of the leopard. We were on our way out of the Park and had booked an overnight stay at the Bambi motel at Machadorp. We decided to stay for a while and see what happened. Well what unfolded was staggering - the leopard returned (a handsome male) and with one leap was in the tree. Now to put this in perspective - we had to bend over sideways to see up into the overhanging branch that is how close it was to the road. The leopard proceeded to lick a whole lot of fur off with its tongue - this fur actually drifted down and into our vehicle. He then disembowelled the impala and you can imagine in October temperatures after 6 hours what that smelt like. We had a young lass with us from England who in between heaving managed to get the kind of pictures one can only dream about. Unfortunately the sighting turned into a bun fight when ultimately there were in excess of 100 cars and some folk did not even know what we were looking at they were so far back. We were well and truly parked in and did not get away until a ranger came through and cleared a path. Needless to say we did not get to the Motel until 9 p.m. thatnight. I have often wondered if anyone in the cars around us got footage of the incident as it would have been wonderful to get a copy. This was many years before we owned a video camera!

Really the only other sighting to top this was the wild dog killing an impala right on the Croc bridge enctrance causeway right next to our car and having our footage appear on 50/50.

6.01.15 Elephant Walk Retreat
7.01.15 to 09.01.15 Satara
09.01.15 - 16.01.15 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Believe it or not, I was fortunate enough to see a leopard crossing the road on my very first trip to KNP back in 81. Thereafter things just got better and better...leopards, leopards and more leopards.
This leopard was seen on the way to Skukuza coming from Numbi. LOG.
On the way down from Oliphants to Satara a few ks before Satara LIT
Satara to Orpen-LIT
Satara to Orpen-LOG
Orpen to Talamati-LIB
Near Muzandzeni-LOG
On the road to Rabelias-2XLOG
Skukuza TO Paul Kruger-LIB
Skukuza to LS-LOG
Skukuza to LS-LOG
Skukuza to LS-LWC
Skukuza to LS-LOG
Malelane to Skukuza-LOG
Malelane night driveLIT+LOG=ML(mating leopards)
Malelane to Skukuza-LIT
Malelane to Skukuza-LIT
Malelane to Skukuza-LIT
Tshokwane to Skukuza-LOG
LS to CB-LWC
Therefore, all told I have seen twenty two leopards to date.
The most on any one trip was back in 2004 when we saw 3 in one day and another two a few days later during our sunset drive from Malelane, making it 5 in one trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:42 pm 

Dear Wildchild

You don't have a clue of how fortunate you are, do you?
There's people I know of that didn't see a Leopard yet, and they've been going there for over 30 years!! We just got it lucky and I am only 20 years old and are hoping to have the luck that you had so far!!!

We are touring through the Kruger this July and hopefully I'll see a feww goood sightings {especially of Leopards}!!!

Thinus

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
We have seen quite a lot of leopards and once we saw four leopards in one week but the best sight we had with a leopard was the leopard killing a warthog.We were driving from Satara to Olofants on the H1-4. We saw some cars standing on the right side of the road. We stopped and there was sitting a Leopard just beside one of the cars.We stand on the left side of the road and could just see the leopard between two cars. At once the leopard start walking through the cars to the other side of the road, our side. Was sitting again and start to scratch with her claw into the ground. Then hell break loose. 4 Warthogs came out of the ground and the leopard jumped on the last one and made his kill just 3 meters away of our car.I made a film of it and my SO had made more than 40 pic's of it. She will use them for a story in a magazine.Big experience. :wink:

Image :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:30 am 

Hey Nico

I See you are from Holland!! For me it's always nice to see that the Kruger satisfies tourists from other countries!!
You guys are very lucky to see the whole thing happening right in front of you!!!
I assume you read my story in this forum? Unfortunately when we saw the Leopard Killing the Impala, we just missed the "chase" because when we came there the Impala was still kicking and snorting, but the dust was hanging in the air! what made that experience so special is the fact that we were the only car there and when another car arrived it was all over and the Leopard was gone

Will you guys be returning to South Africa again sometime?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:39 am 

Hey Penny I just wrote your post and it made me quite jealous to say the least!!

I am a Leopard Freak and if you guys keep posting me these story's I think I will be taking an early retirement {I'm only 20 now} and will go do Leopard "hunting" I will do just about anything to see a great sighting such as yours!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:11 pm 

Nico

NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will never be able to kill a Leopard in fact I will never be able to kill any animal, I will feel to guilty and that's why I'm totally against any type of hunting!!

When I said "hunting" I meant with my eyes!!!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:55 pm 

When I was in the Kruger in 2003 I also saw 3 leopards on one day! I can't remember where they were. The first was lying flat into the grass and later run off. The second one was sitting on a rock next to the road. When a second car came he walked away slowly through the grass. The last one was crossing the road we were riding. A very good day...

I hope I have this kind of luck again this year!

Post subject: Best sightings ever
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:56 am 

What is your best or favorite sighting :?:

Mine was in december 2005, we were staying at bergendal . while walking along the fence a person told me there was a leopard kill near the fence :shock: i rushed over there to find a leopard draging an impala in his mouth. he dropped it behind a rock :twisted: he was there for 2days only coming out at night to feed. (i will never forget the sound of bones cracking)
on the final night we were watching him and saw a single hyena come runing down the river bed and chase him a way. the hyena picked it up and ran off with it :!: (never thought a single hyena could chase a fully grown leopard a way)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:11 pm 

while in kruger at the end of april , we spotted something that looked like a small cat cross the road. we drove up slowly being careful not to scare it away . it is amazing how quick they dissapear :!: we kept searching for it when a little leopard head poped up . next to the road from the long grass it must have been 1.5 to 2 years old . fantastic sight .but it shows how many things we miss laying in long grass. :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next