Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sightings and Roads
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:15 pm 
Guru
Guru

Good afternoon everyone :D

I have been a bit out of office the last two days, but here comes a wetter version of our report from Biyamiti.

You probably guessed right – it was raining again in the last two days.
• The Biyamiti weir is closed again – lots of water coming down in the Biyamiti. Looking great.
• S114 is closed again – the temporary repair was only that – the water took it with.
• Crocodile Bridge is still closed.

Sightings:
2006/03/28:
• S25 Croc Bridge
• Two young nomad lion males seen about 7km from the camp.
• They were walking in the road for a km or so – trying to get out of the wet grass.
• Hippo Pool Pride about 17km from Biyamiti – we only saw one female and two cubs as they disappeared into the bush.

• H2-2
• Big Elephant bull – smelly guy I must say – kept and eye on us changing a guest car’s wheel in the rain.

• 18k’s
• Elephant herd – about 25 animals – babies to bulls.
• Blocked the road for a while.
• Young one charged the vehicle in big protest when I drove past. :shock:

2006/03/29
• S25 Malelane
• Hyena on the road – looking pretty lost for a while.
• Two fish eagles at the Lwakahle River – sitting next to the road.
• One spread its wings and glided onto the low water bridge (cement slab) taking a scrambling fish with him as he took to a large tree opposite side of the river.
• Elephant – herd of about 5 bulls close to S114.

• H2-2
• Herd of buffalo spread out over a fairly dense valley – probably about 50 animals.

Best wishes from the bush :D

Post subject: Sightings & Roads
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:14 pm 
Guru
Guru

Greetings from Biyamiti :D

We are experiencing a lovely sunny (not too hot) day in the bush. I was out early this morning and was fortunate to have seen quite a lot (only two of the big five), but a lot of busyness especially the baboons on the 18k’s with all their antics :lol: , groups of dwarf and banded mongooses all pretty wet from last nights heavy dew. Also had two white rhino sleeping on the road on the 18k’s about 7 km from the camp.

Sightings:
2006/03/30
• 18k’s
• Rhino, elephant, buffalo, giraffe

• S25 Croc Bridge
• Rhino, Ellies – lots of plains game.
• Two male and two female lion 7km from camp.

• S114
• Pride – 1 male and some female – 8km north of Biyamiti weir.

• Walk
• Three white rhino – a good view of.

2006/03/31
• S25 Croc Bridge
• Penny & party was stuck with group of elephant for 1 hour at the Biyamiti Bridge (The ellies were in no hurry)

• 18K’s
• Two white rhino sleeping in the road (they looked a little annoyed when I came along and woke them) :oops:
• Two groups of ellies – a bit kinder than Penny’s (mine were not blocking the road.

• Camp
• Purple crested loerie
• Pair of Fish Eagles – magnificent call.
• Woodlands Kingfisher – probably coming to say goodbye.

Roads & Bridges
• All the roads to Biyamiti has been opened again (S114, S118 and Biyamiti Weir)
• Crocodile Bridge is still swimming – probably doing backstroke by now.

Warm regards from the bush :D

Post subject: Sightings & Roads
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:36 pm 
Guru
Guru

We are back in the summer again – a tropical 30ºC 8) with lots of sunshine. I am watching the vervet monkeys feeding their faces in the Buffalo Thorn tree in front of reception. Quite a bunch of characters – these guys. One can see how the hierarchy works downwards. When a dominant one bites or scolds a lesser individual – he does not retaliate – rather go and chase another one lower down on the hierarchy. Eventually all of them are running around and screaming.

Sightings:
2006/04/01
At least the animals did not pull an April fools joke on us:
• S114 / H5
• Just south of Renoster Koppies – Lion (not sure how many)
• Between Biyamiti weir and Bume road – 6 lionesses in the road.
• Between Biyamiti weir and H2-2 – 4 lionesses in the road.

• 18k’s
• Lots of ellies and at least four sightings of white rhino.

• 4k’s
• Two groups of ellies and one herd of buff.

2006/04/02
• Ellies and rhino in all directions.
• Two leopard close to the Bume Bridge on S25
• Leopard close to Malelane gate. (nice traffic jam)

• Walk
• Had good sightings of buffalo and white rhino on the walk this morning.

Roads:
All roads in the area are open.

Crocodile Bridge:
Water is dropping quickly now – hopefully it will be opened in a day or two. (It needs to come up for some air now.)

:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:15 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

They are mostly here (Biyamiti) or here (Tripreport).

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Biyamiti Sightings
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:44 pm 
Guru
Guru

We had an unexpected (30% chance) shower this afternoon; just to settle some of the dust on the roads. I am sitting in reception looking out at the two paradise flycatchers (male & female) fluttering around in the Weeping-Boer-Bean tree. I could do with their looks (they are beautiful), but glad I don’t have to loose my tail when breeding season is over.

Today has been a day of all sorts:

2006/04/03
• 18ks
• Elephant – lone bulls, herds, mixed herds all playing in the water.
• Buffalo – Dagga Boy – gave us a scary look – but I was not afraid – my daughter said :angel: : “Don’t worry dad, we’ve got a 4x4.” He must have heard her as me moved off.
• Dwarf (many) and slender (about four) mongooses.
• Hinged (1) and Leopard Tortoises (6).
• Giraffe

• Biyamiti Loop
• Large herd of Buffalo – lazing in the Biyamiti River.
• One herd of ellies.

• S114
• Grey Heron at Biyamiti Weir.
• Waterbuck
• Fish, Tawny eagles and Bateleur.
• Chameleon – helped him off the road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Stephen,

Do you still remember in 2001 the giraffe carcass 1km from camp that caused the lion and buffalo clash.

It was the only time I have ever been late back at camp.

We also saw the long crested eagle in the same vicinity then

Kind regards,
BB

Post subject: Back Again
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:32 pm 
Guru
Guru

Greetings from the bush. :D

Please pardon my absence for the last couple of days – had network (or not-work) problems.

Bert

My wife and kids are staying with me in the camp – this is home. We drive to school in Komatipoort (Outside Crocodile Bridge) every day – I do the morning trip and my wife the afternoon.

DuQues

I like capitals – spelt with a W. You will have to stay over – otherwise I will have to stick to Coke.

BB

That is one evening I will probably never forget. Buffalo and lion chasing each other while the hyena tried their luck on the sideline – spectacular!

Jazil

Definitely – was watching a barred owl from my window just now - quite amazing.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:22 pm 
Guru
Guru

Greetings to all :D

The “Notwork” has prevented me to post sightings for the last couple of days and I have to apologise to you if you came looking for some marvellous bush sightings and found empty spaces.

I have included a couple of pics I took in the last couple of days, unfortunately not of all the sightings we had in the area.

Two young nomad males on S25 to Croc Bridge

Sunset from the Biyamiti Weir

Bull (on five legs) following a herd around on Biyamiti Loop,

Highlights of the last couple of days:

2006/04/07
Three leopard for the day – 4km side (2km from camp); T-junction S139 & S114 and one down on the Mlambane Loop.

2006/04/08
Three lionesses killed impala on 18km road.
Leopard on Sunset Drive.

2006/04/09
Wild Dog S25 to Croc Bridge and S28 between Croc Bridge and Lower Sabie.

Buffalo, Rhino and Elephant every day everywhere.

Warm bush greetings :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:30 pm 
Guru
Guru

Greetings from the bush :D

On my way to Malelane this morning I caught up with the Mlambane Pride (or part of). They were in the Mlambane River bed on the S25. Here are some of the pics.

Two young female

Lazing on the sand

Young male drinking water

More lazing on the sand

Young female drinking water

Two young female - still very playful

These rhino were sleeping in the Matjulu Riverbed on the H3

Elephant on the S25
Mongooses everywhere - dwarf and slender
Martial Eagle on Mlambane Loop
Long tailed shrikes
Warthogs on S25
Impala - they are starting their rutting season already

Warm wishes :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

Some doggies on the H3 just north of the Biyamiti Loop turn-off. They were chased around by three zebra shortly after these photos were taken.

A young Martial on the S25 towards Malelane.

The other sightings for the day included:

Big elephant bull manning the gate at six this morning. Luckily he was good and could be convinced to leave the scene without too much of a fuss – (only a branch in the road to be removed)
Adult martial just outside Biyamiti camp.
Quite a number of immature Bateleur
Two sightings of Ground Hornbill
Lion just south of Renosterkoppies.
Two adult Bateleur bathing and drying at Mpondo Dam.
Three lots of leopard dung on the 18k's (no spotted cat though)
Giant eagle owl on the 4k’s – braving the daylight hours.

Warm regards:D

Post subject: Biyamiti Sightings and Walk
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:26 pm 
Guru
Guru

Jazil – after 16 years in the hospitality sector I have learnt that the word “please” goes a long way (a bit of clapping the hands helps as well – nothing like and elephant that thinks he is getting applause! :wink: )

The spotted cats eventually came to the party yesterday afternoon just before gate closing. On the S25 towards Malelane about 5km from the camp one of our guests had the good fortune of seeing one. Not sure whether it was male or female.

At about the same time another of our guests saw another leopard about three km to the other side of the camp – 18km side just other side of the look-out. A very dark male (I think) right next to the road.

I was out on a morning walk this morning at 05:30. Unfortunately I could not take pictures, was carrying a rifle, but would nevertheless like to relate the following sightings to you.

We drove to the Biyamiti Bridge on the S25 and parked the vehicle there. There were waterbuck downstream from us, green-back heron and giant king fisher next to the bridge and three buffalo lying on the sand upstream from the bridge. We decided not to bother the buff as it would have been very difficult to approach with too thick stuff on the back side and nothing to protect from the front. Instead we made our way away from the river into the bush.

At first we looked and listened to birds spoke about plants and other small things. The relative calm of the bush was suddenly broken by the trumpet of elephant in the valley to our left. We listened and realised that it was a big herd spread over some distance and decided not to approach as the area was too thick. Instead we concentrated on the small things and saw garden-orb spiders (about six times), bark spider and more trees and flowers.

While still looking at some of the vegetation Elias made me aware of a rhino passing by at about 25m. As the wind swirled he picked up our scent and stood turning radar scanners in all directions. I picked a retreating spot should the rhino start to run in our direction, but he decided to move off away from us and we silently watched him crushing through the bush.

We continued our walk looking at spoor and small things and listening to the elephant moving in the valley to the left. We basically circled the elephant herd and got to an open spot in the bush where our patience was rewarded. First a bull crossed the clearing about 30 m in front of us. Then the rest of the herd started moving into the opening a little further away. As it was a big herd spread over some distance we decided to take a break while watching the elephant. What a lovely experience watching the herd interact.

Eventually we decided to move on and made our way through the widely spread out herd. One cow paid some attention too us and then moved off as we stared her down, but the others just ignored us flat (probably keeping a look at us while pretending not to notice).

We had more dung and prints to look at and got three fresh black rhino markings as well. About 1km from the vehicle we had buffalo in the thick bushes, but decided to pass them by. We saw a family of warthogs at close range (8m away just looking at us before putting up their aerials and went off into the bush).

By the time we got back to the bridge the three buffalo from earlier moved to an easier spot and we had a good view of them. As we got to the vehicle a guest in one of the vehicles watching the buff told us about two lionesses that went into the bush on the opposite side of the river. We went looking!! And found them!! 8) Only a quick view, but a view on foot of the lion nevertheless!!

We needed the leopard to complete the big five – but had to settle for a tortoise of the same description.

Just another great day in the bush.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:42 am 
Guru
Guru

MM it is like calling one of the best 4x4’s a Landy or my kids a “Patroontjie” – I just love the doggies.

Speaking of DOGGIES:

17:15 – 2006/04/15 – S25 just east of the Bume River. Group of eight wild dogs running in the road. All very playful and happy. Whole lot of guest following them around – until a “pop-out” took pictures from their sunroof. The doggies scattered in all direction. (The term “pop-out” is not a SANParks term – learnt it from a guest). At least they came back onto the road when all the cars left and our sunset drive could get a good look at them.

The two young nomad male lions crossed the Biyamiti and were on their way down the S25 at gate closing yesterday. We followed them for a while. They literally dived into the bush and (it sounded very likely) caught an Impala 8) . Impala scattered in all direction, but came back staring and snorting into a thick patch for another while. We could not see through the thick stuff though.

The leopard on the S25 5km from the camp to Malelane was seen yesterday morning again. Probably vanished with the two nomads coming into the area.

Warms regards from the bush.

Post subject: Biyamiti sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:25 pm 
Guru
Guru

It looks as if the winter is dawning on us with some real cooler weather coming our way since yesterday evening. Well, summer can not last for ever!!

I heard about the two young nomads yesterday afternoon again – still heading west. So we went looking for them yesterday afternoon. On the way there we had elephant and buffalo together in the Biyamiti.

The sun was setting fast and with beautiful colours - the photo unfortunately does not show it with all its splendour.

We eventually found the two males about 500m west of the Lwakahle River on the S25. At first we could only see the one and I tried to get some pics. It was fast getting dark – had to resort to “nite-pix” – so no colour.

This was the end of a yawn (not a lion irritated with the spotlight.)

This was just before they got up and went west again – wonder what is down that side?

On the way back we had the ellies on the road. Strange to see the grey masses floating in the dark. They were good so we passed by without a problem.

This morning it was up early again – school started again. The wind blew all but the impalas away. On the way back I saw a herd of about 50 buff from the Biyamiti bridge though.

Warms regards from the bush :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Stephen, I really look forward to your posts which are truly excellent. Biyamiti is truly top notch! We stayed there in December 2004 and went on the morning walk with Dumisano. Here is a picture of the sunrise on the walk:

As we neared the dry riverbed, he was startled by a lioness lounging around which was even more startled than him because of which it spurted away. in the riverbed, we saw this spoor:

Dumisano tracked a family od rhino which we cautiously approached. Here are some pics:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:44 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Bush greetings

Going to school yesterday was fairly quick – not too many roadblocks and traffic jams. We saw white headed and white backed vultures as well as ground hornbills. Giraffe and impala also paid us a visit next to the road.

Coming back was a bit busier. Three herds of elephant with their young ones running around with rubbery trunks. A distant lion sighting 12km from Biyamiti and buffalo at the Biyamiti Bridge.

I went to Skukuza yesterday midday and did not expect to see much. On the 18k’s I had a pair of duiker - unfortunately only a brief sighting. Saw quite a nr of leopard (tortoises) 4 in total. This one was a flower girl. :wink:

At the Biyamiti Weir I had two Nile monitors sizing each other up. They were too quick in the squabble and I only managed separate photographs. Needless to say the big one won the sunny spot. :roll:

I had a pair of Klipspringer on a rocky outcrop on the H1-1 just north of the H3 t-junction. Did not have my camera stand so most of the pics were fairly blurry. :redface:

Just before we left for school today two lion gave all still sleeping in the camp a wake-up call – roaring from opposite the river 8) . We did not see them though.

This morning was good for elephant, buffalo, giraffe and white backed vultures. I had a good view of a martial eagle flying low over the bush, sending all the smaller creatures running for cover. At the S139 turnoff on the S25 I had this pair of fish eagles.

Bushbaby – we have to get up at 05:15 and leave for school at 06:00 to be in Komati at 07:00. I can think of a lot worse roads to travel to school to, so no complaints from me.

Wildchild – nice pics – Dumisane did half a job of polishing the rhino though.

Warm regards :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next