Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 12 of 12
 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Walking With Jock
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In the video you will see Lazarus, always sharing information with the guests.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After finishing our coffee on the koppie, it was time to go back to the cruiser. I saw this Black-headed_Oriole sitting in a tree just staring at us.

Did You Know? :hmz:
The name Oriole, was derived from old French oriol, which in turn was derived from the Latin aureolus meaning yellow or golden.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Did You Know?
As in the case with most co-operative breeders, the alpha pair in the magpie shrike family group only get assistance from the helpers when it comes to feeding the incubating female and the nestlings.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The giraffe is known as a "kameelperd" in Afrikaans which directly translate to Camel-Horse. The reason for this name is because the giraffe walks like a camel, but runs like a horse.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The horns of male giraffe generally grow parallel to each other or outwards at a slight angle. They are robust and encircled with black hairs that become less conspicuous with age as the horns are rounded and polished by fighting.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Female giraffe have narrow horns (ossicles) that are totally covered at the tips with small, pointed tufts of black hair.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The giraffe is one of only two living species of the family Giraffidae, the other being the okapi.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On our way back to the Lodge, Lazarus stopped at a drinking hole in the riverbed and explained how animals would try and find the water under the sand.

In pure Lazarus style, he jumped out next to a hole and show us in detail how the animals would get to the water.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After we arrived back at the Lodge, it was time for brunch. The food was delicious and Patatjie and I then decided that we would like to go for a guided bush walk.

Lazarus asked one of the other rangers, called Patrick, to assist with the guided walk.

You can only walk in the company of an approved field guide or ranger.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our group consisted of 6 people, with Leeukos and Patatjie on the right. It then occurred to me that I am Leeukos (lion-food). This is not a good idea to go for a walk in the bush, if your name is Leeukos.

The golden rule while on a guided walk is not to run, unless you can outrun your buddy. (only joking :whistle: )

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lost in the Bushveld

There were three rifle cartridges and a few damp matches left. There was no sun to dry them now, but I laid them out carefully on the smooth warm rock and hoped that at least one would serve to light up a camp fire. There was no time to waste; while the light lasted I had to drag up wood for the fire and pick a place for camp – somewhere where the rocks behind and the fire in front would shelter us from the lions and hyenas, where I could watch and listen for signals in the night.

There was plenty of wood nearby, and thinking anxiously of the damp matches I looked about for dry tinder grass so that any spark would give a start to fire. As I stooped to look for the grass I came on a patch of bare ground between scattered tufts, and in the middle of it lay there a half burnt match. Such a flood of relief and hope surged up that my heart beat up in my throat. Where there were matches there had been men! We were not in the wild, then, where men seldom went – not off the beaten track; perhaps not far from the road itself. You must experience it to know what it meant at that moment.

It drew me on to look for more! A yard away I found the burnt end of a cigarette; and before there was time to realize why that should seem queer, I came on eight or ten matches with their heads knocked off. For the moment things seemed to go round and round. I sat down with my back against a rock and a funny choky feeling in my throat. I knew they were my matches and cigarette, and that we were exactly where we had started from hours before, when we gave up chase of the kudu. I began to understand things then; why places and landmarks seemed familiar; why Jock’s spoor in the molehill had pointed the wrong way; why my shadow was in front of me and behind and beside me in turns. We had been going in circle.

I jumped up and looked about me with fresh light; and it was clear as noonday. Why, this was the fourth time we had been on or close to some part of this same rise that day, each time within fifty yards of the same place; it was the second time I had sat on that very rock. And there was nothing odd or remarkable about that either, for each time we had picked the same lookout point. The relief of really understanding was so great that the thought of a night out no longer worried me.

Sir Percy Fitzpatrick
19 February 1886

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12