Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Diagnosed a Kruger Addict
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:59 pm 

Those Cheetahs looked very healthy. Just a pity that the light was on the wrong side from a photography perspective. Sadly it would seem that one of these was the animal involved in the road accident.

I can feel a special edition episode coming up soon. Reading this TR makes me miss the Bushveld very much.

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 9 CONTINUED .......

The afternoon was spent in the shade of the stoep, watching the game go by. This was far more comfortable than the 40 degree baking car. (I refuse to drive with the windows up and the air con on. It just tskes away that Kruger feeling for me). Once the temperatures had slightly cooled down, we headed out.
We spotted what looked like a tawny, but not 100% sure, with a kill in the tree.

After photos had been taken, we left it in peace to finish it's lunch and we carried on. We came across, what I think, is one of the most beautiful antelope, a nyala. We didn't actually get to see too many of them this trip but this guy was so skittish. I managed to get his picture just before he darted off into the bush.

We arrived on the scene, just a few minutes too late to watch these two large, grey masses bathing, but it looked like the elephants had given themselves a good washing down, as they were sopping wet.

It always amazes me how quietly these gentle giants can walk through the bush so quietly with such big feet.

Just like that, the two of them disappeared off down the road and into the bush.

Next we came across two waterbuck. I just love their wooly, shaggy looking coats with their distinct white ring around their bum so others can follow when running from prey.

It would seem the cats weren't quite done with us, not just yet, and these two magnificent lions were out in the open, waiting to show themselves to us.

Just look at how big his paws are.

The lioness certainly looked like she had seen better days and had recently been in the war zone. She was covered in battle scars.

The male on the other hand, looked in great condition with a beautiful, dark mane, well fed and very relaxed.

WOW another great drive. I can't ever remember a trip where we were truely spoiled with so many great sightings. One more loop to drive, would there be any last treats waiting for us :hmz: .

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 9 CONTINUED..........AND LAST DRIVE

We started our last drive with a nice road block (it sure beats the four-wheeled kind). These normally skittish impalas almost seemed to not want to move off the road. It was almost as if there were telling us to stay.

After they eventually cleared off the road, we continued with our drive. The roads appeared a bit "empty" however we managed to have our second sighting of the comb duck.

We stopped to watch the hippos playing in the water. It was so beautiful with the afternoon sun setting on them.

It looked like the day was a bit too much for some and a few had a BIG yawn.

It seemed the yawn was contagious and soon there was a pod of yawning hippos. There was one in particular that was very impressive.

It was great to just sit and watch these huge mammals, and listen to one of the most iconic sounds of the African water.

After leaving the hippos, we saw a giant kingfihser. It turned it's back to us and was very uncooperative when it came to having its picture taken. So we had to be happy with this one.

The brown hooded kingfisher was a bit "friendlier".

The lighting was fading quickly and we had to make our way back home. The owls had been very scarce this trip (more so than usual) however we were treated with a sighting of a Verreaux's eagle owl. The lighting was terrible but I had to get a photo of this guy and our last sighting of Kruger.

We ended our last evening in Kruger with lovely Christmas festivities and reminisced over our fantastic December trip that had been filled with wonderful sightings, the most cats we had even seen, unique experiences, some new bird lifers, and a few endangered species.

Sadly our trip has come to an end. However I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for following and commenting on our TR. It makes it more fun and worthwhile writing it. It's great to be able to know that we can share our passion and sightings of the bush with like minded people, and it is appreciated.

I read a quote the other day and I thought to myself how true

"Everything in Africa bites, but the safari bug is the worst of all" - Brian Jackson

I have obviously been bitten by this bug and I am not sure I want to be cured. I am quite content with being diagnosed a Kruger addict.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

SPECIAL EDITION

I thought I would share some of the wonderful rhino sightings we had throughout our trip. In total we saw 42 white rhinos (the black rhinos continue to hide from us). Such a great pleasure to see these wonderful creatures but one can't help wondering what their future holds and how long they will still be around.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 pm 

The size of these creatures and the speed at which they move is just amazing. To think that there was a little car behind the rhino in the last picture.

Oh and the search for our first ever black rhino continues. Old Hook-lip better be in a good mood come May and also willing to be seen. This game is seriously one sided.

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Last edited by Riaanf31 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Last post but had some extra photos that did not make the story but couldn't be left out (some are on my favourite sightings list)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3