Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 3 Camps 31 Days in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Manicwalker, Hilda, Barryels, Isinkwe, Nkulu, Pumbaa for being with me on this trip.
When I think of the rhino I am very sad. It is a disgrace the way they are slaughtered.
I think all we can do (and I quote Trrp-trrrrrrrr and Meandering Mouse) is to pray that somehow they will survive.
Yes, my rhino photos are very special. We did not see as many rhino as the previous year.
Whenever we came across a rhino we wanted to stay there as long as possible just looking at them......

Trrp-trrrrrrrr:

Quote:
:pray: they will be around for a long time still and that the madness ends soon. :twisted:

Meandering Mouse:
Quote:
They have survived so many natural disasters through thousands and thousands of years. Lets :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: that they can survive human greed.

Photo taken 2012

I wanted to complete my TR before Xmas, but it was not possible. The next few posts will have to wait until after the holidays. :( :(

You have become great friends and travel companions!!!! Thank you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I wish all the forumites a wonderful Xmas and New Year. I hope you all will have a great time with your loved ones.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The holidays are over, the family has returned to Gauteng and we are already in the second week of 2014!
I wish I was still in Kruger……
Fortunately I can relive our stay by writing about our experiences in my TR!!!!!!

The N’wagovila Hill with its stunning views is a lovely spot.

Some of the animals we saw on our way to the N'wagovila Hill:

At the N'wagovila Hill a woman showed us photos that she had taken on the Salitje Road.
Lions had killed a giraffe next to the road. Because it was still early we decided to return to LS via the Salitje Road.
Quite a detour, but maybe we will witness something we have never seen before.
When we arrived at the scene there was a huge traffic jam. We saw the carcass of the gifaffe, but no lions and moved on as fast as we could.
The smell was unbearable.

We were lucky to see these lions a few km from the carcass.

The next day we took my eldest son to the Mpumalanga International Airport. It was time to go back to Cape Town.
Driving towards Skukuza I was very surprised when SO suggested that we should go and see what was left of the giraffe.

Because it was still early, there were not many cars.
Mr Lion was guarding his prize.
A scene you do not see every day.

Near Nkuhlu we saw 2 very lazy lion.

When returning from the airport 5 lions near the Phabenigate.

We were tired and sad to say goodbye to my son.
But it was so good to be back in LS.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SurfCindy: The baby ellies are so cute. Wish I could take one home ........... :wink:

Trr-trrrrrrrr:
Quote:
Wow!!! another kill. :shock: ..you must have a kill magnet as I remember you had a Buff kill at Punda last year. :tongue: :thumbs_up: very 8)

Yes, the angry ellies chasing the lions away from the kill was a once in a life time experience

Bushguy:
Quote:
"I'm too tried and stuffed to watch, so let me just prop my head up in this tree fork to look like I am awake ! That should keep the pesky Hyenas away! :sleep: "

Exactly!!!! :) :)

Carol g: Thank you. It is my pleasure.

Meandering Mouse: The baboons are very entertaining. Never a dull moment with them. :) :)

Pumbaa:
Quote:
Awesome lion sighting, especial the male gurading the giraffe :dance: :dance: :dance:

Not the kind of sighting you see every day. We were so lucky. The lion looked tired from gaurding the prize.

Isinkwe: Thank you! We were spoiled!!! :D :D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

THE LEOPARD IS THE PRINCE OF THE ANIMAL KINGDOM!!

At 7.20 on the 12th of September we drove on the H4-1. Less than 1 km from LS we saw a movement on the right side of the road. It happened so quickly. But we knew it was a leopard. We were disappointed, we thought he had already disappeared in the bush. But the next moment he was there, looking at us with those incredible eyes. Then the unexpected happened: he laid down, still watching us. He was not more than 3m from our car. I think I completely forgot to breath. This was the most beautiful leopard I have ever seen. It was one of the greatest moments of my life. When a car stopped next to us he disappeared. But he was ours for a few incredible minutes.

When we came back from Kruger I read on the Forum about a leopard with a snare around his neck near LS. I thought it was not possible.
How can this happen? I am sure this is the same leopard that we saw. There is a leopard near LS that many people have seen and photographed.
I had a photo of the leopard enlarged to display it with my special collection. The enlargement was made before I read about the leopard with the snare. Every time I look at this photo I want to cry

Please read the post at: Forum National Park Clusters: Kruger National Park.
The topic is: Leopard With Snare Near Lower Sabie, posted by SeanP.

The photo of the leopard with the snare was taken by cptphotographer.

What a sad way to end this post.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SUNSET DAM (1)

One of our favorite places is the Sunset Dam. When staying in LS the best way to end your day is to sit at the dam and relax.
You will be surprised what you may see ........
The previous year we could not believe our eyes when 2 cheetah came out of the bush.

This year we have seen a variety of animals at the dam.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SUNSET DAM (2)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS TERRIBLE DAY.

On 9 September 2013we left Lower Sabie to drive to Crocodile Bridge on the H4-2. At 9.30 am we came across a family of warthogs.
I quickly took this picture before they disappeared into the bush.

On 16 September we drove to Crocodile Bridge. Only a few km from LS at 9.15 we came upon a terrible carnage.
I could not believe what I saw.

I wrote on the Forum: National Park Clusters: Kruger National Park.
The topic is: Road Carnage in Kruger.

In the road two little warthogs were lying dead. They were hit by a truck/car/van.
It was a most upsetting scene. I can still see them running behind their mother with their tails straight up in the air ……The next moment a car driving too fast killing them.
The one still having a convulsion before it died. Whether it is the same little warthogs I do not know. It may be the same pair, now lying dead near each other.

On 12 September we came upon this little monkey .

This means that in less than a week we saw 3 dead animals that was hit by irresponsible people driving too fast.

How many animals get killed by people driving too fast? We are only the visitors, the outsiders in their animal world. We must respect them.

I was so upset I wanted to go home. This is not what I want to see in this special place. What upset me the most is that this killing has nothing to do with the foodchain, but stupid people driving too fast.
That afternoon I stayed in the camp and could not stop crying.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

THE MOST AMAZING NIGHT DRIVE

It was almost time to say goodbye to Kruger. I did not want to leave Kruger with such sadness inside me. Although I was terribly upset about the little warthogs, the good angels had something special in mind to comfort me……

We went for a drive and found 13 lions next to the Sabie River. I knew that Kruger will always be a very special place, the good experiences more than the bad ones. A croc was protecting the leftovers of the kudu carcass. There were many vultures. One even tried to steal meat from under the croc. I think even the croc had enough to eat!! Beautiful, beautiful lions!!!

On our way back to LS we saw a huge herd of buffalo in the river.

Back at the camp SO gave me the great news that he booked a night drive for that evening.

Some people are lucky and see great things on a night drive. But you can also be very unlucky. I know someone who was so disappointed because they only saw a hare and an owl!!!

First I must tell you that I have never been on a night drive!!! I was so exited. We had a wonderful guide. Her name is Martie. She gave information about animals, plants etc. Martie was an exceptionally good guide.

The first animal that we came across was a hyena, then we saw a little hare. Martie suddenly stopped and a big male lion crossed the road.
We were still looking at the male lion while he disappeared into the bush when somebody whispered: “Just look at that!!!” Lions, lions, lions ! All 13 lions of the afternoon lying in the road!!!! We counted them to be sure!!! Before I went on the night drive I had decided just to sit and enjoy this drive, but I could not help taking a few photos. I was not prepared for such a sighting and we were only a few km from the camp!!!

We did not want to leave the lions but there was more in store for us on this drive:

A rhino disappearing into the bush
A hippo with a baby
A duiker
A few impala
A teenager ellie with an attitude. He made a mock charge in the direction of the truck.
2 hyenas
An Africa Civet Cat.

When we reached the turning point, Martie switched the engine off. She said we were going to sit for 2 minutes and listen to the voice of the bush. All around us the night was so incredible quiet. That was an amazing experience. I will always remember that feeling of being part of the bush. Thank you, Martie. You were a great guide!!! Well done.

On our way back the 13 lions were still lying in the road. They were so lazy and did not even bother to move out of the way. Someone said it would be nice to see the carcass. I know it was not possible because I have seen part of the carcass that afternoon under the croc down at the river. Then Martie stopped and said: “Well, there is your carcass. Hyenas must have dragged the carcass to the road.”

That completed a perfect night drive ..........!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SAYING GOODBYE TO THE LIONS

The following morning we drove to the place where we saw the lions the previous night. We were too late ….. There were already a few cars blocking the road. The lions were walking in the road, but were not very visible to us.

We saw a lion on our right side, looking or waiting for something.

Then we heard a lion calling. When we looked behind us we saw a lion running in the road.
He was calling and looking for his pride.

He passed so close to our car…… Then he crossed the road and went down to the river. He had found his pride.
And we were happy to see them again; to say goodbye to a special pride.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LAST SIGHTINGS AROUND LOWER SABIE PART 1

Views from the deck at LS:

When there is a leopard in a nearby tree!!!!

When the Springboks are playing.........

Caught near the shop in LS!!!!

The monsters........

Something nice to eat.

A familiar sighting on the bridge:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lower Sabie last sightings Part 2

We were fortunate that our caravan was parked under a tree at LS. One afternoon while sitting outside SO suddenly said to me: "Do not move suddenly. Turn slowly and look into the tree." And there was this beautiful bird I have never seen before. I tried to remember everything about this bird: not a small bird, very beautiful, colourful, an unusual beak, etc. There was no time to fetch a camera.

We watched this amazing bird for a few seconds/minutes before he flew away........
Eventually we realised it was a Grey-headed Bush Shrike (die Spookvoël).
What a beautiful bird. I know it is a very shy bird.
If I only could have taken a photo......
We only have the memory of this bird and it will have to last a life time!!!!

Other birds that were also special to watch.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lower Sabie: time to say goodbye. Part 3

Big herd of buffalo in the Sabie River on the day we departed.

A herd of zebra next to the Sabie River

A mother giraffe and her baby. So cute.

Typical sighting of ellies.

Gentle giant.

Always alert and ready to run, but so cute.

A warning: Do not litter!!!

It was time to say goodbye. 31 Days in Kruger and now we have to go home. A very sad thought. But we are leaving with so many great memories. I do not know when we will be able to visit Kruger again. I wish I could come every year ………

I want to thank everybody who accompanied me on this trip. It was a privilege to share our wonderful memories, although some were sad……
But how can I ever forget the 3 little cheetahs, the incredible 5 lions on the S100, the beautiful leopard near LS and obviously the 13 lions during the Night Drive ……
Thanks for your great responses. I appreciate every one. I wish I knew everyone in person!!!

Those of you that are going to Kruger or any of the other Sanparks in the near future have a wonderful time. I will be watching out for your Travel Reports that will take me back to the wonderful Parks.

Beautiful bushveld sunsets.

A last view of Sunset Dam and the flags at LS in a distance.

God Bless.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2