Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sable Hide and other places.
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Right folks time to start the Actual Trip Report.

I must however for warn you that it is not one of our better trips, sighting wise or weather wise but the company and Mites we met made up for any disappointments we may have had.

17th December 2013, 1.30am and off went the alarm clock. quick shower teeth brushed coffee made and in the flask, caravan hitched and off Ross and I went to fetch Garth (Grandad) around the corner.

As everything had been packed the previous evening all that was left was for Grandad to get into the car and we were on the road off to paradise at exactly 2.00am. Yes ladies only 30 minutes from waking and we were on our way.

The trip took us through Pongola, Piet Retief, Carolina, Machadodorp, (where my Grandmother was born) to Lydenburg past Pilgrims Rest and onto Phalaborwa.

I must however warn any one who plans to take the Lydenburg route that you take it at your own peril. That stretch of road approximately 70kms long is travelled at a maximum of 30kms per hour due to the warnings of extreme potholes and when they say extreme this does not actually described the volcano like craters in this road. In some places the road is devoid of any tar at all.

Once we reached Phalaborwa we did the necessary grocery shopping and bottle store run and I must admit that the caravan did feel a tad more heavier than it did before we felt Pinetown.

I then got hold of Crested Val and we met and had a few pints of the best at the Buffalo Pub and Grill with Dungie and Crested Chick and a while later Wendy A and Heksie joined us.

We then went back to the Spar hitched up the caravan and through the Phalaborwa Gate and into Paradise.
At the reception Wild Cards were renewed booked in with the most helpful staff being Collen, Sharon and Thubelihle (your help and service was really top notch).

We then proceeded to Sable Dam Hide with great expectations as it was a full moon night but alas it stayed overcast all night. This did not dampen our spirits though and a lovely supper was prepared and once eaten with the necessary beverages it was off to bed with the sounds of Ellies, Lions far off and the sounds of the African Wild Life.

End Day One.

I will be back.

Enjoy.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Before we start on Day 1 let me explain the 30 minutes rigmaroll.

I was one of those young men (some years ago) who had to do Military Service so this is how the morning wake up call goes.

1.30am Alarm sounds, into kitchen kettle on back to bathroom teeth brushed into shower whilst Ross gets the car out the garage, its now 1.37am. I now fill the Flasks and hitch up the caravan whilst Ross is in the shower. He locks up the house and joins me in the car, its now 1.50am. Out the gate around the corner to pick up Garth and its now 1.54am. Garth puts his bags into the caravan swops seats with Ross and we are off on our way. It is now 2.00am.

Remember that the caravan was packed the previous evening with only a flask of hot water needed for the trip. Even the tow hitch is levelled to fit the car. No wonder Im sometimes called Sargent Major :lol: :lol:

DAY 1 18 Dec 2013

After a very overcast night we wake up to this beautiful site of the dam but unfortunately none of the local inhabitants graced us with their presence except for a couple of bats in the hide who had Wendy sitting up in bed from who knows what hour. Heksie on the other hand had been doing the night shift waiting for leopards to come and finish off the evening meal leftovers. I`m sure she will explain in more detail in her TR.

001 by Russelg, on Flickr

After coffee (water boiled on Wendy`s little stove) we packed up the bedding folded back the beds and began to position the caravan for exit from the hide whilst the girls went on their way.
If any of you have been to Sable Hide you will know how small the area is in the lapa. It took us a good half hour to manoeuvre the caravan into position but I suppose if we had let the hand brake off at the start it might have taken us half that time.

003 by Russelg, on Flickr

It was back onto the H9 to Phalaborwa Gate to drop off the bedding but just before we got onto the tar these fellows were taking stock of the persons in the car just to make sure there were no scraps left at the Hide.

008 by Russelg, on Flickr

After dropping off the bedding we set of for Satara via Letaba and Olifants.

This main man showed us his behind and now we knew we were in Paradise for real.

013 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just before Letaba this Hog was showing off his highlights he had just had done.

254 by Russelg, on Flickr

There was plenty of general game on our drive down South but as we were still pulling the caravan we did not stop to take pictures. As we approached Satara we found our first baby Wildbeasts.

257 by Russelg, on Flickr

We set up camp under the watchful eyes of this Red Backed Shrike and once all was in place it was definitely swim time.

260 by Russelg, on Flickr

Later that afternoon we went down the S100 and got our first of 4 Ellie blocks. This fellow was rather chilled but would not let us pass so after about 20 minutes we turned back.

265 by Russelg, on Flickr

and found Harry and Harriet on a mission of there own in there wonderful green garden.

018 by Russelg, on Flickr

Day 1 done and dusted.

I will be back.

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome aboard and Tanx for the comments JeanniR, Philip1, Carolg, Trrp, Pumbaa, MM, PNF, Isinkwe, Tawny, Surf Cindy and Kaapsedraai much appreciated.
Yeah is always great to see other YR`s in the Park and also meeting them Kaapsedraai.

Day 2 19 Dec 2013 Morning Drive

Sargent Mossie sounds the wake up call at 4.00am and the troops do their ablutions collect the flask of hot water and are at the gate at 4.15am being 4th in line.

We enjoy our coffee and rusks whilst waiting for the gates to open with the first cigarette of the morning. Thank goodness EJ was not present as Im sure some comment would have been forthcoming regarding the smoke.

Gates open and out we troop with the first 3 cars doing a right turn and us going left on the H1-4 towards the S90.

Torches flashing on both sides we see the usual game around this area with a glimpse of a slender mongoose and a BBJ but to quick for pics and as Ross says the light was also not so good.

The sun is now up and we turn onto the S90 and find this lot either planning some new deliveries or just
enjoying a STORK PARTY.

030 by Russelg, on Flickr

322 by Russelg, on Flickr

We left this bunch to get on with what ever they were planning when this little fellow put in an appearance when suddenly granddad said lion.

272 by Russelg, on Flickr

274 by Russelg, on Flickr

He appeared from nowhere and disappeared into nowhere just as quickly. BUT a LION is a LION.

TBC

I will be back.

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tanx for the comments All and welcome to the new passengers.

Yeah see you soon Elsa, I will be at Skuks from the 1st March.

Day 2 Continued

We carried on down the S90 towards the S41 and just before the junction this beauty gave a chance at a photo shoot.

279 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just passed Gudzani Waterhole this Elfant showed us the proper technique in taking a MUD BATH

280 by Russelg, on Flickr

285 by Russelg, on Flickr

286 by Russelg, on Flickr

287 by Russelg, on Flickr

Later on I got this strange pic of some type of bird preening itself in the rain and have no idea what it maybe HELP please.

292 by Russelg, on Flickr

Carried on down the S41 to N`wanetsi for breakfast and got my first ever Brown Hooded Kingfisher who beat us to breakfast.

294 by Russelg, on Flickr

295 by Russelg, on Flickr

Breakfast was bacon, mushrooms, tomato, mutton chilli sausage, scrambled eggs, toast and fresh hot coffee. Once breakfast was done and dusted there was one sausage left over which we gave to the guard who promptly popped it into his mouth took a chew and almost spat it out just as quickly. With wide eyes and a big smile on his face he stated Eish yashiza inyama (hot Meat) please come again.

Once the car was repacked we set off again for the S41 via the S100 for Home.

TBC

I will be back

Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry I`ve been AWOL chaps but tanx for all the encouraging comments much appreciated.

Will be back with another instalment this evening.

Hang in there and ENJOY.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok sorry gang but just a little teaser of what`s to come.

420 by Russelg, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Right you lot lets get this report back on line.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now that we are back on the road with eyes down and looking someone looked up and saw this Juvenile who I think was still trying to sort out which wing to put forward first or flap them together at the same time.

305 by Russelg, on Flickr

311 by Russelg, on Flickr

Once again it was one of those I was here for ever but must leave right now as the kids need feeding.

313 by Russelg, on Flickr

We carried on along the S 41 and got this lovely Fish Eagle who seemed to be part of his perch.

317 by Russelg, on Flickr

Some more Ellies with a little un.

323 by Russelg, on Flickr

And at the low level bridge / weir at Dumbana we found these ?????????

TBC

I will be back

ENJOY

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I cannot believe it, I have just spent 1 hour doing an episode and just before I hit the submit button we have a power dip and allllllllll gone. :doh: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Right let me try again.

At Dumbana we find these two soldiers with a back up talking up a battle plan whilst the rest of the troops who were photographed for proof hung out, out of sight.

331 by Russelg, on Flickr

However with a lot of persuasion and cajoling they decided that peace was the better option and sealed it with a sign of the,,,,,

338 by Russelg, on Flickr

HEART In other words Make Love not War.

This Stately fellow agreed and

342 by Russelg, on Flickr

Suggested that we present them with a pair of

346 by Russelg, on Flickr

HORNS each.

TBC

I will be back.

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I know I did say 10 pics tonight but with power dips and good surf today I think its time for bed.

Nite nite All.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TANX for all the WONDERFUL comments me Mities, they are greatly appreciated.

I can also promise you that those were not the only pics of the Sherman Tanks.

I also wondered what had happened to Mr Majestic but what ever it was it didn`t seem to bother him that much.

I then got a message from Heksie and Wendy A advising that there was a site next to the fence and alongside theirs. It was decided that seeing we were still to be at Satara for another 4 nights it would be a good idea to relocate.
We just folded the tent over the caravan and moved to our new location. This was done in + half an hour with the temperature hovering in the mid 30`s. The swimming pool was visited which didn`t help much so after a cold shower it was back in the car and off down the H7 to Nsemani Dam.

Just before the dam we came across this couple who were having a bit of a domestic and I believe the conversation went something like this.

347 by Russelg, on Flickr

Hey YOU !!!!!!

348 by Russelg, on Flickr

WHO !!!!!! me

347 by Russelg, on Flickr

Yes YOU, who else can you see. Come over here I want to talk to you.

349 by Russelg, on Flickr

I`m on my way Dear.
350 by Russelg, on Flickr

Think I better put in some earplugs

351 by Russelg, on Flickr

I`m here dear but sorry the rest of the conversation I`m sure the mods will censor.

We turned around at the dam as it was rather quiet with even the Hippo`s giving a no show.

However this Big Boy put in appearance just before we turned onto the H1-4 towards home.

357 by Russelg, on Flickr

and the last sighting of any significance before we turned into camp was this lovely Tawny.

363 by Russelg, on Flickr.

We then made fires and cooked a delicious meal with Wendy A, Heksie, Ross, Grandad and myself with some rather cold beverages to wash it down. Later Petra and Dolf joined us and very pleasant and entertaining evening was had by All.

TBC

I will be back.

ENJOY

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well folks tanx for the great comments, It was a great day and an even better ending with those Mites in the evening.
A bit late to continue tonight but I will be back.
TBC
Enjoy

Yeah Anri hope daars geen Dis Myna Birds at Skuks.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit All back on the road again.

20/12/2013 Day 2

Out the gate at 4.30am turned left on the H1-4 on our way to Oliphants and were greeted by our first clearish

042 by Russelg, on Flickr

First sighting of the day was this marvellous Tawny sunning its self.

049 by Russelg, on Flickr

About 7 kms before the Oliphants River Bridge we had our first Leopard which was just a flash across the road and poof it was gone into the long grass. However a few kms later this Red Crested Korhaan was showing off to any female that was in the area.

373 by Russelg, on Flickr

It was onto the bridge to stretch the legs a cup of coffee and a piece of Christmas cake and Cheese. It was back into the car and onto the S89 towards the S90

A little further on we were stopped and advised by Heksie that there was a loving couple of Giraffe just around the corner.

385 by Russelg, on Flickr

391 by Russelg, on Flickr

392 by Russelg, on Flickr

We were watching this Dungie and his bride when a car pulled up next to us and said there were Cheetah 7 kms further up the S41 road, so off we went again.

403 by Russelg, on Flickr

And then Whooooppie. Grandad was almost beside himself as he had never seen Cheetah in the WILD before.

414 by Russelg, on Flickr

420 by Russelg, on Flickr

Big Brother got up and joined his sisters.

429 by Russelg, on Flickr

432 by Russelg, on Flickr

Mother also came and joined her kids

438 by Russelg, on Flickr

454 by Russelg, on Flickr

112 by Russelg, on Flickr

We stayed with them for about two hours with only a further 3 cars that only stayed a few minutes and then pushed off. It was rather pleasant as it was quiet with no people hanging out of cars and making a noise and the Cheetah were very chilled.

We eventually left them to go back to camp and got these two or should I say three Saddled Billed Storks at the N`wanetsi River Bridge.

474 by Russelg, on Flickr

Back in camp it was swim time again fire made supper cooked and discussions with Heksie and Wendy as to what we had seen that day.

TBC

I will be back

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Right Gang we are back on track and tanx for all your wonderful comments.

21 December 2013, don`t worry about which day it was coz I think I`ve lost a day somewhere. (as long as it was in the Park I don`t mind).

Today our drive was to go to Lugmag Dam via the H7, S36, S34 and home on the H1-3 / 4.

Just before Nsemani we found these Dagga Boys soaking up the early morning sun.
475 by Russelg, on Flickr

We carried on with plenty general game and as we turned onto the S 36 this rather wet lonely BBJ came to say good morning.

478 by Russelg, on Flickr

and proceeded to cross the road to get to the other side.

482 by Russelg, on Flickr

This handsome fella stayed long enough for a foto shoot before we carried on down the S36 towards Muzandzeni.

486 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just before the picnic turn off this mother zeblon was showing the kids how it was done

494 by Russelg, on Flickr

So one little un went one better and also scratched his neck.

500 by Russelg, on Flickr

AND back.

501 by Russelg, on Flickr

At the turn off into Muzandzeni this rather large parking attendant showed us the entrance.

503 by Russelg, on Flickr

We cooked another English Type breakfast with chilli mutton sausage again which was washed down with coffee made with Magic Milk.

I was returning to the car when something fell on my head and thought I could have been Chicken Licken but I looked up and saw these and no acorns.

506 by Russelg, on Flickr

I immediately thought of Wendy and Heksie and was thinking, could we pick some and make our own type of Amarula Mampoer.

We packed up and left the picnic sight without finding the Barbets that usually frequent this area past a rather if not very quiet Lugmag Dam and onto the Munywini Road where we were brought to sudden and absolute halt by this big Breeding Herd.

508 by Russelg, on Flickr

509 by Russelg, on Flickr

510 by Russelg, on Flickr

They were in no hurry to get off the road so I thought we should turn around and use the S 33 to get home.
Alas as I looked through the back window the road was also blocked and then Ross noticed more Ellies in the bush to the right and to the left. What to do but turn of the engine and just wait. After at least 45 minutes we were able to move forward and came across another car who told us to be aware of Ellies for another 200 metres to which I replied and another 200 metres behind us.
I must admit that it was a rather nervous 45 or so minutes but the Herd was rather relaxed and what an experience to be in the midst of these magnificent giants and just to sit, observe their behaviour and listen to those tummy rumblings as if they were inside the car with you.

TBC

I will be back. Sooner than later.

ENJOY

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next