[ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australia to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
hi impyim :D :D

You had a lovely drive along the Letaba River with lots of different animals to see :thumbs_up:
Great close-up of the giraffe tongue and always so exciting to see grey boulders 8) 8) 8)

But it is your zebra watercolour that takes the cake for me this installment :clap: :clap: :clap:
And lovely to see the original photo you painted - the likeness is so beautifully depicted in your painting :gflower:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We left Olifants and headed towards Satara - by this time it was about 10,30 in the morning. We decided we would drive the S100 (N'wanetsi river road) as we had been told you usually see lions on that road.
As we had only seen one lion since arriving on the 13th (10days before) we were really keen to see some more. We drove looking everywhere - hardly saw anything as it was quite a windy hot day and I guess most of the animals were resting. We were nearly to the end of the road when we came around a bend and found a traffic jam - maybe just maybe we might have found lions.
It was difficult to see anything for the cars and the long grass when we pulled in beside a private safari vehicle and asked the driver what they were looking at
he said "lion" - I said (looking at the directions all his passengers were peering " I don't see it" and he said " how about the one there " and there was a lioness walking throught the grass away from where his passengers were looking

Well we watched her for awhile and see disappeared in the long grass. The driver said that their party had been waiting for 4 hours to see the lions.

As we couldn't see anything else we wound our way through the parked cars and within about 200 metres came across another lioness she had her nose to the ground most of the time and was weaving in and out of the cars. She looked like she was on a mission and was completely oblivious to all of us.

We eventuallyr realized that the lioness we had seen 200 metres back had come to join the other one we were looking at

We presumed they were hunting and realized that one of them was a nursing mother.

We looked around and eventually we spotted - a tiny cub - he/she was about 50 metre on the other side of the road and watching hie mother very intently -

We watched for awihile and then he was joined by

Until we found out there were actually 5 cubs - some a bit bigger than the others,

All so absolutely adorable.
We presumed they belonged to both the lionesses. They played for a bit but basically they watched the mothers strolling around between the cars and in the grass. We sat for ages watching them (of course) and eventually the mother wandered away from where we could see them. The cubs must have know where they were as they eventually all hopped down from their lookout points and disappeared.
What a lovely 1/2 hour or so we had had. So pleased we came down the S100 and never mind that it was the middle of the day. Our day was made.

To be continued.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Impyim :great: A awesome TR, PICS and WATER-COLOUR "Paintings" from a Well Gifted LADY. :thanx:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:17 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Impyim,

Oh Wow!! awesome sighting of the Lions...as for the cubs too adorable. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing. :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image What a great lion sighting!

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A fantastic day's sightings. Those cubs are just too cute!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
What an awesome Image sighting, The S100 delivers once again :thumbs_up:

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 pm 

Hi impyim, that sighting would make everyone’s day. Great sighting!! :D :D :D

TR: "Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:52 pm 

The cubs are adorable! What a lucky sighting.
Still on board, enjoying the ride :lol:

Thank you!

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:16 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
So glad you found not only more Lions impyim, but a lot of cuties with their mothers! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 am 

Wow, a wonderful creche of lion cubs.

I notice their moms seem a bit on the lean side.
Could it be due to the demands of the creche, I keep wondering... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Now that is cute, really cute. :lol: :lol: :lol: Poor mum, she does look like her cubs have taken it out of her a bit. That is the kind of sighting that leaves a big smile for a long, long time. 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:26 pm 

What gorgeous lion cubs you came across :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Oh impyim, I'm soooooooo glad you had that awesome lion sighting :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And on the S100, plus cubs even!! :tongue:

Dad and I only saw lion cubs through our binoculars, so far away they were just little golden blobs.
I would do anything to have a lion cub sighting like yours :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And now, what did the rest of your day have in store? :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Now that I've got Philip1, Trrp-trrrrrrrr, Cape of Storms, Surf Cindy, isinkwe, t-bal, Rooikat, Hilda, Mandinga. Meandering Mouse, Pumbaa and Melph68
on board I thought I would hire a truck so you would join my SO and I for a sunset drive out of Satara. You'll need to wear warm clothes as its going to be cold

Note the time - 4.55 p.m.

By 5.04 p.m. we came across this herd of elephants. They were in a hurry, moving rapidly towards the river - they started about 500 m away from us and crossed the road. I've never seen elephants on such a mission - there was no stopping to feed they just walked non stop.

The little ones at the rear were being urged on by their older siblings and a matriach at the back.

The last one across the road (the matriach at the back) couldn't resist a bit of a trumpet at the truck
(just to make sure we knew who was boss)

We all sat in the truck absolutely awed by the size of the herd (72 elephants the driver told us), and by the organized and orderly manner that they moved from what we presumed their feeding area to the river for a drink.
We watched for a few more minutes but they disappeared very quickly. If we had been 10 minutes earlier or later we would have missed them.

We continued on our way and in a few minutes and at 5.15.p.m came across a honey badger. He/she was so busy digging that we went completely unnoticed.

After digging for ages the honey badger found what it was looking for and proceeded to devour it.

Unlike the elephants who were a long way away the honey badger was right next to the road so we had a wonderful view.

Our driver pulled up next to another safari vehicle and that had a chat about things - the driver then took us to a waterhole. Apparently there had been a leopard there earlier but we couldn't find it.

We did disrupt this hippo in the waterhole and he took one look at us and decided he wanted to be out of the water. He just erupted out of the water on to the dry land and disappeared in a flash.

We drove for quite awhile spotlighting. We saw a serval, african wildcat and bush babies, but unfortunately my camera skills weren't up to getting photo's. Eventually on this drive a fellow Australian showed me how to take photo's without the flash - just taking advantage of the light from the spotty's. A bit too late for the serval and wildcat though.

By this time we had been driving for just over and hour when we came across these hyena cubs - also very cute. I had never thought of hyena's as being cute but these seemed to fit the bill.

Goodness we had had a wonderful drive.

Everyone on the bus was really happy - although we were disappointed that we hadn't seen the leopard near the waterhole - when "hey presto" just around the corner the driver finds this beauty in a tree. There was another leopard at the base of the tree as well but very hard to see (being hidden in the grass). I tried for ages to take photo's but they were all terrible as my flash wasn't reaching as far as the leopards. That's when my Aussie friend showed me what to do with my camera.
I only managed this one photo (that's anywhere near decent ) of the leopard before the truck left them to themselves.

We continued along for a few kilometres until we came to a herd of buffalo feeding in a riverbed.
I didn't take any photo's unfortunately as we could only see bits of them over the long grass.

On the way back to Satara we came across a lioness lying in the middle of the road. When we got close she staggered to her feet, and limped into the bush. She seemed to be carrying rather a bad injury. No photo's again as she was in front of the vehicle and I couldn't get a decent shot of her.

We spotted another hippo on the side of the road out feeding

We saw the hyena cubs again on the way back, but didn't stop.

Gosh what a wonderful drive. We got back to camp - went and had a late meal at the restaurant and went to bed after a really great day. We had seen the big 5, but as yet we still hadn't seen any cheetah - other than something we saw with our binoculars which people in other cars told us were cheetahs!!!

Tomorrow we drive to Skukuza. Our Granddaughter Kelly and her friend Esther (both from Australia) are meeting us there.
They have just spent 2 weeks as volunteers working at a cheetah rehab. place near Bloomfontein. They normally both work as volunteers (about 20 hours a week on top of their regular jobs) at an animal rehab. place in the Perth foothills. They are both supervisors teaching others how to care for injured and orphaned animals. They also work on a captive breeding program for our endangered animals e.g bilby's (a nocturnal rabbit like kangaroo that lives in our deserts).
They are spending 10 days in Kruger driving themselves around, and are spending 3 days with us in Skukuza.
In fact tomorrow night we will be going on a bush braai with them There will also a couple from England, and another couple from Italy at the braai. We all met via this forum - we put out a request for others to join us on the braai (to make up the required numbers) and that's how we met.

That's all for this day's TR.

To be continued :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next