Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australia to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:45 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What a lovely experience to have a bush braai Impyim! :dance: :dance:

And the drive on your way to the bush braai was absolutely superb! Lovely Cheetah and Lion sightings, and the Scrub Hare with the babies must have been wonderful to see, as was the Genet! :dance: :dance:

Beautiful pictures of the tables with the candles in the background! It looks gorgeous and the food sounds delicious! :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:21 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Awesome bush braai impyim :clap: :clap: .

Also love all the night sightings :dance: :dance: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Oh WOW impyim, that table setting at the bush braai does look so lovely 8) 8) 8)

I think I would have been a bit nervous having only a waist-high fence between the dinner guests and those outside the fence eying off the dinner guests :wink:

But what a truly wonderful experience to share with your grand-daughter :D :D :D

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:57 am 

FAC Member (2013)
impyim,

Busbraai looks amazing :thumbs_up: ..What a great setting and experience to treasure. 8)

more please :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The following day we had a bit of a sleep in and then I drove the G'daughter and her friend to have a look at the golf club and spend some time at Lake Pania.

We went to Lake Panic first and on the way spotted a family of nyala - there was a male, female and calf in the bush where I couldn't get a decent photo, but this bull crossed the road in front of us.
This was the third time we had found nyala near Lake Panic. Once we saw two males crossing the road, another time a female near the water and then this family. The girls had never seen nyala before and I think they aren't a very common sighting.

When we got to the bird hide at Lake Panic the girls were enthralled. Unfortunately it was very crowded, but it didn't make any difference to the birds and animals. Eventually we all found seats and proceeded to spend a couple of hours really enjoying the sightings. To the left of the hide in the branches of a leafless tree there were heaps of sunbirds. We had a lovely time identifying them.

I had been to the bird hide 8 days earlier and it was interesting to see that one of the pairs of grey herons I had seen mating were now sitting on 2 blue eggs

flying off occasionally -

The other pair of grey herons that had been sitting on the nest now had young ones and their attemps to fly were accompanied by loud squawks and much squabbling

I could imagine one of these young herons falling from the nest and becoming a feed for the crocs that were nearby.

The goliath herons also had a nest - one of them would sit on it and the other would be in the water near the nest

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The fish eagle was sitting in the tree's on the right of the hide -

Do any of you know the name of the tree the eagle is in - it has beautiful maroon/red flowers - you can just see some buds in the photo.

Eventually the fish eagle took off and chased another one. They were flying a long way away in the sky but I took photo's and when I zoomed in I see one of them had a fish and the other was trying to get it.

While looking at the crocodile we saw these water thick knees - so camouflaged -

and this lovely African jacana

We went back to camp and picked up my SO and all went back to the golf club for lunch. It was getting fairly warm but still lovely to sit outside having our meal and watching the birds and animals.

The girls wandered around looking at everything. They thought it was great how they could walk about (not confined to the car). If you ever get a chance go to the golf club for breakfast or lunch - they have a really good menu and I find the food really tasty and well presented.

We also went and looked around the plant nursery - not with a view of buying plants but being able to identify some of the plants we had seen out driving. It was a Sunday and lots of locals were buying plants for their gardens. I must presume that they were locals as most overseas tourists wouldn't be able to take plants with them. We (Australians) aren't allowed to take any plants into Australia.

We finished the afternoon with another look at Lake Panic - and then went back to Skukuza and sat at the front of our chalet watching the world (and its animals & birds) go by.

Tomorrow the girls and I will be leaving early - we weren't sure where we would go, but in the end just as we left camp at 6 we told my SO that we would be driving to Tshokwane and back.
And that's a tale for the next episode.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:09 am 

FAC Member (2013)
impyim

What super sightings at Lake Panic..lovely :cam: :clap: :clap:

It is such a tranquil place to sit relax and enjoy all it has to offer ...a true little gem. :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 pm 

Lovely Lake Panic impressions :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Especially to awesome to see all the nesting herons :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What a handsome Nyala. :thumbs_up: They are nt common at all in that area. In fact, when I saw your picture, I wondered how you had managed to move north so quickly.

Lovely to see the Lake Panic birds through your eyes. I have yet to see a fish eagle at Lake Panic.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
some super sightings, I do agree with you about the Image at the Image, always have had a good Image there

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a lovely TR, and stunning photo's and some very special sightings. Your Water Colors are beautiful, although I missed some as they're not showing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tawny - I'm going to do a bit of this TR with just my watercolours. I accidently removed them from their spots on my TR so will redo them soon.

Meandering Mouse - sightings are funny things - you say you've never seen a fish eagle at Lake Panic and I've seen them the 4 times I've been there - I just love the look of them. But boy when they fly out of the trees near the lake all the grey herons go into a panic - fly off the nests and make the most appalling noise.

Also with regard to the nyala - because we saw them at least 3 times near Lake Panic (this trip) we think that as its so dry elsewhere in the Park in August then maybe they come to where there's a bit of green feed around the Lake. We also saw them in a couple of deep green gullies near Skukuza. :hmz: :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great episode!
Lake Panic is one of my favourite places in Kruger. It is a great place to just sit and take in the sounds and atmosphere of Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This morning we (Granddaughter and her friend and I) set off for a girly day in Kruger. We hadn't even got out the gate when we remembered something and had to go hack for it !!!!
While we were picking it up we told my hubby that we would be driving to Tshokwane and back.

A fair drive esp. with 2 young ladies whose eyesight, hearing and enthusiasm for wildlife is amazing. No creature great or small was going to be missed by them. "Stop, back back, drive forward, pull to the left, pull to the right" were my instructions for most of the day. I loved being with them.

I gave Kelly (G'daughter) my Canon camera to use as she reckoned it was better than hers'

It was really foggy when we left Skukuza

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As we drove along beside the river we could hear lions roaring. We drove up and down for about 1/2 an hour but between the fog and the trees we never found them.

Eventually we drove off and found these attempting to sun themselves high in the trees -

We also spotted these little birds on the ground - I think they're a quail but please help with ID.

It seemed to be the day for birds - the girls spotted this brown hooded kingfisher next to the road -

Only been on the road about an hour but the rest of this day's report will have to wait til another day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next