Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP - a solo photographic and birding tour
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Put some corrugated iron on your driveway too, prepare you for the roads.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Although I still need to find this for myself, I am sure that the scenery and excitement of the amazing KTP and the photo opportunties and birding and general quiet and stars at night will make up for any discomfort from corrugations.

I am anyhow going in a CRV which is really good at evening out such uneven ground. A spare cushion underneath me will also take away from the knocks (as others for the camera gear will do).

However, I am still a little concerned about the VZR stretch of road. The allure of the road Rober Frost would take seems to outway my concerns. Will, although still under consideration, be trying to make it to Kuruman on the first day, then I have lots of time to go road less travelled along the border to 2R.

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

51 days to go :dance:

I have started thinking about the crucial items to pack: 2nd spare tyre, can opener, squeegee, cloth for cleaning the inside of the windows, biltong knife, ziplock bags for putting my shoes in at night, cap (me thinks the morning walks will already require some protection), goon show CD, tyre pressure gauge... so many odd things! Will need to make a proper list (and share it)...
:think:

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok, so here is a random section (with no official chapter number). I have been obsessed lately with the bird list of KTP (and Augrabies where I will be going too).

What I have decided is that I MUST see the following (over and above all others that I will be glad to either spot or get reference shots of to upgrade my life list folder):
- Pygmy falcon: not much chance of seeing them at the wetlands I frequent on weekends plus they are so adorable
- Giant eagle-owl (I know it has a proper new name, but this is the name I first knew it by and will thus continue to call it, except in ID challenges I guess): just a glaring omission from my list
- Namaqua sandgrouse: not much chance of seeing them at the wetlands I frequent on weekends
- Burchell's sandgrouse: not much chance of seeing them at the wetlands I frequent on weekends either
- Barn owl: gorgeous birds and I have only seen on in a zoo; been fascinated by their faces since a wee lad
- Rufous-cheeked nightjar: have no nightjars on my list yet and would really like at least one
- Swallow-tailed bee-eater: finishes my SA BE list
- Eurasian golden oriole: have you seen it, the book shows it to be real stunner!
- Sociable weaver: they are interesting, and I like brown birds I can ID
- Great sparrow: being the biggest, it must be the best of the sparrows?
- Violet-eared waxbill: my #1 must see birdie - I have a thing for pretty birds, and this guy belongs on a ramp in Milan in the morning and NY in the evening with a Concord flying him between gigs
- Shaft-tailed whydah: as a kid I started fancying any bird with an interesting tail.

Ones that I have seen that I would like to see again include:
- Rufous-eared warbler (colour + tail + lbj I can ID - a real Kallis)
- Martial eagle.

I have seen 124 of the species on offer and in total there are 33 that I hope/want to get. Not sure about the white stork or lappet-faced vulture or black-chested snake-eagle or a new pipit/lark or rosy-faced lovebird (more hope in Augrabies I understand) or striped kingfisher (my fascination with birds started with the paradise flycatcher, lilac-breasted roller and malachite kingfisher, so now I like ALL kingfishers - and I don't have a striped), but hey, birding is part planning part luck part persistence.

I have the persistence (some call it less flattering names), will coax some luck, so if anyone can help with planning on getting some of these (I know Grootkolk has a barn owl and VEW and TR has a the eagle-owl) please share in the thread or by pm?

Have a sparkling evening

John

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Good luck with the Eurasian Golden Oriole..never seen that one in the park ( more than 25 visits). I have also never seen the Great Sparrow up there. You have a good chance of seeing Lappet-faced Vultures and Black-chested snake-Eagles though. I have seen a few Striped Kingfishers and Violet-eared Waxbills...good luck with your bird mission.
I have seen Nightjars at Urikaruus. I have seen all species of Owls at Nossob....
Shaft-tailed Whydahs at Nossob.
I have seen White Storks near Kij Kij but a very long time ago.
Birds have a habit of putting in an appearance if and when they please...:)
Off to the park on Sat..I will let you know of anything interesting birdwise on my return. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I will be far up north most of the time, so perhaps I can get some of the more challenging ones, like the sparrow. Thanks for the tip around the owls, also need the white-faced et al. anyway.

Thanks for the offer of notes, Caracal, will greatly appreciate and help with finding something new. Am hoping for at least 20 new birdies before I return (and 38 will get me to 400! but that is a stretch perhaps, time will tell).

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

14 days to go, so I am reading this with great anticipation!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have just completed the first draft of my packing list, and yes, it does include a 4 lb hammer and hacksaw - you always need a big hammer and the hacksaw doubles as my spare can opener. The official list will follow soon.

37 sleeps to go...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

4. PACKING PLANNING

As the lists are long, I will post in sections: basics, clothes, food, utensils, medikit, car extras, camera stuff (just a checklist, not description again) and sundries.

4.1. Basics – purple folder
• Wallet (garage card, drivers)
• Phone - to keep the family up to date while on the road; will need to contact SO to book overnight stay depending on how far I get before the sun sets in the Northern Cape (do not like driving in the dark there)
• Phone car charger (for the trip back)
• KTP bookings and payment confirmation (printed out)
• Augrabies bookings and payment confirmation (printed out)
• Wild card (printed out)
• Wild card invoice and proof of payment (printed out)
• ID (something I am extremely likely to forget, woe be me not getting into the parks as I forgot a simple document!)
• Spare car keys (you never know)
• En route accommodation list (I will nominate the town as I see the sun setting and SO will call until she has the first place available - list will be of all available/appropriate accommodation in order from cheapest to most expensive that she can just start at the top and phone downwards)
• GPS (you never know, I prefer using a hard map and memorising what town/road to ain for next)
• AA map (the one and only legend)
• Planned route with road numbers and towns (with reference to the aforementioned legend)
• Planned daily route itinerary for inside KTP (I will publish the actual list when I get back, but I like to have planned routes that I know what I can fit in how and what I will be giving up if I decide to swap a long drive with a sitting at waterhole day; the long and short driving days have ben set up such that I even out the load but still do all the routes and waterhole sits I would like. This is also useful for morning walk and night drive planning)
• Dark glasses (cannot live without my polarised prescription shades)
• Normal glasses (guess I need to see at night too).

So, there it is. This is the basic stuff that will either be in one of those neat A4 folders in the front of the car or in the middlemannetjie cubby hole.

35 days until I leave... and counting...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

4.2. Clothes – 1 bag
• 15 handkerchiefs
• 2 T-shirts
• 5 Golf shirts (collar - keep that naughty sun away)
• 7 Dress shirts (can roll up sleeves when not needed but can keep sun off arms while driving)
• 1 Jacket (hostel waterproof windbreaker)
• 5 Shorts
• 1 Jean
• 15 Socks
• 2 Shoes (Adidas trail; Asics old)
• 1 Cap
• 1 Swimming costume
• 1 Towel
• Toiletry bag

Thinking that it will not get that cold at night so can get away without lots of wamr clothing?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The GPS will be very handy set on Safety Warnings ie. for permanent speed traps positions.
The Northern Cape small little towns make a habit of trapping in their 60km/hr Urban Zones to balance their budget - greed cameras.
They put them out way after the center of town where you may be drawn into going faster by the nothingness with the town now behind you and the lack of speed boards - you are not always aware of how fast you may go and that is what they catch strangers for. They play unfair so use the technology to get a warning buzzer.
120km/hr zones you can use to test your sports cars top speed out.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Btw, this is already post 100 on this forum for me, liking this place!

Yesterday I combined my GO! Kalahari edition with the maps off SANParks website, 11 map copies, and drew out my route for each day. The full route per day is now known taking into account which days/camps I will use for morning walks and night drives, leveling out days of long driving and days of long sitting/waiting, which waterholes are best visited in morning/noon/afternoon, how good each waterhole is (based on amount and type of sightings, distance from camps, shade at parking, distance from the road et al.), where the picnic sites are and one vital fact: I plan to vist ALL waterholes accessible to non-4x4 vehicles as well as ALL picnic sites and catalogue them. The point hereof is for me, on future trips, to better remember where I want to drive/sit but also to share with others planning a trip to know what camps and what drives they would like knowing what to expect from the various waterholes. I would like to have a set of data not only on the overall view (captured in pictures) but also on the experience at each (not limited to what to see but also placement and overall feel of the waterhole).

28 days to go :whistle:

Here follows more notes on my packing.

4.3. Food – 1 large Coleman
• Noodles
• Tins
• Oats
• Nougat
• Mother’s care parcel
• Chips
• Water (in 25 l holder)
• Powerade concentrate
• Cedar concentrate
• Sweets
• Mixed nuts and dried fruit mix

4.4. Utensils – 1 box
• Ice tray
• Stanley flask
• Small water bottles
• Tongs
• Braai grid
• Charcoal
• Fork
• Spoon
• Bowl (green plastic)
• Black knife
• Plate (blue plastic)
• 6-pack coolbox
• Green @Home lunch boxes
• Drinking glass
• Tin opener

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
MxM, the best project manager could not do better. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hehe, thanks Meandering Mouse. I am always willing to change my plans later, on the day, but this way I at least then know what I am sacrificing/gaining by a different decision.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, got a haircut today, 2 below, 5 above. SO did it in the kitchen while the baby slept. Now I needn't worry too much about it while in KTP. Also, there will be enough to wet and have keep me cool for an hour at a time 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next