View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP - a solo photographic and birding tour
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Felix999 wrote:
John,

I am glad you are back safely. It seems you had a good trip. Now you know why Morkel & I trying to get to KTP twice a year. It is a magical place with incredible sightings and don't forget the light and the big skies.

Looking forward to your photos.
F
:popcorn:

Felix
Now where is yout TR with all your lovely pics :evil:
I have seen some of them so please :pray: :pray:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MxM, I am patiently waiting for your trip report :pray: . I am leaving for KTP in 6 days and need to hear your story and gather up your lessons.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I note that I have not gotten to the afters part of the report. I am getting there. Still 367 of the 8556 shots to work through. I have around 500 keepers, which was the aim, but I will admin that on my way back I thought that I had fallen way short, but I now have noticed some really nice sightings came my way. I will try and start with the detail in a week or 2, once the photo editing is done (I also need to upload these to the sites where they can start paying for the trip). I have copious notes from each day as well as some interesting realisations about KTP. The camps will come under discussion with how they are placed wrt roads nearby. Also, a commentary on where KTP should fall within planning for trips within the overall SANParks offerings (I have not been to all yet, still 7 to go). However, just to tie you into the loop, here are some more random shots from the middle days of the trip.

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:02 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MxM wrote:
I will try and start with the detail in a week or 2,

Still patiently waiting for this report to start MxM! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Fantastic shots, MxM :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great colours in the cheetah shot and for sure love your birdies as well :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
nice photos :thumbs_up:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:16 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Nice sightings till we will get into the bus for the main :dance: :dance: .

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
Great sightings and superb images. :thumbs_up:
Love the Cheetah on the dune :clap: :clap:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:58 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Love those curious cheetahs!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

a promising start with stunning pictures :popcorn:

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:cam: :D :thumbs_up:

2014:
Golden Gate july 25th-27th,
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,
Tsitsikamma Storms River Mouth august 9th-11th ,Ebb and Flow : 12th-15th
Bontebok:16-17th
Agulhas:18th

2015 : KTP booked

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
hilda wrote:
MxM wrote:
I will try and start with the detail in a week or 2,

Still patiently waiting for this report to start MxM! :D

Ditto :wink:

MXM, you really have posted some magnificent images.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

Apologies for the long wait. Between standing in for the boss for 4 weeks, handling 2 significant issues on the plant, wading through 8556 shots, editing the best and posting these shots on the sites that need to pay for the trip, I have taken too long to get here. But be not afraid, there is much to be shared.

Over 500 images to come.

Day by day commentary with specifics from my experienced shared.

Please, if there are any questions or more detail requested on anything I write, just ask.

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

11. THE TRIP BLOW BY BLOW

11.1. Day 1 – Afternoon rush and road to Vryburg

Distance covered: 851 km
Route travelled: Secunda-N17-N3-N12-Potchefstroom-Wolmaransstad-Vryburg-Kuruman-VZR
Daily fuel consumption: 7.7 l/100km
Maximum temperature: 32oC
Food: nougat as on N17; breakfast burger and coffee in Potch; Springbok shank + malva pudding at restaurant
Highlights spotted: red-breasted swallow; N black korhaan; open highway
Favourite moment: leaving to officially be on holiday; eye of Kuruman; dead horse in VZR
Birding lifers: No pics means no official lifers

As is typical, in the anticipation of a magical journey, I could not sleep. But this is okay, I was excited. Having tried going to bed early (this is at 2200 as opposed to midnight for me), I at least fell asleep somewhere around 2300. Full of pending joy – you know what I mean. All this effort, only to be woken before my alarm by my little baby, Penelope. Perhaps she just wanted to says au revoir before I put the cameras and laptop in and headed out the gate. I left at 0358 (as opposed to the planned 0445), out the gate, on my way, holiday in the road ahead of me.

I stopped in Potch for some body fuel. I had made good time as I was lucky enough to avoid any traffic and more importantly, made no navigational errors through an area of the city I know poorly. NOW, I was on holiday! I had a simple yummy breakfast type chicken burger and cappuccino as well as a decent 40 min break. I was way ahead of schedule as the roads were quiet and the weather good; also, I knew the long stretch was still to come.

It is of value to note that the drive through Klerksdorp is really pretty long and slow, all the way through the main road. There may have been a better route, but neither I nor my GPS knew it.

Next I reached Wolmaransstad. Rather a typical not-so-rich type town that reminded me of Karoo towns in the Eastern Cape. It seemed rather litter-filled but had some really nice buildings on show. As a collectable, I take shots of moederkerke (traditionally the main NG church in a town). If I cannot find one, I sometimes declare a cathedral or nearest church I could find the moederkerk. The reason for the obsession, in SA at any rate, there is a moederkerk in pretty much every town, and they are there at 0400, and on Saturday evenings – unlike fridge magnets and spoons or similar, a photo of a moederkerk is an easy way to prove you were in a certain town/city. Fridge magnets I reserve for the SANParks and specific camps thereof. Wolmaransstad had a particularly appealing moederkerk building, but I cannot say I felt awfully safe getting out with my camera to snap it, but oh well, I had to have it so I made sure for a clear getaway and open vision while aligning my shot.

Wolmaransstad - tick

All I had to do to get to Vryburg now was find the road to Schweizer Reneke (the spelling of which I constantly need to look up, so annoying). To do that I needed to either follow the sign, my trusty AA map or the signs. Signs usually work well for me in these little towns. However, as I had been fixated on making it to the steeple, I missed that I was on the right road to SR and went around the block to get back on the main road. All I did now was turn right and start leaving town, which made sense, all I now needed was a sin to say turn right to SR. All I saw was a giant military tank on a flatbed, an ostrich in a field next to the road and a policeman. So I pulled over, switched on the GPS (which I stupidly had switched off as I was keen to rely on my AA map and signs as I always had done on holidays) only to hear that friendly lady ask me to make a U-turn.

There you go

Reaching a town I had previously considered overnighting in, SR, was a dream as the name was unique, its placement remote (you pretty much had to be on this exact route to get there) and there was something attractive about the idea of this place. It was okay. I got another church building after filling with some rather low quality 93. The petrol attendant was not sure where the church was, but a passerby was yelled at by the attendant and she told me that it was just 2 blocks away, “Turn left at the train on the grass.” Fine, I should not really quote as it was obviously in Afrikaans as is dictated by the area of the country, but that is what was said. Note, please note, not all fuel in this area produced the same power; this SR fuel was pretty weak. Luckily, all fuel I got in KTP was decent, the Nossob batch being the best! I used the church pic opportunity as a double whammy opportunity and stretched my body a bit. Typically I cannot drive for more than 2 hours a stretch, but owing to the low traffic, being on holiday and the sublime comfort of my CRV (with arm rests; I will now ALWAYS want these special arm rests!).

SR - tick

No, it is not funny. Again I knew better and missed the turn. This time it was not so much my fault, although stupid not to be using the little lady’s voice, as the sign as gone.

Oh, I almost forgot, the train. It literally is a forlorn locomotive on a plain. There is also a banged up and I think partially burnt 1980’s (or so) car wreck with interesting graffiti on it in the same main drag. I really want to picture these some time, but the light was harsh, the crowds present and I really wanted to get a move on, so next time. It is good to leave something for next time.

The other side of SR had some, let’s call them challenges. The road was, well, partially there. After some really bad potholes (remember, I am from the coal area of Mpumalanga, we know potholes) the road works started. Thankfully, there was a new strip of sandy road to take while they built the new tar surface – time to test my off road courage I thought. Luckily the road had recently been graded and further dust settling and grading was ongoing while I drove it. Not too long and it was over.

While on the sand road, there was little traffic. So, as it is holiday, and I wanted to bask in the spirit thereof, I stopped for some random shots along the way. Just because. I also spotted a very rufous fronted swallow on a fence – knowing it is one of 2 possible species, after consulting my trusty Sasol guide I found it was the red-breasted swallow. But I was doing 80 at the time and was not going to make an emergency stop for a possible swallow shot, especially as reversing chows fuel in the CRV, and I wanted to make some records on this trip. For good fuel consumption, obviously. I later spotted a northern black korhaan, same story, same issue.

Road surface

Random view shots

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:49 am 

:clap: Perfect trip report -the excitement is building as you find your way to KTP -keep the stories and photos rolling please :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next