SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP - a solo photographic and birding tour
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MxM,

I just found your thread and enjoyed the thought that went into the bodies and lens combinations.

I too have three bodies. I had a 40D and two 7D's, but recently upgraded the 40D to the 1Dx. I also have a 24-105mm f4L and a 300mm 2.8L IS (version 1). I just traded my 10-22mm, 100-400mm, 70-200 2.8L IS version 1, and 1.4x and 2x version 2's for the 70-200 version 2 and the version 3 for the teleconverters. I also added the 16-35mm 2.8L to my kit. I was thinking about putting the 300mm with either the 1.4 or the 2x converter on the 1Dx and then keeping the 24-105 and the 70-200 attached to the 7D bodies. I am very much an amateur with great equipment. Somebody said it well that you still need to know how to use the equipment to get good pictures. I am self taught, but I think my skills are improving.

I look forward to reading your TR and seeing your pictures when you return.

Caracal I saw your post about the 7kg weight limit for hand baggage. I have run into that problem several times. I carry my equipment in a Lowepro ProRoller 250. Upon check in I tell the agent that it is camera equipment and have been fortunate that they have not balked at all, especially for international travel.

Daron

Kruger May 6-15, 2014
Satara May 6-10
Skukuza May 10-12
Crocodile Bridge May 12-15

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Only 5 more hours at work tomorrow, then I am free. 1 week to relax and then this time next week I will have packed all I plan to take in the dining room ready for the off at 0420.

Have printed my bird lists, packed my daily itineraries, printed the confirmation letters for both Augrabies and KTP. Got my spare 1D4 battery in the post today (found a new retailer online that has proven to be helpful and reliable, and cheap - pm me if you wish to know who), charged it, will test it the weekend.

Oh, as I will now not be working the morning before I leave, I will be able to make my preferred stopover. As they are having a staff function that night, I was requested, and have, ordered my supper already. Springbok shanks preceded by a garlic cheese roll and followed by malva pudding with custard and ice-cream. As the hotel's prices were so good, I have ordered a pair of venison pies, a chicken pie, a piece of quiche and a vetkoek en mince for take-aways. I will simply pop them in separate containers to have the first night in TR as supper, the pies being the second day's fare. What a treat!

Its almost time :dance: :roll: :dance:

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:32 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Time flies MxM! You're almost on your way! Looking forward to this trip! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

All done. No more work. Just relaxation time with the family before I go. Well, have a studio shoot to do tonight and then one outdoor and one studio tomorrow, but as this is a paying hobby more than my salaried job, it's all fun.

Bought my new braai grid today and some fresh blitz + charcoal.

0400 22 Nov :big_eyes: :whistle: :big_eyes:

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Whoah you do some proper planning John!
I just chuck the kids, cameras and wife in the car, get some food and drive off into the sunset. ;)

And I usually splurge on eating lots of braai meat on holiday - we braai every night haha :D
Last time we took tinned food to KTP, my buddy Francois du Plessis got VERY sick

See you there, we're in from 2-8 December coming down from Etosha.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:53 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Time really flies :shock: . Nearly on your way to another part of "heaven" in SA :thumbs_up: .

Will be here for the feedback :whistle: .

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Morkel and MxM,

Must I book a meeting for 2 Dec. Just can't find the conference room on Outlook, CR-TR-Auchterlonie :lol: :lol: :lol: We will be at Rooiputs from 1 -3 Dec.

Wonder if Francois will eat any tin food from Morkel again. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Enjoy the waiting, it is part of the holiday, have a safe trip!

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Watching the webcams today, I have learnt 2 things:
- it is really nice that the sun sets so much later than at home
- there are leopards drinking at Nossob camp
- ok, there are 3 things, there are millions of secretary birds drinking at Nossob (still really want a good shot of one for my list)

So close...

Can smell the dust already...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Today I bought new lip ice (with SPF 15, yummy cherry flavour), spray-on SPF30 for my arms/hands while driving, small bottle of bacteria-killer (guess that if I really needed a big one I would be on my way to a hospital where they would have a bigger bottle anyhow), some easy-breathing T-shirts (have some but really needed to get new ones as some in my closet are from 15 years ago and others just no longer to my taste/fit - planning on taking the decent older ones with me as part of the clothing drive), got in a good gym and sauna, checked prices on my preferred biscuits before buying tomorrow and read more about the waterholes (in the magazine that has come to be my text book).

I am really looking forward to documenting certain obvious but difficult to find information. Like taking a general arrangement/view shot of each waterhole (my planning allows me to visit all of them at least once) as well as providing and indicator as to what minimum focal length is required for a gemsbok and a sandgrouse - if at all possible. Me thinks this will help future travellers on lens selection and road/waterhole choices.

Tomorrow I plan on buying my super exciting portions of oats and pronutro and cans and noodles. At least there will be biscuits and high sugar sweets as well for during the day as well as trail mix (both packet and SO made). Oh, and as soon as I am on the other side of the big scary city, I am opening my first nougat bar!

Tic toc :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

MxM wrote:
Watching the webcams today, I have learnt 2 things:
- it is really nice that the sun sets so much later than at home

You'll be glad for it, because the heat is unbearable until about 30 minutes before sunset LOL :lol:

I'm also counting the days until Friday - which is when we leave too.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So far I have packed my clothes (not sure I will need that one pair of trousers and one jacket, but my mother taught me to always pack such as you never know), food (kept 1 nougat out for the road), and some general items. Will do the rest tomorrow. Now just hoping to watch some cricket and relax...

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Safe travels, MXM!! I hope you enjoy yourself and all your expectations are met. I am looking forward to hearing about your trip to KTP. Yes, your trip is about to begin, really!

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, I am back. Only 8556 images taken, so please be patient while I wade through them before completing a detailed write-up. However, here and there I will post some snippets.

One thing I need to say, I get it, I understand why people drive the 4000 km for 12 days in the park, I get it. The photography of predators is on a different level to any other place I have been. Many of the birds are either unique t the KTP area or easier to spot that other locations. But, and I will elaborate on this later, there are some significant differences between KTP and KNP that I found will make my preferred one a complex decision. But I get the hype, I saw the hype, I felt the hype, I want to one day share the hype with the family - next time...

Major highlights to come, 7 cheetah sightings including an odd incident and a kill, a double leopard sighting, a bat-eared fox, 3 honey badgers crossing the road, more lions that I cared to count, the ultimate (albeit a touch clichéd, having felt it I agree it is the ultimate) KTP sighting as well as experience, 2 brown hyenas, a puffadder just outside my door and a double rainbow.

To whet the appetites and share some spectacular build-up to my arrival at the TR gate, here are a few images from the area around VZR.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:41 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Glad you got, felt, saw, heard, smelt and tasted the hype!! :thumbs_up:

Love the appetizers!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ready for more once you've gone through all 8556 images!!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next