Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Max's Cheetah sighting. KNP, March '06
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:39 am 

Hi all.

We spotted a group of 3 cheetahs yesterday morning (17 - March 06) at around 6:40am, on the road just north of Lower Sabie camp (H10)

They were sitting on the road, and walked straight past our vehicle, which was needles to say, just breathtaking, but my question is, should I submit the photos to the Wild dog & Cheetah census? Or has this census already been completed?

If you guys could please advise, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

In any case, I will submit the photos to the Public Sightings page once I have reduced the size.

Max

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Max. Lucky you to have been in the Park yesterday. :mrgreen: Have you seen this topic yet? Even if the competition is over, you might still find the info interesting.

And we would love to see your pics too! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Please dont hesitate to send them in -
Either send them now,
or wait till the next competition and send them in then - the census is likely to occur every 2 years, as in the wild dog one, and that info will be able to fill gaps in the intervening year. Cheetahs are long-lived animals, and this interim year will still be important for a point in time 2 years from now.

Send them at some stage,

w

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:56 pm 

Hi guys, thanks for all the info, and sorry that it took me a while to return to this topic.

After looking at some of the images from the Public Sightings, I'm pretty sure that this particular group of cheetahs is quite regularly spotted, but in any case, I will submit the photos as suggested, as well as post them below for anyone who is interested.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And then finally, here's two pictures of an Elephant. We were silently observing it from the side of the road, when it suddenly took an overly keen interest in our vehicle. I was too busy snapping away to realise how close it was, and ended up having to reverse about a kilometer down the road, while it sauntered after us. Is this a usual occurence? I can assure you that we did nothing to provoke it, or even to let it know that we were watching it. What would the likely scenario be in a case like this? Would the elephant become aggresive with the vehicle and it's passengers?

Image Image

Ok, well that's it for now. If anybody would like the original pictures in their full size, for non-commercial use only, please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to provide them.

Hope you all enjoyed, and thanks again for all the help.

Ta, Max

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:54 am 

Thanks for all the great comments guys and gals, and I'm glad you all enjoyed the images :D

Nice pics Bushbro...at least your Cheetahs had the common decency to pose for you :lol:

Just out of interests sake, those pictures of mine were taken on a Sony DSC-T7 digital cam. Due to it's slim design, it's not the greatest camera for getting quality pics because it's hard to keep steady. So I was wondering what another good, mid-range digital cam option would be? Preferable something that has the option to attach additional lenses, albeit, nothing professional, and hopefully, dare I say it... *cheap* :D

Thanks again guys
Ciao, Max

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:52 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Saw 2x Cheetah on the H1-7, about 1 km after turning South from the H13-1 (Punda Maria Road) to go to Shingwedzi.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]