Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Roaneric's annual KNP visit
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Heksie wrote:
one of my fave kiekies is the bob showing his face above the red leaves! Great shots

I zoomed in a bit for you to see his eyes better.

(sorry not the best quality zoomed in and resized, but you get the idea :wink: )

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I just found this video of the elephant we saw at Punda maria's waterhole / birdhide.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Day 7

Roan, Eric and I got up 30 minutes before the gate opened. We got dressed and sat in front of the gate, waiting for it to open. We were second in line and headed towards the spot where we saw the hyena the previous day.

We found them playing next to the den. They were so funny but also VERY naughty. They chewed on the tires and 'almost' chewed on my YR again :naughty:

It was still dark when we arrived, but we spend about 30 minutes with them. They entertained the kids and Roan took a video clip of them being naughty. I will share it with you later on.

While watching the cubs, the sun came out and we saw this beutiful sunrise.

We drove to the Letaba bridge, and I hoped I could still get a sunrise picture on the river. I was there just in time, actually a bit too late, but at least I got this one. Funny how the color changes in a few minutes from the first picture I took

We didn't see many animals, just this lovely fish eagle, so we decided to go back to camp.

Eric wanted to visit the elephant hall for the 100+ time... :lol: They got a cheetah that they didn't have the last time, and Eric was fascinated by it.

Last edited by roaneric on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
This is Roan's video clip of the hyenas.

They were VERY interested in Roan and Eric. But they were also easily spooked. Every movement and sound we made.... made them jump. And they were VERY naughty and enjoyed the car's tires as well :doh: :naughty:

( Funny part.... when the first cub went to sit down, Eric closed his window, look how the cubs head also goes up :lol: :lol: )

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Philip and I took an afternoon stroll around camp and saw some lovely birds. This bird (red-winged starling) was near the garage, enjoying the flowers and then we saw the most beautiful giant eagle owl right next to the pathway.

We heard lots of noise coming from the river, and luckily I had my zoom lens with me, so I could see what it was. It was 2 hippo's fighting. They were so far down the river, it's amazing how far the sounds traveled.

This was also a sight lots of people see when they are in Letaba camp. View of the elephant from inside the camp...

And the view of Letaba from the Mopani (H1-6) road.

We saw this little bat house just behind our bungalow and heard them making noises late afternoon. Roan got the idea to set his camera on the tripod and try to film them when they come out. He filmed for almost 30 minutes, when they finally came out. Amazing how many bats are sleeping in one little house.

(sorry it's a bit dark, but at least you get the idea)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Day 8

This was our last full day in kruger. Our final night was booked at Olifants so we had a long day to fill before we can check in there.

First Roan and I went for a drive at 6 and went to the hyena den. As usual the cubs were entertaining the first tourists. We hoped to see some lions and saw on the sightings lists they were seen on the Phalaborwa road a few times the last few days, so we just spend a few minutes with the hyenas and headed in that direction.

This poor one had his nose / lip torn. :cry:

We drove for about an hour but didn't see a thing. Not even impala's. So we headed back to camp and started packing up. We were sad to leave our favorite camp and Eric went to the elephant hall for the last time. We decided to pack a picnic bag, and head towards Timbavati.

Our trip there a few years ago ended up pretty spectacular, with a lion chasing a bushbuck across the picnic area, so the chance to see lions in that area was better than in the north.

We arrived all alone and it was good to be at Timbavati again. Eric loved the bushbucks and said this was his favorite picnic spot in kruger.

The birds watched our every move and hoped that Philip will drop some of the food. They were like vultures. :doh: We had a lovely brunch.

On our way to Olifants we saw this big fellow. Beautiful isn't he?

We also saw this poor snake in the road. I wonder what kind it was. It was not dead yet and I felt so sorry for him. :cry: He was about 20cm long.

Last edited by roaneric on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We were still to early to check into Olifants, so we decided to check out Balule and ask the guard if we can take a look and take some accommodation photo's. He was VERY friendly and even showed me how the inside of the huts look like for some pictures. Thumbs up for him :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We arrived at Olifants and got bungalow number 47. Close to the restaurant and although it didn't have a view of the river, we loved it. I saw a grey-headed bushstrike? It was so close and so beautiful. This was the first time I got it on camera :dance:

We enjoyed a quiet afternoon in camp and I sat at the viewing deck with a good book for almost an hour. It was fantastic. We had our last Braai and enjoyed the night sounds one last time. This trip flu by so quickly, I felt sad to go. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Day 9

We slept in this morning, trying to stay in camp as long as possible before we headed to Phalaborwa gate. We left 9:55 and dropped our keys in the keybox :cry:

This is the view we saw when we drove out of Olifants. It was rainy and misty and the hot temperature of the previous day was gone.

We were a bit sad that we didn't see lions on this trip. This is the first time in 16 years that we saw NO lions. But we enjoyed the quietness of the bush and the leopard was a bonus. We heard that we werent the only ones seeing little game. I spoke to a few people who said they also didn't see much, even the elephant sighings were not so much as usual.

I put together a video clip of the animals we saw on the road with our dashcam, so you can see for yourself how little animals crossed our road this year.

So as we were leaving Kruger we all said it was a good trip, even if we didn't see much predators. We were happy to be in Kruger and loved the smell and the sounds and the smaller things we saw. Just as we said that and a few km before we reached the Phalaborwa gate we saw a little traffic jam......

It was a beautiful cheetah. We felt like he came to say goodbye and that was the best present to end our annual knp trip. We just saw him for about 20 seconds, and then he vanished. He was perfectly camouflaged and if it wasn't for the pictures I would might have thought I was dreaming. So we left Kruger a few minutes later with a adrenalin rush and 4 big Smiles in the car. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks for all your friendly replies.

I will be going to the cricket@Skukuza in March, and will try my best to make lost more dashcam video's. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2