Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dupacc's Darrrlin' lets go to Kruugha!!! July '13
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:think:

“Darrrlin, Id been a thinkinn” the particular sound of his voice when he said it, made her sit up. It was the sound she only heard when the leaves are falling and the South African Autumn and Winter awakens the urge to get to the bush.

“Yes dear?” Her eyes were sparkling and her face blushed in anticipation. The angry red of the sunburn when they went looking for them tigers near Skookazoo now long gone.

He cupped his calloused hands around the mug of rooibos tea and took a sip. There were tiny golden droplets of tea in his moustache. He replied:

“Therrr is this place nearrrr Witrivier wherrrre we can stay and maybe go to Krrrruugha”
As always he was heavy rolling the “R” in the words. She stood up and came closer to him. Running her hands through his short, spiky red hair she replied: “Let’s go then”. For him she was more beautiful than ever right then.

Yes you’ve guessed it: our Stereotypical Kruger Tourist was at it again: they were off to Kruger –this time staying in a Lodge outside KNP with the intention to do day-visits into our beloved Park. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The sight from the balcony of the Lodge where we stayed was awesome – perfectly complimented by the call of the resident African Fish Eagle.

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
TR: Dupacc and Darrlin saw birdies and kitties

Post subject: Re: Darrrlin' lets go to Kruugha!!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

(apologies for the delay - internet problems - :cry: :cry: )

Welcome on board JenB, Meandering Mouse, Hilda, NetEk, Philip1, Lion Queen, Trrp-Trrrrrrrr, Gatita, Heksie, and Nkulu. I am sure others will join us later!

Allow me to introduce the members of my family, who joins us on this trip. Firstly my SO:

And our eldest son

Our youngest did not join us due to him playing sport and their team were training very hard..

We were really blessed during our visits to KNP and though we saw a lot of animals, these were not so common:

And the unmentionables, well, I hope we will be able to see them for many more years to come

to be continued...

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

“DarrrrIin, look therrrrre! Can it be???”

”yes dear?”

No darrrrlin, morrr to the left!! It is some’tin not so common me think!!

”yes dear!”

I quickly want to share pictures of two more "not so common" sightings. I cannot remember how many years we went to Kruger without seeing a leopard. But recently all this changed and with this one we could literally drive up right next to the tree that stood next to the road!

Also not so common for us, are Sable Antelope. Over the span of 30 years, we only saw Sable twice!

When we entered KNP on the second day of our recent visit, we drove many kilometers without seeing anything. :shock: :shock: . Then after about 45 minutes, we saw two impala rams fighting. I still remember the first time I heard an impala snorting: I thought it was a pig of some sorts :redface: :redface:
They were oblivious of anything going on around them - totally focused on one another. I have seen on occasion how predators would use this opportunity! However, the grass was so tall we could not see any stalking predator.

You had to be really tall to see anything!

A little later we saw this beautiful fish eagle, and later the week I had the opportunity to ... (Darrrlin, do not get ahead of yourself)

These vultures must have slept in, because it was already 8:30 in the morning and they were still sitting on their nest, flapping their wings. They should have been soaring high and free by now!!

A little later we saw this unmentionalble who was determined NOT to show us his horn, no matter which angle we tried and how we maneuvered our Isuzu

To be continued….

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

“Darrrrlin, do you see, what I’m seeing??”

“yes dear”

“Darrrrlin, it is a ........ roadblock!!”

“yes dear”

after a couple of mintues

“Darrrrlin, it is a ........ WOLF!!”

“yes dear”

“Darrrlin, I’m so sorrrrry, I’d beeen a lying. It is actually a hyena”

And darrrrlin, smiling and gently stroking his hair, replied:

“yes dear”

We drove along the S1 for quite a while without seeing anything, when we encountered the roadblock. At first we could not see what the others were so excited about, but then we saw it: it was a hyena den with the pups coming out to greet their mom.

She was very calm and relaxed, and after regurgitating some food for her young, she moved closer to the vehicle. Throughout the remainder of the week we would see her and her cubs whenever we passed their den. What a privilege!

As often happens when we drive in Kruger, I started to think about my good friend flipp, now living in Australia. Ek mis jou Flip! . His youngest daughter, then aged two, on her first visit to Kruger made him stop every time they saw impala – which was uhm, very often. BUT: why not? It is not as if we see impi’s in the strrreets of Jo’burg everrryday, is it darrrrrlin?

A little further down the road this little one entertained us with his sure-footedness and agility on the rocks

Funny how some animals remind you off other forumites: this “rockjumpertjie” reminded me of Heksie and Cheetah2111

I never knew that the Burchell’s Coucal has this mean looking red eye?

And what would a KNP TR be without a Lilac-breasted Roller? It must be one of the most photographed bird-species in Kruger, other than the birdies at Lake Panic

I mentioned Flipp’s daughter, but our son had us driving up and down along the Sabie-river when he was a toddler because he wanted to hear the sound of a hippo. Even today there is something enchanting and fascinating in the grunt of a hippo for us!

And while I am at it with this “thinking off” and “reminds me off”, I must be honest in saying that this bloke reminded me of a certain traffic Police Officer with a speed-camera that always sits in the same spot on my way to the office :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

When he said this, She said with a stern look on her face: Dear !!!
To which he replied Yes Darrrrrlin ??

to be continued ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They were standing on the patio, looking at the stars and holding hands. In the background, the gentle sounds of Mozart’s Symphony No 40 softly playing on their portable device caressed the chilly winter night. Down by the lake-side, the Egyptian Geese were quiet now after their usual early-evening rows. In the distance they could hear a man’s boisterous laughter.

“Darrrlin ...”

“Yes dear?”

“Do ya rrrrememberrr when we went a lookin for them tigers near Skoo-ka-zoo last year?”

“Yes dear” She was smiling at him still referring to Skoo-ka-zoo – when will he learn to say Skukuza?

"Well Darrrlin I think we should be a drrrivin that way tomorrrrrow and go all the way to Mlondozi. Won’t that be nice? "

"Yes dear "

"And Darrrrlin, will you pack us some snacks then? "

"Yes dear"

with that she went inside to the kitchen. He followed a little later and started a snug and cosy fire in the fireplace in the corner

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It was still dark when we left our cabin, making our way to Phabeni. Though we were car no7 in the queue, we did not have to wait long after the gates opened before we could enter. The three hours to Skukuza was a nice, relaxing drive. Once on the S30, we noticed how the veld changed – and it was not very long before we saw this Kori Bustard

Though the veld was much dryer than the areas we drove the previous day, the game were in excellent condition

We also saw this zebra with a short, bushy tail. We think he was lucky to lose only a part of his tail in a lion-attack

The monkeys are still a problem at Molondozi. They become very aggressive in their attempts to steal food from the tables. And unfortunately there are still people feeding them. An elderly woman threw pieces of bread at them, saying that that will keep the monkeys busy and keep them from coming closer.

Despite some visitors breaking the rules, the peace and tranquillity of Molondozi makes it a “must visit” for us.

These hippos were quite far away from the water

Then a small commotion broke out amongst the people at Molondozi.
“Darrrrlin, is it a lion ????”

"Yes dear !!! "

Even with the 400 lens at maximum zoom, we had to look hard to find her. It was a mother with four cubs

Now let’s zoom in

" Darrrlinn, Have any forumite seen all of the Big Five from Molondozi? "

to be continued...

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

“Darrrrlin, shall we get a move on?? “

“Yes dear”

“Darrrlin I think Lake Panic will be a nice stop, don’t ya think???”

“Yes dear”

So they packed up their picnic basket, threw the leftovers in the trash-can and made their way to Lake Panic

It took some time for people to get over the excitement of seeing the lions, and the monkeys continued to have a royal time at Molondozi…

We decided to slowly make our way back to Phabeni and stop en route at Lake Panic. We had a couple of note-worthy sightings on our way.

We just love hippo’s

When I posted some of my photo’s on Facebook, my cousin got very excited over this picture. He is a Game Ranger and artist and he says it is extremely rare for a giraffe to go into water. Apparently they will only wade into very shallow water. He says that where he stays, a small stream keeps the giraffes from roaming in a greater area and they had to make special efforts to relocate some of them across the stream. Without knowing this previously, we still spent a good 15 minutes looking at this elderly gentleman who just could not get down to drink….

And still the veld was beautiful… It feels as if we just can not get enough of it!

Now this elephant was a real clown! He would break a twig and then use it as if he was flossing his teeth, moving it in and out of his mouth with his trunk. When he saw us watching him, his facila expression changed to one of embarrassment (?? :roll: :whistle: :o :o :o) and he quickly made his way into the thick undergrowth where he just disappeared.

“Darrrrlin, can elephants blush?”

“Yes dear ….. “ :whistle: :whistle:

At first we thought this lizard was a snake !!! :o :o :o

And once again we were treated with a scene of peace and tranquillity

When we saw this zebra, my SO reminded us of the fact that each one of them is as unique as our own fingerprints. We could not do anything else but to sit in awe of such magnificence in creation.

I think this African Darter at Lake Panic is one of the most photographed birds all of KNP. If it is the same one, we’ve watched him sit with wide-spread wings on many a visit to the hide. We have also seen it swimming with only his head and a part of his neck sticking out above the water.

It was only when we enjoyed our photos back home when we saw the funny in the next photo of the Black Crake:

NO, look again: it is a dragonfly and a leaf in the water :roll: :whistle: :o :o :o

…. To be continued….

Last edited by Dupacc on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Relaxing at Lake Panic

“Darrrlin, you kinda enjoy commin to Lake Panic, don’t ya ?”

“Yes dear”

“It is always so quiet and the people behave so well herrrre,don’t they Darrrrrlin

“Yes dear”

“Just a pity it that it get so crowded nowadays... not enough space forrr everrrryone to get a nice seat I say, don’t you think Darrrrlin?”

“Yes dear”

“Darrrlin, do ya remember the grey heron chicks ?? We saw dem when we came looking for them tigerrrrs last yearrrr. I was a wonderrrrin how big they will be now??

“ Yes dear”

“ Darrrrlin I wonderrrr how long they will stay in the area? Will the parrrrrents event’ly drive them away, don’t you think??”

“Yes dear”

And with that they found a space to park in the overcrowded parking-area at Lake Panic. He took the extra lens and bean-bag and she made sure she had her binoculars. The gate squeaked as they entered and proceeded along the corridor towards one of their favourite hides

We always try to fit in a visit to Lake Panic when we are near Skukuza. There is something special and mesmerising about being there, and it begs you to come back again and again. Though many amazing sightings are reported (see for example the thread on Lake Panic Sightings), we tend to focus on the bird life. Mammals we saw there include bushbuck, impala, monkeys, baboon, nyala, buffalo and of course the hippos in the water. We almost always see crocodiles there, and even saw a crocodile catching it’s prey on a number of occasions.

The first catch we saw during this visit was this Pied Kingfisher. Amazing with how much force he would bang his prey against the branch without letting it slip out of its beak and then just swallow it in one big gulp

The crocodile glided effortlessly through the water and was well, …. beautiful?

The grey heron chicks were almost fully grown now, and I wonder how long they will still be there? And if the move, how far will they move? We saw how violently and vicious they could fight each other in the nest when they were younger and I think it might take some serious convincing by their parents to get them to move on...

I love the African Jacana. I think it is a beautiful bird

Another favourite of mine is the Black Crake. We always find them here at Lake Panic, but I also look for them whenever we would cross little streams on the minor dirt roads.

And the Goliath Heron, was a giant!

A number of the people in the hide got very upset about what happened next: 8 or 9 baboons came charging up into the branches, making a load noise as they did so. Their ferocious shaking of the branches and loud barks caused all the birds to flee. All the birds that could fly that is. Those to small that could not fly, fell to ground or into the water, where they were grabbed by the baboons who waited below the tree. The baboons also grabbed the chicks from the water and ate them alive in an feeding frenzy orgy. The eggs were also part of their “feast”. The baboons showed no fear for the crocodile that was nearby.

How often does this happen? How long will the bird-community survive? I’ve seen many times how Plovers would defend their young, but they are much more agile than the herons, and more aggressive/assertive than (for example) a weaver. What plan will the herons and Kingfishers make?

to be continued .....

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

“Darrrlin, ourrr lil holiday is commin to an end now, isn’t it ?”

“Yes dear”

“But, we will make the most of it, won’t we Darrrrrlin”

“Yes dear”

“We’ve been blessed with some special sightings these past two or thrrrrree days, werrren’t we Darrrrrlin?”

“Yes dear”

“Just a pity we did not see any tigerrrrrrs again.....

“ Yes dear”

“ Perrrhaps we should stop a Nyamundwa again and see if we can spot the Afrrrican Bald Eagle agian, Darrrrrlin???”

“Yes dear”

And once again she was smiling and softly chuckling at his getting his animals and birds all wrong. He still believes they saw a tiger near Sku – ka- Zoo, a Wolf at the hyena-den, and now he is talking about an African Bald Eagle. Everybody knows it is an African Fish Eagle .... :roll: :roll: :roll:

On the last day of our always to short visit we saw plenty of birds. And all of them had something yellow in them. I believe this is a White-browed Robin-chat (Heuglinse Janfrederik) Stiffnecks please confirm or correct me??

And the Crested Barbet is another favourite of mine

And so is the saddle-billed stork

“Darrrrlin, do ya see them banana birds ???”

“Yes dear” sigh … banana bird??? Yellow-billed hornbill???

At Silolweni we saw this magnificent Mr. Nyala

He was soon joined by Mrs. Nyala

But despite his best efforts she did not pay him any further attention :roll: :roll:

On our way to Nyamundwa, we saw a huge herd of buffalo

Always special for us, is seeing a raptor. I think this is a Wahlberg’s Eagle once again, stiffnecks, please confirm or correct??

It was getting quite late now and the light was fading, almost as if to tell us our time in KNP was almost over…

The Egyptian Geese continued their noisy patrolling of “their” dam …

And then it happened: a Fish Eagle came in its entire splendor and glided in for a catch. My camera was ready and I could fulfill a life-long dream!! I could capture a catch on camera!!!

And all too soon our visit to Kruugha was over. There are so much more I can tell and pictures I can share, but these few really stand out for me. I wanted to share photos of another fantastic sighting, but though I do have it on camera, but the light was so poor and it was on the far side of the dam. A little after me getting my Fish- Eagle catch photo, three Egyptian Geese and the Fish Eagle had a little brawl when the Eagle came to close to them for their liking. They literally attacked the Eagle and all four of them ended up in the water in a cacophony of sound and a massive splash.

So dear Forumites, with a already paid for booking secured for me and my SO, it is time for me to end this TR where I made use of an imaginary Tourist and his Darrrlinn and say: Cheerrrrrrioooo

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To everybody who took time to read this TR, I hope you enjoyed it! And to my dear forumites who took time to comment (and correct my flawed/faulty birdie IDs :D :D :D ), much appreciated. It really encourages me to write more and more reading your posts. Thank you JenB, Meandering Mouse, hilda, barryels, NetEk, Philip1, Lion Queen, Trrp-Trrrrrrrr, gatita, Heksie, Nkulu, isinkwe, Carolg, Cape of Storms, Melrockson, Pumbaa, Yusuf, tent dweller, Shusin, billyf and Foxy for the kind words. Hope to meet face to face one day!

:gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Perhaps I will add one more photo of me and my dear SO. We are blessed to be happily married for almost 27 years now and this is where we just love to be: in nature feeling close to our Creator

And since there is a paid and confirmed visit in the distant future, I will end with

to be continued....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]