Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anthony's Lion near Mooiplaas. KNP, Dec. '05
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:59 pm 

Hi all.

I spent christmas 2005 in the Kruger. We spent 7 nights at Letaba.

One morning we decided to take a trip to Mooiplaas for breakfast. Just before you get the turn to Mooiplaas while traveling north, we took the left turn to the confluence (not sure of the name).
Anyways we parked there for bout 20 mins as it was still a little early for breakfast. Just as we started up to leave, one of the biggest male lions I have ever seen in the Kruger came walking down the middle of the dry river bed. Wow! :D But as quickly as he had appeared, was he gone again, walking in the direction of Mooiplaas!

So off we went to the picnic spot and set up under the thatch thingy at the view of the river. It was the longest breakfast ever as we waited and hoped that the lion kept walking in the river and would pass by infront of us. What a treat that would be! 2 hours later and nothing! That was the most exiting breakfast iv had in Kruger to date!

Olifants - 4 nights
Biyamiti - 3 nights
Skukuza - 3 nights

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sounds great Anthony! Actually a good thing it didn't show up at the site itself! I can just imagine the chaos if a lion comes strolling through the picnic site! :shock:

Mooiplaas is a great spot, my favourite picnic area! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Not the way I would like to see a kill, should the lions' nature kicks in if people start to run away!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:03 am 

On Monday I remembered this sighting and although I know this is irrational, I visited Mooiplaas and the confluence hoping that I would see something similar. The riverbed is no longer dry. The river was flowing and on Tuesday, after the obvious rain that fell all night and was still falling early in the morning, it seemed fuller. What a wonderful sight! I'm not sure what lions are up to in such a downpour, but needless to say, they were nowhere to be found.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]