Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Wildkyker's The Enslins Skukuza 21km weekend, Aug. '13
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our Skukuza Halfmarathon weekend 3 Aug.

On 2 Aug. My family and I packed the car and drove from Pretoria to Neslpruit to meet up with our friends that live there. We all were going to the Kruger park tomorrow for the annual Skukuza Halfmaraton.
We arrived in Nelspruit at about 18:00 wich is why we decided to overnight at our friends place. JC and Yolani Kriek welcomed us to the lovely home and we settled in.
Early the next morning we packed the bakkie and wê were of at about 6:00 heading to Phabeni gate.
Passport photo
My SO and Little Wildkyker with JC and Yolani Kriek

A Quick bathroom break and we entered the Kruger through Phabeni gate
The road was quiet up to Skukuza. We arrived at the staff village and sportfield
Lucky for us it was overcast and cool. We pitched the cazebo and chairs for the girls.
JC and I was taking on the 21km and we made our way to the start. The gun went off at 8:30
What an amazing experience to do a run in Kruger park. We ran through the staff village,gholf course and past the holding pens and mostly on gravel road. On the S42 past Lake Panic and on the H11 tar road before turning back to the staff village. Its not an easy 21km and the Kruger is not flat thats for sure.
When we got our breath back we braaied some wors on the skottelbraai and told our war stories
We had a great time there on the cricket field but was eager to get under a shower and to book in at Skukuza.
We were staying in Bungalows BE2 no 40-41
An afternoon nap was in order want ek was blerrie moeg!
At 16:15 we went on aan afternoon drive Over the Sabie river and the Maroela loop. We saw some general game but they were scarse. Down the H12 to cross the Sabie again and back to Skukuza when all of as sudden there this magical animal stood right on the side of the road
(It was getting dark and the Photos are not great at all)
At first I thought can it be, no its a White Rhino but then it lifted its head up high and I said its a Black Rhino!
It was a first ever for me. I tried to get some nice pictures but the light was fading.
What luck and at last a Black Rhino!
Back to camp we went to make fire and feed two hungry runners and their family
We had a lovely evening in company of good friends.
The next morning Little Wildkykertjie was awake first
We had a walk down to the river
JC and Yolani wanted to see the Selati restaurant so went there before we left
Passport photo
We headed down the H3 but game was scarse
We stopped at Afsaal for breakfast and the bushbuck greeted us
Little Wildkyker enjoying the fresh air and atmosphere at Afsaal
The two runners hurting but not showing it making breakfast
A Lovely breakfast
Passport Photo
We headed South to Malelane gate
We exited at Malelane gate wich ended a short but lovely weekend in Kruger park.
A last Passport Photo
THE END

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]