Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Fun and family in Kruger - May/June 2013
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:16 pm 

Ok, so by now I am sure you had long written me off and forgotten that we are somewhere up in the Letaba area about to embark on a drive up to Bateleur where we were to be based for only 1 night.
Anyway, huge apologies for the loooong delay but life just somehow gets in the way! :redface:
but I will complete this report as we don't have that long before we depart for our next trip. :thumbs_up:

I must thank all those who have faithfully viewed and commented thus far. :clap:

Not sure if I mentioned that we stayed in bungalow #A5 in Letaba, quite near the back, again not ideally positioned by adequate for our 1 night stay.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Jock had once again strolled down to the fence overlooking the river and watched the sun slowly making it presence felt.
What a way to start the day! Sigh!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

And the little resident Bushbuck in the early morning light.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Finally all packed up and on our way northwards!

The Letaba bridge still bearing signs of the awful flood waters some months before!

ImageLarge

It was a stunning morning and we just couldn't resist the view taken from the bridge.

ImageLarge

A little Blackwinged Stilt hoping to be in luck with some breakfast!

ImageLarge

Carrying on we find a little Steenbok

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Checking for danger!

ImageLarge

We decided to take the S48 Tsendze Loop instead of the tar road and we hadn't gone very far we met a breeding herd of Ellies

ImageLarge

They weren't all that pleased to see us at first and the one trumpeted its displeasure but soon wandered off to join the rest of its herd, thank goodness!!

one of the youngsters in the herd.

ImageLarge

One of our best birds to photograph and how do you resist them?

ImageLarge

Next up a threesome of Swainson's Francolins posing nicely!

ImageLarge

and an old "dagga boy" glaring our way!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Brown-hooded Kingfisher

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We then decided a stop off in Mopani for a spot of breakfast was in order.

Sat out on the deck overlooking the lovely Pioneer Dam

ImageLarge

and plenty to entertain us while we waited for our breakfast order to arrive.

African Darter drying its wings.

ImageLarge

What I think is a Purple Heron?

ImageLarge

Some far off Hippos

ImageLarge

and the never too far off where food is concerned Starling

ImageLarge

Our breakfast wrap Mopani style!

ImageLarge

A beautiful Impala Lily in the grounds of Mopani.

ImageLarge

Tummies full we carry on and before we had gone too came across some ellies slaking their thirst at one of the reservoirs.

ImageLarge

S52
and we have to stop off at the Red Rocks lookout!

ImageLarge

Nothing to much moving but love the beautiful and scenic outlook.

Arriving at Batelur camp which was a first visit for all of us and we are impressed by the neat and peaceful little camp.
We are allocated #4 and if anyone wants to see pics of the bungalow I have posted them Here

We soon settled in and were highly entertained by the this Starling decided a little pool was a good place for a drink!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Also this Red-billed Hornbill who seemed to be waiting for the braai!

ImageLarge

and the little tree Squirrels who were all over the place begging like crazy!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Towards dusk we took a stroll to the hide in the camps ground and sat hoping for something exciting to wander by.

but unfortunately all that we saw was flocks of Doves flying in and out continuously

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Just as the light was starting to die we discovered a Verreaux's Eagle Owl in the big tree opposite the hide but before we could get a pic it flew off into the night. :(

Then the wind suddenly picked up and it blew an absolute gale all night which was quite noisy with all the tree around the camp.

The next day proved to be quite an exciting day so please don't go too far away and I promise to get the next episode underway without delay! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm 

Thanks so much for your continued support to this extended and seemingly never ending TR.

Let me continue as quick as I can.

As we unfortunately only had 1 night booked at Bateleur we had to pack up and head on out towards our next destination which was Shimuwini another camp that Klystron and I had only been to once before and for Jock her first time.

The day dawned much as the night had been, overcast cold and windy!
We left quite early as we wanted to take a drive to the famous Rooibosrand & Silverwis dams.
both new places for us to explore.

Rooibosrand Dam

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

At the dam were a little family of Egyptian Geese, Spurwings, Jacana, and numerous other bird species plus a Grey Heron

ImageLarge

and on the road back from the dam, a Male Double-banded Sandgrouse

ImageLarge

a what I think could be a Little Sparrowhawk but do correct me if you think otherwise!

ImageLarge

and a very well used windmill tower

ImageLarge

Some Impala busy sorting out any differences!

ImageLarge

and one of the beautiful Baobabs in the area. :D

ImageLarge

To get right down to Silverwis Dam is quite an interesting drive and takes one from sparse bushveld vegetation into thick forested trees and very narrow little roads.
We were holding our breath that we didn't come across an ellie who wanted right of way as reversing in there could have been a little challenging to say the least! :shock:
but once one gets right down to the dam itself its really a very pretty, scenic and restful spot to spend some time and enjoy a mug of hot coffee and a few biscuits which is exactly what we did. :D

We watched as some Kudu and Steenbokkies wandered along munching happily on the dense vegetation and Vervet monkeys leapt from tree to tree.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Taking the S52 back towards the tar road and suddenly Jock shouts out the magic words everyone wants to hear! Leopard!

We first saw it in the long grass and then another spied another one once we had reversed a little way back!
So 2 Leopards, super exciting!

I can't really recall which one was which in our pics but will just put some of the best ones on and hope there is one of either but I'm not sure!
Jock, you will have to help me out here!

ImageLarge

I think this is the second one lying on a termite mound?

ImageLarge

and you see how she noticed/heard the second one and turns to look at it.

ImageLarge

and then realizing what it was, relaxes a bit more.

ImageLarge

They didn't hang around long and both disappeared deeper into the grass and bush leaving us very happy at our special sighting.

Our next special sighting was of a pair of Sharpes Grysbok who were very obliging.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Little Tree Squirrel who was the Grysboks companion.

ImageLarge

Next up was this Baboon looking the picture of innocence,
I think?? just love it!!

ImageLarge

Baby and Mom with a far away look in her eye!

ImageLarge

Still some evidence of the floods of a few months before.

ImageLarge

Reaching the H1-6 we start heading south again and before long Klystron asks very casually if anyone is interested in seeing another Leopard :tongue:
and there in the middle of the road stands # 3 of the day!! :D

ImageLarge

but soon decides discretion is the better part of valour and moves off and disappears into the bush leaving us hardly believing what luck we were having that day!

ImageLarge

The iconic Giraffe

ImageLarge

As we still had time to spare we decided to take the S144 & S143 Capricorn loop one of our favourite roads in the area.

but before we do we make sure a Chameleon gets safely over the road.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

As per usual the loop doesn't let us down and we see a wide variety of wildlife and birds, enough to keep us there for as long as time will allow.
including Kori Bustards, Ostrich, Warthogs, Plovers, Secretary Birds and Coucals to name a few.

Some Tsessebe

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Some Wildebeest and if you look closely a little Black-backed Jackal in front of them.

ImageLarge

The bones of the unfortunate ellie who was struck by lighting some months earlier.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

and a flock of Redbilled Queleas You have to look closely again as they seem to be lost in the background vegetation!

ImageLarge

and then an interesting sighting for us with Chestnut-backed & Grey-backed Sparrowlarks together.
My bird guide doesn't list the GB ones as being found in the area.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Female Chestnut-backed
ImageLarge

Grey-backed

ImageLarge

Female

ImageLarge

And on the S50 a large herd of Buffalo

ImageLarge

and for Jock who no doubt took the pic

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

another Sandgrouse, female this time.

ImageLarge

The lovely Saddlebilled Stork

ImageLarge

and then after traversing the little dirt roads we find ourselves at the entrance to Shimuwini to be our home for the next 2 nights.

ImageLarge

We were allocated bungalow # 10 with lovely views of the dam in front.

I have posted some pics of the bungalow if anyone would like to see them Here

For some reason our braai charcoal was making some spectacular sparks that night! :hmz:

ImageLarge

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:06 pm 

Thanks again for all the wonderful replies and comments!

Now its hurry hurry hurry as I try and get another episode finished before our next trip starts in 2 days time! :wink:

Some pics of our time spent in Shimuwini such a lovely bushcamp.

As it was from the chalet looking out over the river.

ImageLarge

A little Brownhooded Kingfisher who spent a lot of time in the tree right opposite our bungalow.

ImageLarge

And some Brownheaded Parrots who were flitting around the grounds.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

The next morning we had to drive back up to Mopani as I wanted to exchange some sunglasses we had bought at the shop which were defective.
but first a slow drive along the private lower dirt road leading to the H14 with some great river views.

The pretty and photogenic Lilac-breasted Roller

ImageLarge

A huge Baobab Tree showing lots of ellie attention! :wink:

ImageLarge

The tree was full of the fruit at this time.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

One of the fruit that had dropped/knocked off the tree and literally covering the ground all around the tree.

ImageLarge

Another view of the river as we progressed along.

ImageLarge

A family of Hippo sunbathing on a little island in the river.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Just after we took this last pic the mother accidentally knocked the one little fella right into the water where he floundered around! :wink:

Juv Giant Kingfisher hoping to catch a bit of breakfast.

ImageLarge

The official Zebbie pic for Jock!

ImageLarge

and a little family of Natal Francolins

ImageLarge

The ever present Fork-tailed Drongo

ImageLarge

After a nice lunch at Mopani and a new pair of sunglasses we depart on the homeward leg.
but hadn't gone very far when we encountered a "roadblock" of the ellie kind!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

as he was in musth we weren't taking any chances and after making us reverse for a couple of hundred meters got tired of the game and went back to eating.

ImageLarge

only to be replaced by a curious Giraffe

ImageLarge

We had just been lamenting the fact that we had not seen many Hyenas this trip when close to the side of the road lay one busy feeding her little cubs so we were delighted to get the sighting.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Seen along the way was a Redcrested Korhaan

ImageLarge

Arriving back at camp we quickly got ourselves ready for a sunset drive we had booked.

And what an amazing drive it was with Godfrey our guide.
We were the only ones doing the drive that night which made it even more special and altho it was freezing cold on the back of the truck once the sun disappeared it was so worth while.
Among all the other usual sightings we had 2 sightings of African wild cat, 2x Spotted Genet, African Civet x2, Spring hares x 3 and lots of Scrub hares and a Spotted Eagle Owl plus numerous Water Thick-knees, A Spotted Thick-knee and a Fiery-necked Nightjar so a most worthwhile drive.

Back at the chalet it was a warm drink and into bed happy campers.

The next morning, the first thing we heard was the loud roaring of a Lion, we never did see him but he kept up the roaring as he made his way along the opposite bank of the river just inside the line of trees.

we sat on the veranda having our breakfast and enjoying the lovely view before having to check out and move on.

A large herd of ellies on the opposite bank.

ImageLarge

Kurrichane Thrush

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

The Brownhooded Kingfisher again

ImageLarge

and a Crested Barbet that came visiting.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We were so thrilled to also get a visit from Shine the resident Duiker.

ImageLarge

More of the lovely views before we dragged ourselves away and set off down towards Phalaborwa gate to do a little bit of grocery shopping.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Certainly a camp we would love to pay another visit in the near future.

Hoping to continue with more but somehow doubt I am going to be able to get this completed until after we get back!
So until then!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:50 pm 

Thanks so much for all the kind comments and very sorry to leave an uncompleted TR.
but I promise to get back to it as soon as we get back home again.

Think the ellie looked a lot closer than we allowed him to actually get as we were using the big lens.
but he was striding purposefully towards us at one point. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 pm 

Right, back again from another wonderful trip, but before I get into that one I really would like to carry on and complete this before starting the next one! :thumbs_up:

Thanks so much for all the previous comments and for your patience! :gflower:

Just a few more pics of Shimuwini camp before we move on.
This is the flood damaged hide in the grounds which I believe is now repaired and able to be used again.

ImageLarge

In the grounds of the camp.

ImageLarge

and what had us quite amused is the bench that one has to sit on to be able to get cell signal! 8)

ImageLarge

on the private road on the way out we found a Crested Francolin with chicks on the side of the road.

ImageLarge

A little Three-banded Plover

ImageLarge

I must add that just before the Phalaborwa gate en route to our shopping trip we saw a lone Wild dog which appeared to have an injury to its foot and was clearly trying to catch up with the rest of the pack.
It was really just a fleeting sighting!

ImageLarge

Shopping done, we made our way along the H9to our next camp which was Olifants

This Marabou Stork getting itself spruced up.

ImageLarge

Also a couple of Mocking Cliff Chats

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

And a nice breeding herd of Ellies!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Such long eyelashes!!

ImageLarge

Travelling down the H1-5 and seeing the Olifants river one sees more evidence of the damage from the floods!

ImageLarge

Another view of the stunning river.

ImageLarge

By a stroke of luck we had managed to secure the most sought after bungalow # 14. 8)
Once settled in we sat soaking up the amazing view from this lovely cottage.

ImageLarge

As it was getting dark.

ImageLarge

Then we noticed as a huge fire raged in the distance lighting up the sky!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Unfortunately we only had 1 night here and we reluctantly had to move on the next day but Satara is always a great place to spend more time in.

Will try to continue asap. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:01 pm 

Thanks so much everyone for your kind comments and for your patience! :gflower:

Right where were we when the bus stalled again!! :doh:

We reluctantly left Olifants camp, sorry that we only had 1 night in such an amazing bungalow, but before we left, one last pic of the views in soft light.

ImageLarge

and a close up of the effect of the rising sun on the rocks below!

ImageLarge

and the Baobab tree on the other side of the river.

ImageLarge

By the time we dragged ourselves away it was 9.30 and the Temp was 15.5 with clear skies above!

A little down the road on the H8 we saw a little pond with an amazing sight of Black, Saddlebilled & Woolynecked Storks all having a tete a tete or morning meeting.
Plus a Hamerkop and a Pied Kingfisher.
Fishing must have been good in there but could not have been much left after they had finished!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We turned onto the S92 and hadn't gone very far before we saw a little group of curious Dwarf Mongooses

ImageLarge

and a very speedy Sharpes Grysbok but it vanished before we could snap a pic!

Some pics of the damaged Balule Bridge.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Back on the H1-5 a Steenbok runs across the road in front of us in a panic!
We scan around to see if we can spot the source of its fright but see nothing. :?
But once again its brought home to us how easily one could hit an animal if speeding!

A stop off on the high level Olifants bridge reveals some basking Hippo

ImageLarge

and a majestic African Fish Eagle

ImageLarge

Seeing as we only had to go as far as Satara we decided to take a slow drive down the S39 Timbavati Road a road we love to "do."

We couldn't resist this cute little newly born Giraffe!

ImageLarge

and an impressive looking Waterbuck who seemed to be happy to pose for us.
Don't you love their heart shaped noses?

ImageLarge

These Ellies were on a mission and walking very fast, so we moved on and let them cross.

ImageLarge

Moving on down the road I scan a rocky area carefully and we find a little pair of Klipspringers on guard, but quite well camouflaged!

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

More sunbathing Hippos next to the river's edge.
And I see Jock has counted them and written 42 down in my notes! :shock:

ImageLarge

Love this pretty Natal Francolins

ImageLarge

A stately male Kudu also carrying an impressive array of horns.

ImageLarge

And a tree that caught our eyes covered in some sort of creeper.

ImageLarge

We arrived at Timbavati Picnic site for a spot of lunch and as I have already embarrassed myself with my comical blunder in another forum I may as well fit it in here, where it actually happened! :redface:

Here

I was very relaxed by this stage which might help my lapse!! :wink:

Carrying on towards our destination we find some more Giraffe plus a lot of other usual game.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Then it was about time for check in at Satara
We were allocated a B39 bungalow, one of the renovated 3 sleepers.

You can have a look B39 Satara for pics of the actual bungalow.

We unpacked, poured something cool to drink and relaxed after a nice drive.

I am going to leave it here for now as I think I have done enough pics but have the rest all ready to continue for the next day and to the end of our trip which was fast approaching!
So I promise I will not leave you hanging! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm 

My sincere thanks to Pikkie, Pumbaa, Kaapsedraai, Carol g, Barryels, Hilda, Jock, JeanniR

Lets get moving again!

The next morning Klystron wanted to have a bit of a lie in so Jock & I went off at gate opening on our own.
There were quite a few cars waiting in line and once the gates opened, a few turned left but most turned right and headed for the S100.
We then decided to rather drive to the H6 instead to avoid driving in convoy and dust!
As I recall there were only us and 1 other car who had made the same decision so we virtually had the road to ourselves.
We hadn't gone too far when we saw first one then another little creature running in the road and then dash into the grass but as the light was still not good we at first couldn't make out what it was but as we neared we could see it was 2 Honey Badgers which we were thrilled about as they were quite high on our wishlist.
After watching them make their way through the grass and disappear we carried on.

Another km or so further on we could hardly believe our eyes when a second pair of Honey badgers appeared and ran up the road in front of us!
This time we managed to snap off a quick pic before they too disappeared but due to the bad light and through the windscreen it hasn't turned out well but proof if you can make our what they are but I can assure you they are indeed 2 little HB's! 8)

ImageLarge

As you can imagine we were more than happy with our decision of road choice. :D

A little further on we came across a well used Hyena den with some youngsters playing tag around the bush and the adults lying around after a night of hunting.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We then turned onto the S41 and was greeted by a flock of Helmeted Guineafowls running down the road towards us.

ImageLarge

then a very handsome Waterbuck

ImageLarge

Back at camp we packed up and left for the drive down to Berg & Dal which was to be our last night in the park.

Driving down the H1-3 we found a pretty Purple Roller

ImageLarge

and then at Mazithi Dam next to the road a nice little group of Ellies, one of them a potential emerging tusker.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

and a pod of Hippos

ImageLarge

This adult Bateleur Eagle caught our eyes sitting in the tree.

ImageLarge

The a Starling showing off its pretty colours.

ImageLarge

We stopped off at Tshokwane for a bite to eat and then carried on with full tummies.

Along the H1-2 we found a sleeping Lion but as such Lions not conducive to good pics.

ImageLarge

After a shopping trip in Skukuza we seemed to have picked up an extra passenger! :wink:

ImageLarge

We decided to take the S114 instead of the tar road and then turned onto the S112 where a little group of Klipspringers was standing guard.

ImageLarge

Then while we were stopped Klystron caught a glimpse of something walking right next to the car and there was a Lioness virtually in touching distance!
Where she had come from we had no idea but she was on a mission!

ImageLarge

She then veered off into the bush and headed for the rocky outcrops and as she looked as if she was lactating had to assume she had cubs hidden up high in among the rocks.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

We then checked into our bungalow at B & D which was a perimeter one but not the greatest view.

I have added the pics into the accommodation Here

We settled in for our last braai of the trip sitting chatting about the things we had seen and experienced.
I do recall hearing a Hyena calling loudly sometime during the night who must have walked along the fence line.

We left quite early the next morning as we still had a long drive back down home.

Our last pic is this Green Wood-Hoopoe

ImageLarge

We then reached the gate and left with that horrible empty feeling one gets when a wonderful trip has ended.

I must thank Klystron for being the chief driver and cameraman and Jock for all her wonderful pics, many of which are contained in this report and also her awesome spotting abilities. :k

Thanks also to all those who have joined us on this trip and for all your amazing support and wonderful comments and apologise again for the time I have taken to complete it. :tongue:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3