Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 9 of 9
 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Kats, kugels and Kamikazi bushchickens
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Timbits wrote:
To echo Philip1's comment, thank you to everyone for this most enjoyable trip report. I really enjoyed it.

:thanx:

Timbits, lovely to see you around again.

melph68 wrote:
Oooh yes, I spotted the gorgeous little baby bush chicken :clap: :clap: :clap:
Very cute :lol:

Love your birding categories MM :lol:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

There is also the ""Ï wish I had a bigger lens"" category.

The day we arrived at Kruger, there had been a lot of excitement about a possible sighting of an Egyptian Vulture. Imagine that tick :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I will own p to being more than a bit interested in anything remotely vulture looking. We did have one sighting of a hooded vulture early in the trip... I misdiagnosed it as a lappet faced.

A vulture, not from our trip.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:26 pm 

Finale

We awoke the last morning with heavy hearts as we knew we had to start our journey home. We were out the gate as it opens (yes we were first in line) and off we went.

We took the S25 and our eyes, newly opened for birding after SRBC, had our binocs and bird book ready for action and we were rewarded greatly!

DSC_9796 by Graeme and Nicky, on Flickr

DSC_9805 by Graeme and Nicky, on Flickr

DSC_9811 by Graeme and Nicky, on Flickr

Along the way we were stopped by an OSV from an outside KNP company, and were told that there was lion on the corner of the S25 and S139, and off we went. When we arrived, the scrum had already started and here I would like to pose an interesting question: to enter or not to enter?

The lions were in fact not on the corner but on the actual S139, about 300-500 metres in, but those of you that know the road, will also know that it is in fact a no-entry road, unless you are actually staying at Biyamati. We believe that these roads are for the privilege of the residents, sort of a perk, so as good citizens of KNP, we drove on (silently hoping that the rest of the scrum would be caught and given fines) LOL. What do you think dear forumites?

The rest of the trip went off without any hassle and before long we were heading home were we arrived safe and sound (albeit a bit sad). Until the Sunday, 26 May 2013, 6 days after we got home. Graeme had been complaining all day of headaches and flu symptoms, and developed a bit of a fever during the night. But like most men, don’t want to hear anything about going to the doctor. That is until Wednesday morning, when he woke up, and almost could not get out of bed. By now he had developed swollen glands and yes, you guessed it...and the doctor confirmed it....Tick bite fever! He was non-compus mentace for about two days afterwards, but the anti-biotics did the trick and he is ready to go for another trip. Thanks for the chat about ticks Louis and Duncan; we knew what to look out for.

Well this is the end...my friends....till next time!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I did promise to post some of my pictures, paltry as they are. I was really rather dismayed when I was confronted with the extent of my camera laziness, but here are a few on the way.

Its Annapangolin's birthday today and perhaps it is fitting that I start with a picture of our dear pangolin. This was a breakfast stop and what amazes me is the size of the trees. It is really difficult to take in just how imposing there riverine trees are.

More of our intrepid guides looking for signs in the sand. I cannot tell you how special it was to have these enthusiastic young people with us as trailists.

Breakfast time was always a time to ask questions and catch up on the many signs and sightings of the morning. It was also a time to stuff our little faces. :wink: I just loved breakfast time. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Duncan is talking to Greame and Nicky with Louis listening in. Chirinda is taking a welcome breather on the rocks. Note the nibbling. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We had some strangely overcast days for the time of year. I was not unhappy about it as it made walking that much more pleasant. Breakfast time was often rather atmospheric. I loved the subdued lighting. I loved the silence of the river bed, the clouds and the sun playing to conspire to keep us guessing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:17 am 

Thanks for bringing back the memories MM, :clap:
I will show these to Nicky at home tonight

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9