Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger live! DB & Hawk report'in
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
About time this TR and it's seems a new one got going again :dance: :dance:

Enjoy the Kudu awards and the rest of your trip DB and pics, lots of them please :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:52 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Safe travels DinkyBird and Hawk, and enjoy the Kudu Awards, as well as Kruger! Looking forward to this report! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:38 pm 

Looking forward to your TR

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:53 pm 

We are here!!! And it is wonderful, perfect and such a blessing to be here.

I tried to connect via my notebook, but no go ... grrrr so this is a quick check in via my phone.

We arrived at Croc Bridge at about 3pm after a weekend of high excitement in Pretoria. So much to share.

The park, the little we have seen, is looking stunning. And to be greeted at the gate by SANParks security so smart in uniform, somehow just seems 'right'.

Frogs are singing away, and its off to catchup some sleep in order to be at the gate at 5.30am. What will we see ...

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Enjoy DB, and when you can, please tell us all about it :dance: :dance:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 pm 

I am dying to Carol, so as soon as I get a good signal I will.

And actually gate opens at 4.
30!!! So its good night from me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
DinkyBird wrote:
I am dying to Carol, so as soon as I get a good signal I will.

And actually gate opens at 4.
30!!! So its good night from me!

Thanks DB :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have a great time dinky bird and hawk - hope you have many wonderful sightings.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi DB and Hawk. I hope you have wonderful sightings to share with us. I am as usual :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 pm 

Better late than never as they say, but I'm loving this TR. Whatever treat awaits us in the next update and chapter of this captivating story.

May 2014 Trip: Skukuza 10/11 May; Satara 12/13 May; L/Sabie 14 May; P/Kop 15 May.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:24 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I envy you DinkyBird and Hawk! Have a GREAT time with lots of wonderful sightings! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:mrgreen: DinkyBird and Hawk have a wonderful time.

Looking forward to hear all about it. :thumbs_up:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:47 pm 

Thanks guys :)

We arrived at Skukuza today, so at last some sort of internet connection. Going back a little in time, what I wrote yesterday:

Balule, 9 November 2013
– I write this while sitting under a shady shambok tree, the sky hidden by cloud, the air, warm and still. We have a fire going in our little webber, and this is adding a typical South African lunch time atmosphere with the smell of briquettes and firelighters burning in the air.

The camp has been very quiet, with only a few sites occupied each night. For the weekend we have the Midrand SHRs (SANParks Honorary Rangers) holding their Balule Bash in the hutted section of the camp. It looks like an event not to be missed - very peaceful, a hammock under a tree, tables and chairs set out to enjoy delicious food ...

The Kudu Awards, 1 Nov
A week ago, I was on a high after having attended the prestigious gala event, the SANParks Kudu Awards, to receive the SANParks VHRs’ Kudu Award. The evening was lovely; it was an honour to be invited and to share in SANParks acknowledging their loyal staff who have gone the extra mile, and others, who play a meaningful role in conservation. It was a night of glamour, but as Dr Mabunda assured the Board and stakeholders, not only was SANParks tightening their belts, but losing weight too. I could see this effort by just comparing with the events of years gone by ... no gifts for the guests this time for one. Apart from being very proud of our forum and the VHRs, I took away the following words from Dr Mabunda’s address .... its time for compulsory conscription to aid conservation in SA.

Leading up to the event was a morning at Groenkloof and an afternoon of pampering and hairdos, make up and manicures – a far cry from how one dresses when in the bush.

At our table sat a Corporal from Kruger who received an award for bravery, for saving the life of a colleague and that of a leopard. One of SANParks’ true heroes. And then there is the winner of the WCCA, Andrew Desmet; a humble man, still in much pain, and another SANParks hero. I have posted some pictures in the Wild Projects forum.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:50 pm 

Crocodile Bridge, a day to regroup.

We arrived at Croc Bridge early on Sunday afternoon. It was good to see the gates, both park and camp, again manned by smart men and women in the SANParks greens.

The south is luscious after what looks like a good rain, and life seems abundant – especially the insect life. Dung beetles are everywhere, making negotiating past them on the road trying not kill any a real challenge.

We were met at our campsite by a very friendly boomslang. He kept a beedy eye on us for a while as we set up camp, and although he was not bothered by us, we were bothered by him, lol.

And we saw a dead scorpion lying on the sand. A sizable fellow ... and once the sun went to bed, his extended family, and friends came out. A sight we have never seen in all our years in Kruger.

After needing to drive into Komatipoort to buy closed shoes (anti scorpion protection) and have a puncture repaired, we took a slow drive along the S28 and I was thrilled to see the much talked about ‘Vurhami pride’ of lions lying, bellies full, on the rocks at Gasanftombi Dam.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It's 7am somewhere near Balule in KNP. A group of monkeys are hanging around in their favourite tree, planning their day. "Ok guys", says Mick the leader, "what are we gonna do today? Should we hit Balule campsite first, there are sure to be a few new suckers there today." "I can live with that'"says George, "I passed there late yesterday and the smell of fresh bananas coming from a van that had just arrived was overwhelming. Boys and girls, just imagine fresh ripe bananas for breakfast. So what are we waiting for, let's hit it"..
And so they set off in high spirits for Balule. On the way Mick reminds them that DB from the Forum should be in Balule about this time and it's her birthday today."Considering we're big time forum supporters, perhaps we should look her up and wish her a happy birthday". he says.

As they approach the camp fence, the aroma of bananas and avos draws them to a small offroad caravan in the corner. "Ok kids" says Mick, "this is the plan, Maizie you put on a show for that old duffer Titus and keep him away from here, George you check the windows, Sparrow you do the canvas, and I'll do the doors.The rest of you check the ground kit".

Soon there's a shout from Sparrow, "Ok Boss, we're in, none of the zips are secured.When are these poor humans gonna learn, just because they call us monkeys they think we really are stupid".Sparrow upzips a top vent and lightly drops to the floor inside the van. "Wow!" he calls, "Boss, we've hit the jackpot here, you gotta see this to believe it. Call the gang, lets party, man you gotta hand it to these humans, for the weird creatures that they are, they dont have bad taste in food". And so they went to town; between somersaults, laughter and eating they scattered raw oats and rasins, choc chips and chia seeds, goji berries and nuts from one end to the other. They enjoyed the eggs, finished the bananas, sampled half a dozen avos, eating only the best. And best of all, they found the Woolie's christmas cake which they polished off leaving only a cleanly licked wrapper.

After a thoroughly good feast pandemonium broke out when a fellow camper noticed the invasion."Party's over" called Mick, "We're outta here, move it, move it, lets go"..

Just as Mick was about to leave, he noticed a birthday card lying in a pool of sticky raw egg, the writing smudged and barely readable. Something made him stop to read it. Struggling to make out the words, he read slowly, "Happy birthday DB"

Oh no! not DB's caravan he thought and then he quickly scribbled a note in the mess on the floor. "Sorry about the mess DB, but it's what we monkeys are designed to do, have a lovely birthday". "We had a wonderful party"..

PS: Realy sorry about what was left on the outside table. Old Willie loses bowel control when he thinks he may get shot..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next