Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 6
 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: KTP March 2013 - Now I've had the time of my life...
Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

30/03/2013 – Kieliekrankie and out

It was still dark when we rose and for the first time we found it rather chilly as well. The sky was still covered with clouds that looked like soaked sponges… Naturally, the waterhole remained empty and we left KK at 6.30 am sharp without having taken another photo. anne-marie was up and running already as well and came to hug us goodbye. :k

It was still very very dark and the Kalahari still seemed fast asleep. Not that I would have expected to see anything anyway. But I wasn’t worried. After all the KTP had already given us our farewell gifts the day before. :dance:

But 45 minutes after we had left KK, the varied selection of sightings began.

First up a cape fox!

Another treat 8) as I only had seen Charlie Fax and her offspring at Uri this trip.

Spots had hardly moved forward again when I shouted ‘Stop’ again. For the Verreaux eagle owl.

And a minute down the road, Spots had to come to a standstill yet again. Another Verreaux! :shock:

We weren’t far from Houmed where we had seen the caracal yesterday and of course I had wanted to check on the rooikat again although I believed it to be long gone. Not at all! :big_eyes:

Video by Spots:
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=xe3brm&s=6

Now it paid off that we had done the first stretch of our way out without disruptions as it allowed us to sit with the caracal for a bit. Still after 20 minutes we had to get going again as the clock was ticking and you never know what might prevent you from getting ahead. :doh:

Well, this chap was…

He called out for his family and was soon on their heels in the dunes.

And that was that… But – WOW – we had gotten an almost one to one copy of the sightings from yesterday! And we felt blessed. There is nothing like a caracal as one of your last sightings before you leave the park!

:gflower: :k Thank you, Kalahari – you have treated us extremely well again! :k :gflower:

Post subject: Re: KTP March 2013 - Now I've had the time of my life...
Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The reason why I had the time of my life:

20 different lions (well, Spots got 26)
6 different brownies
4 different leopards
3 different cheetah
2 different wild cats
2 different melanistic gabar goshawks
1 carcal on 2 occasions

New ticks for:
brown-hooded kingfisher
pearl-spotted owlet
Ludwig’s bustard
Burchell’s sandgrouse
African grey hornbill
Cape shovelers

First time sightings in KTP of a baby kori bustard, a grey-headed heron, an Egyptian goose, an Acadia pied barbet and a jackal buzzard.

More than the usual amount of sightings of martial eagle, red-necked falcons, pygmy falcons, different kind of owls.

Some interesting and / or funny animal and bird behaviour we hadn’t watched before.

The excitement of having a Cape cobra in the unit and sharing your bedroom and shower with tons of bats.

The unexpected sighting of a herd of elands.

Witnessing several proper Kalahari thunderstorms.

But the three top sightings remain:
Watching a leopard kill a jackal. Walking with the very same leopard before watching her feeding at very close range.
Watching the PCG and Cape cobra interaction.
Getting to see a caracal for the first time in KTP and a quality sighting on top of it.

On the not so wild side:
Meeting lots and lots of great people along the way - R&R, bucky & family, Landy1, Martie, click-click, VVS & SO
Meeting anne-marie for the first time and getting to spend quite some time with her.
Having the best camp assistants you could fathom.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6