Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 6
 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP March 2013 - Now I've had the time of my life...
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

21/03/2013 – Nossob to Gharagab

A new day was dawning at Nossob hide.

Today we would be going to Gharagab for the first time. Once again we took a leisurely start. When we got up to Cubitje we found hartebeests at the waterhole.

Further north some skittish kudus that would run off to hide.

Once again it was a pretty quiet drive, but beautiful nonetheless. 8)

At Kousant a spotted hyena was basking in the sun. No idea why the critter thought it apt to lie out in the sun with temps having reached their 30ies by 9.30 am already. :slap:

As the hyena didn’t seem to inclined to move any time soon, we proceeded our journey to Gharagab and found some cute meerkats about half an hour later. :dance:

After that we met Richard & Rusty again who were coming down from a one night stay at Grootkolk and were on their way to Urikaruus. They told us about an injured spotted hyena lying in the shade a Lijersdraai. And we sure found it. At first we thought it was dead as didn’t even flick an ear, but when a second car arrived it lifted its head slightly.

The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful, but the way into Gharagab offered some stunning views! 8)

Alas, Gharagab Dam was dry and the present oryx, wildebeest and hartebeest were desperately trying to lick the little water that leaked through the pump.

Tbc with Eric's exceptional greeting at Gharagab. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

So here is Eric's exceptional greeting:

Arriving at Gharagab, we were greeted by another wonderful camp attendant – Eric. The introductory part went something like this: “Hi, I’m Eric and the lions are underneath this bush and that tree.” Say what??? :big_eyes: We were sure we were in for a treat later in the day when it had cooled down a little. :twisted: It was 44°C by then and in the dunes we had recorded a high of 47°C. :slap:

So we unpacked and settled down on the deck to let nature take her course.

The lanners were out and about, so I tried my luck with a shot in flight.

Also a bateleur showed briefly.

There were also 6 oryx in the vicinity, eyeing the sleeping lions suspiciously, clearly wanting to go for a drink but didn’t dare to in the presence of the enemy…

During the afternoon the distant lions would move just to take up a different sleeping position or to fulfill their basic needs… The real movement started only around 5.30 am when the first lioness came crawling out of her bed to go to the waterhole for a drink.

It didn’t take long for the male youngsters to follow suit.

And big daddy eventually made an appearance as well.

But they all flopped down again in the shade to the right side of the waterhole.

However, I was eager to see the little ones as there were three cubs with their mum hidden underneath a bush to our left. It took them until 6.45 pm before they made their way down to the waterhole and unfortunately the light had gone from there.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

With courtesy of Spots (at least something if he doesn't show
his face on my TR :tongue: ) here are some videos to watch as well:

Father and sons
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=29w7qix&s=6

Lioness and cubs
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=vvnmp&s=6

The admonishing
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=15dnfv4&s=6

Cubs drinking
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=34z0il2&s=6

TLC
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=102s65e&s=6

Could it be any better?

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

22/03/2013 – Gharagab

Today was camp time – for two reasons: a) we had a flat tyre as Eric had related to us the previous evening :doh: and b) Dankbaar, the only other waterhole in the closer area (4 km from the camp) was dry anyway :roll: . But we couldn’t care less. We had books to read and a waterhole in front of us. It was a beautiful day and we had had a splendid sighting the evening before. 8) But that splendid sighting had chased away most of the other waterhole visitors… Still, the oryx were able to come to drink now and we got some hartebeest as well.

Later a secretary bird came to wash its feet. :twisted:

And a hoopoe and a breeding female red-billed quelea made for a nice change regarding bird sightings.

As we had to get moving the next day, it was essential that we got our tyre changed. Thanks to our extremely helpful neighbours from unit 1 – Kobie and Annette :k – and from Eric :k that chapter was closed within an hour. But it did cause some anger as we found our spare tyre wasn’t an intact one either. It had been fixed with a plug. :evil: Plus the plug wasn’t sitting on the track but at the side, making it likely to pop out eventually. :evil: SO was furious with the rental guy and would phone him the next day from Nossob to order two intact, unfixed tyres to be brought up to Twee the day after. :twisted: But that’s another story coming up then…

As it was hot again and the critters laid low I thought it a good idea to do the same while Spots would man the waterhole with the instruction to wake me up for something interesting – which includes raptors of all sorts. I had hardly dozed off when I heard him calling my name. All excited I was fully alert instantly but I don’t think that “There is a snake in our unit.” was exactly what I had waited to hear… :big_eyes: Spots went to fetch Eric for help while I was eyeing any possible movement meticulously. Nothing… :-? Eric came with the snake stick and after describing what the snake looked like he deemed it to be a Cape cobra. :shock: Uh, nice. :D Just not in the unit. :slap: Despite all efforts undertaken by Eric, the snake wasn’t seen again…

Otherwise the day was rather quiet but the evening produced some brown hyenas. There must have been at least two as we saw them together. But as they were disappearing to our left and a brownie came in from the right only a few minutes later, I reckon there were even three. :dance:

The jackals are pretty tame at that camp and I think this pic makes it safe to assume that there is a reason for it… :evil:

Last edited by Lionspoon on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

23/03/2013 – Gharagab to Grootkolk

Moving day! Seeing that we only had to go to GK, we took it easy (for a change… :whistle: ) and left only about 8.30 am after having fully enjoyed our morning visitors:

No. 1

No. 2

The drive out of Gharagab was a bit more adventurous than the drive in with 2 mean dunes that shook us through big time. Actually, I will admit to all of those who have been to Gharagab and felt ashamed for failing the fist dune (or was it the second, can’t remember exactly) – we did as well. :lol:

We were still on the loop after having gotten out of the Gharagab route, when I spotted my first Ludwig’s bustards ever. :dance: Well, not exactly. I had seen one on our drive up, but the photo was even worse than this, so I thought I’m gonna wait with posting.

In total we saw even 7 of these birds. Amazing! 8) Year after year you don’t get a single one but once the spell is broken… Well, at least that’s what I like to hope. :mrgreen:

The injured hyena at Lijers was still there. I was getting worried that day.

But when we came back the next, it was gone. So I hope it made a good recovery. :thumbs_up:

Another martial along the way.

As we were a bit too early to check in at Grootkolk we decided to check out Union’s End waterhole. There was a strange kind of raptor sitting. Initially I thought it was a lanner falcon and got excited when it didn’t fly off on our approach as lanners usually do – at least with me. But this one stayed put. And it didn’t look right for a lanner either. Hmmmz. My birdbook didn’t give me any indication of what this might be. Some days later we met bucky and family on the Aoub side. :yaya: They had a different birdbook on them which led me to believe I might have caught a juvenile black harrier. But it was Barcud who finally shed some light on the ID of the mysterious raptor – juvenile jackal buzzard. Not a tick, but I have never seen them in KTP before. And a close up raptor always makes me happy anyway. :dance:

Tbc with our friends at Grootkolk...

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Arriving at Grootkolk we were given our favourite unit and all our friends were already waiting for us:

Image Scaly-feathered finch

Image Red-headed finch

Image Black-faced waxbill

Image Red-eyed bulbul

Image Grey-headed sparrows of both sexes

Even a breeding male red-billed quelea came to say hello:

And it seems that every camp now got a braai inspector :twisted:

Grootkolk has a kitchen inspector on top of it :slap:

The wildebeests were hogging the waterhole :naughty: , but two of them had had their fill and were rubbing faces in the dust.

Later some kudus arrived but the wildebeest were still hogging the waterhole and didn’t let the kudus get anywhere near the water. Even the brownie declared defeat to the mob and ran off. :evil:

Once the wildebeest were gone, the kudu were able to quench their thirst. :D

The hyena would be back later that night, but I didn’t even think of attempting a proof shot. :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:20 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

24/03/2013 – Grootkolk to Urikaruus

We already had to move again. Not by choice, but because we hadn’t been able to get more than one night in GK. :doh: Actually, shortly before our trip we could have added a second night here, but then we would have had to let go of Uri. Since we don’t hold a single night in Uri on our next trip, we decided to keep our itinerary the way it was. But at least I would finally get to meet anne-marie at Urikaruus. :dance:

The morning started with two stately kudu bulls, but unfortunately the light was still very low.

He was intently checking the dunes to our right which got us a bit suspicious. :whistle:

And, well, what can I say… I didn’t take long for Madame to arrive.

Seems to get a bit of a tradition at GK that the lions try to prevent us from leaving… :lol:

Anyhoo. Her face was rather bloody and I wondered if there were still the same amount of wildebeest than there had been the day before. All too soon she vanished into the dunes again, before the sun would have come up. SO and I went on seeing to our business of drinking coffee, getting washed / showered, packing up and loading the car, when…

came marching in.

“You didn’t believe I’d come back and bring Le Petit Prince with me?”

After having finished their business at the waterhole we got some lovely TLC display.

It was 8.30 am by then and it was high time to leave as Franco had to do all of the camp for new guests. Luckily, the lions did us the favour to disappear so it wasn’t too hard to say our final goodbye.

Tbc with a few more sightings on our way to Uri before taking a break until anne-marie has caught up with us at Uri as I know quite a few of you are reading her TR as well. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice pics of the prince his mom and aunty :clap: :clap: :clap:

As for the Acacia Pied Barbet

SO did get a pic

Like yours?

We were confused about what it was. Then SO said you mentioned seeing a 'rare' bird with a long name :D :redface: :D

Later Franco id'ed it for us. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A couple of days later it returned....and returned....and returned :D :D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks

anne-marie, Philip, Martie, Carol, Tobieo, Richard, barryels,
hilda, Trrp-trrrrrrrr, Jeannie, Mel, PJL, Wanda, vinkie

for reading and commenting. :gflower:

Richard, my photo of the barbet was even more blurred that your first one. :lol:
But I saw that you got much, much better pictures of it during your trip. :mrgreen:

barryels, we've seen kudu on the Aoub side ocassionally, but mostly only on the Nossob side. :hmz:

Seeing that anne-marie will soon leave Nossob to go to Uri as well, I will post the the rest until
we all arrive at Urikaruus. :wink:

So, we left Grootkolk but didn’t get too far when the next surprise awaited us: About 15 elands in the riverbed. :shock: But by the time I had registered what I was looking at and had gotten my camera pointed at them, they were already legging it deeper into Botswana. :doh: Still, we had gotten to see them – something I seriously hadn’t counted on as they seemed to have vanished from the South African side again after their prolonged visit in winter and spring.

Nothing exciting happened anymore until Cubitjie where once again a bateleur was occupying the waterhole. He was close and unfussed by our car so I settled to take a series of shots.

But it didn’t take long for another car to arrive from the north. The bateleur was still going nowhere but then the moron spoilt the sighting because he opened his door to take photos. Naturally, the bateleur was gone in secs and I was furious! :evil:

There were also what I believe to be Burchell’s Sandgrouse

At Nossob we took a stop over as Spots had some unfinished business with our rental car company and our fixed tyres. :twisted: He wanted to phone them to order two new tyres to be brought up to Twee the next day. Still, we wanted our flat tyre fixed in case the fixed spare tyre that had been put on in Gharagab would blow. While the SO explained our situation to the reception staff at Nossob I was dreaming away in the shade outside the building when all of a sudden two familiar faces stopped at the petrol station. It was R & R again on her way back to Grootkolk. We spent some time chatting and comparing notes of our sightings. :whistle: Somehow we also discussed that stupid no alcohol on Sunday law as well and we had to admit that we were almost out of stock when R & R offered to rescue us with their Savannas. Once again – thanks heaps for saving us! :k To soon everyone had settled their business and we all had to leave. Unfortunately we didn’t get to meet again this time around, but being true KTP addicts I hope we’ll get another chance in the not too far future. Or maybe for a dinner when we get the CT urge again. :wink:

As it was hot by then, nothing was moving anymore and I didn’t take a single picture until we reached Eland waterhole on the northern dune road. This chap was having a nap.

Arriving at Urikaruus we saw that anne-marie hadn’t pitched yet but the most friendly Jacques came to greet us and show us to our unit. He was kind enough to inform us about the bat problem, but that we had already gathered from R & R who had stayed here the night before. Around 4 pm I went to take a shower. Spots went to the bathroom approximately half an hour later and came back in utter disbelieve, telling me I had to see that to believe: Our shower was black… pitch black. :big_eyes: There were bats everywhere and even some circling in the bedroom. I was too flabbergasted to get my wits together and take a photo of that sight. :slap: Instead I grabbed a towel and started evacuating the bats one by one. The SO took care of those in the bedroom and by the time we were finished we had set free about 40 bats. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

When we had finished with the bats, anne-marie dropped by, telling that she also had heard the sound of bats in her unit. So we went to investigate. Luckily, there was only one sitting in the bathroom which we quickly set free. :thumbs_up:

We had actually wanted to spend the evening together but I didn’t feel too well, probably due to an allergic reaction to something :evil: and therefore we agreed with anne-marie that we would have sundowner and dinner together only the following night. :?

When we checked back on our pets later again, we could tell that there were still a few left but far from the amount we had released. Now it was time to relax again and watch the antics of a kori bustard who wouldn’t let the poor bokkies get anywhere near the waterhole. :slap:

Once we had settled after dinner to watch the waterhole it didn’t take long for our next leopard to arrive. Jacques came running with his mega spotlight but for some reason my camera didn’t want to play along when the leopard lifted its head. So all I got is a tail shot. :doh:

Yet, AstroMatt was able to ID her as Tsamma. Seeing that all I had to offer was a tail, I think his ID skills are just incredible :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

25/03/2013 – Urikaruus and Urikaruus to Twee respectively

We woke up to a bat doing its round in the bedroom. :tongue: But as it was only one, we weren’t too fussed and just opened the balcony door for it to get out. Which it did. :thumbs_up:

Today, Spots would have to go down to Twee to retrieve the exchange tyres. Seeing that I would have to have to spend quite some time in the camp there until everything was dealt with, I decided to take a time out at Uri and not to accompany him.

The morning started with yet another giant eagle owl. :dance:

Spots left around 7.30 am and I sat watching the doves.

And some hartebeests that looked a bit irritated with the dove action at the waterhole.

Video: http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=288qibt&s=6

The only way for me to get the lanner going after the doves is with a video:
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2gtu889&s=6

Also, some springboks called in.

And I had my one and only sighting of a Namaqua dove. :doh:

While I was sitting on the deck reading my book a bird flew into the tree right next to our unit. When I looked up I couldn’t make sense of it immediately as I had never seen it before. I didn’t have my camera ready and before I knew it the birdie had disappeared around the corner. :slap: So I went to the front of the unit to investigate if I had a chance to catch it there. I did – my first ever pearl spotted owlet. :dance:

I was happy as could be! :D :D :D

Also, the bully from yesterday returned.

And a lanner feeling really hot.

Otherwise there wasn’t much going on apart from Jacques coming and going between his cleaning duties to have some chats. He also fixed some holes in our unit after I had discovered that the bat community had grown again since last night. :twisted: He also told me that Willem had radioed him to let me know that Spots had left Kielie (he had to take up something from Twee to be dropped off at Kielie) and should be around soon. Well, Spots wasn’t arriving soon, which left me suspicious of what he might have seen on his trip. :evil: When he arrived, he said he wasn’t late because he had seen anything but because he had helped out a family who were stranded at Kamqua with a … flat tyre… :roll:

Yet I grabbed the camera the SO had taken with him and checked the photos. Well, this is what Spots saw at Monro:

I didn’t know whether to start pouting or not… A total of 6 lions together and the smallest cubs I would have get to watch ever so far… :mrgreen: But despite the slow day in the camp, I reasoned that my chances of seeing tiny lions cubs would probably be better than seeing a pearl-spotted owlet. :whistle: Plus, I hadn’t have to endure the ordeal at Twee. 8) Plus, I hadn’t have to sweat at Kamqua. 8) Plus – which I didn’t know back then, but which makes it even easier to get over it now – I would have one of the three bestest sightings to come later on the trip. :hmz:

Spots also saw an Egyptian goose just outside Twee:

A very common bird, but not in KTP. At least I would get to see some in flight a day later as well. :lol:

Tbc with the rest of the day. :think:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks Philip, Richard, anne-marie, Carol, Mel, Jeanni, hilda, vinkie, barryels, Trrp, Elsa and Timbits! :D

After the SO had had some breakfast around 2.30 pm he decided it was time for a nap. While he was out, I had a visit of some banana birds:

And three giraffes.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

As I had been caged in the camp for the whole day, I felt like needing to get out. :whistle: Not far, but out for a while so we headed towards Kamqua and sat at an empty waterhole when a huuuge herd of wildebeests came walking in a single file and took over the waterhole. Some funny behaviour was on show again. :lol:

Videos:

http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2hebpqv&s=6

http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=1zn748n&s=6

http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=11t6bns&s=6

http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=14aeqt1&s=6

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

On our return I quickly made it to the shower to avoid colliding with the bats in there. But they only watched from the roof and left me to my business. Later, Spots and I would do alternate checks on the little critters and evacuate another 12 in total. It was actually the last of the lot as we spend the rest of our stay completely on our own.

That evening we had dinner with Jacques and anne-marie. anne-marie arrived first and we enjoy a yummy first real sundowner together. :dance: Also, if you want to know what we saw that evening – go to nan’s report. I was way too busy to enjoy the evening to bother with the finer details and nan had managed to set up her camera that she was able just to snap away when something moved. :redface: We talked so much that I have long forgotten what topics were covered but I can tell you that we had a magnificent time that lasted way too long for Kalahari standards. :tongue: But it tells you just how great the company was. We had hardly departed from each other at around 11 pm, when the next leopard made his entrance:

His entrance, because once again AstroMatt did his utmost to get his one ID’ed as well and confirmed Dakotah. 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next