Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: TR 21 days - a few moments
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We recently had the privilege to visit the park for a total of 21 nights camping at Satara and Maroela ( we moved to Maroela as soon as it re-opened after the January floods).

To write a day to day account is possible, but would be a very boring read. Long gone are the days when my wife and I chased the big five :wink:

February temperatures can be very hot if the rain and/or cloud cover do not make an appearance. When the rain does arrive the change in animal behavior can be very special to watch. I must admit that I spent many hours just watching the Timbavati flow by in front of our caravan - not getting tired of doing just that and nothing else. I got to know who resides in which tree, who came down for a drink at what time and how regularly they do so.

Driving around Satara consisted of a daily morning trip on the S90 (old main road) up to the T-junction and then back again on the same road. Maroela driving limited to the H-7 tar road up to where it was closed at the Rabelais turn-off. Well, ok - we did take a drive to Nwanetsi picnic spot and returned via the famous golden highway (S-100) once and I just had to try and find the Sable bulls around Talamati one day (no such luck though). We do so by choice - been all over the park in years gone by and we do know what all the camps and picnic spots look like :twisted: Booriiiing :wink:

Share a few special moments in time with me - starting with the birdies..........

Having a bath with a friend of another species after the rain

Soaking up the late afternoon sun

We have a lift - off

Flying out the frame

Split second timing

Will share a few more sometime .

Post subject: Re: TR 21 days - a few moments
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Trrp-trrrrrrrr - I sometimes shared the same tree with one of your little friends at Satara :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Two small creatures - the Orpen area were covered with golden orb webs. Guess which one jumped onto the camera just after the shot.

This beautiful young lady took a liking to the tow bar plastic cover at the back of the Isuzu and I have proof in the form of tooth marks on the cover. I think this is the exact moment when she made up her mind to investigate.

Watched them for an hour or so before they joined the rest of their mates.

"I said, not now!"

More to follow..

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The page turned, so let's add a few

Free decorations can become rather pesky if they insist doing a facial.

I watched this guy and his friends for hours. One day a fellow camper drove away from the campsite with the electrical lead still connected to the vehicle - ripping the connection box apart. Their are seven of the jackal doing their rounds at the T-junction on the H-7 near Orpen. Two of the jackal started chasing the toy still dragging behind the vehicle. Another camper that we met managed to get two shots - unfortunately I did not.

Having a free drink provided from a leaking tap.

Very old guy having a drink from the flowing Timbavati.

Going nowhere slowly - hope it missed the speeding traffic. :(

Struggling up the bank.

Building a future together.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Time to finish this report

By the way, that hairy little creature is a jumping spider - about one centimeter in length (shot take with a hand-held macro lense)

Doggies - the well known Orpen/Rabelais pack - well hidden during the heat of the day - and then they go and cuddle up....

Let sleeping dogs lie

Bored with all the traffic

Tawny feasting on a snake - posted elsewhere to make sure about the ID

Baboons at sundown

I hope you enjoyed the few moments I shared - next time you visit Kruger, try to capture behavior instead of just taking a picture of an animal. Not so easy, but I learned so much.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]