Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ilytel & Others' Animal close calls, KNP and KTP, Oct. '13
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:13 pm 

On my trip into the KTP, we left out of Nossob and went north. We came up on the next man-made water hole in the dry riverbed. As we were watching the animals come up to the waterhole on that hot October day. We see 4 brown-spotted hyenas and after about 20 minutes of splashing around in the water they came over to where are vehicle was and started laying around the vehicle in the shade. One of the hyenas decided to check if we had food in the car and stuck its head into the vehicle and I found myself about 2 feet away from this animal. It was an awesome experience knowing that I was real close to one of natures top predators.

Has anybody else had any experiences like that while on safari down there ? I want to hear some of those stories.

Larry

Post subject: Re: animal close calls
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
One year when visiting Kruger we stopped at a sighting of a lot of baboon, one very big fierce looking one jumped onto the bonnet of our car, showed us a set of very large teeth thru the widescreen and the proceeded to break off our one windscreen wiper :doh: nothing we could do but wait until he had had his fun, he got off after what seemed like an hour :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:13 pm 

Hey Carol,

One of my customers at work told me a funny story like that, he said when he was visiting KNP he said he came up on some baboons that were in a tree so they were watching them and they had the windows down on the car. Next thing they see one of the baboons with an orange and they were thinking where did they get that orange. Looking around for orange trees and not seeing any. They looked in the back seat of the vehicle and here are the baboons stealing their food right out of the cooler.

Larry

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Oops Larry, that's a bit scary :big_eyes:

I forgot to say that when the baboon finally left, he took the windscreen wiper with him :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Many years ago, hubby and I were on holiday in Cape Town. We went on the Chapmans Peak drive. As it was around Christmas time, there was loads of traffic and everything had come to a standstill. We were surrounded by a troop of baboons. I was very unhappy about this as we were on our motorbike and I kept on expecting one of them to jump up behind me. I was hugely relieved once we had managed to work our way passed the baboons.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:29 pm 

there was another thing that happened on my trip, one of the people that was with me just happened to say, "I haven't seen any snakes on our trip". Me sitting in our driver side seat and our driver looking down the road as we were driving on safari just happened to see a snake. As we pull up, my driver stopped the car and I look out my window and here is a Cape Cobra looking the opposite direction of the vehicle and I am about 1 1/2 feet to 2 feet away from this snakes head. I was ready to roll up the window in a flash.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm 

good thing it was looking for food in the riverbed, he did slither to the embankment of the riverbed go up and started slithering into some rodent holes. It was very hot on my trip, I think temps were hitting 100F+. Good thing when I went down there I was living in Las Vegas at the time, so I was used to that kind of dry heat.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had sort of a close call on 5 Dec in KTP while watching 3 lions and following them along the road toward Nossob.

My window was still open when the male walk pass the car to follow the two female. The car was still in drive and some-how I panic and could not start the car to close the window. He just gave me a fierce look from 1 meter away and followed the ladies. Luckily they were mating and his interest was focus and the female ahead of us.

We followed them until Nossob were my SO had to open the gate while they walked to the water hole. Below is a webcam pic of the male.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 pm 

wow, only 1 meter away from the car...

the 5 other people I was with when I was down in Nossob had left early in the morning going south and heading to Mata Mata, we came up on 4 male lions on the embankment next to the road. I was trying to take some pics of the cats and the people I was with told me to roll up the window. We were about 10 feet or 3 meters. I asked the people I was with why do they want me to roll up the window and they said, "That lion could jump into the car". I told them, "If that lion wanted in the car that I didn't think my window would stop him."

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ilytel,

You must share some of your sightings with us. Hope you took some pics while you had the window down.

The KTP lions are another kind and love playing with cars. Some will in spec your tyres to see if you did deflate and other just check the mirror or the boot.

We had a male and female chasing us away near Lijersdraai. They walked passed us innocently and the next moment ran towards the car. When we drove off about 100 meter they stopped the chase and were much more pleasant when we returned.

Those hyaenas must have been a frightening experience. I once saw two teenagers in the back of a bakkie with a hyaena trying to open the canopy. The parents were unaware of what's happening. Wonder if those two boys had some food with them.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
llytel wrote:
On my trip into the KTP, we left out of Nossob and went north. We came up on the next man-made water hole in the dry riverbed. As we were watching the animals come up to the waterhole on that hot October day. We see 4 brown-spotted hyenas and after about 20 minutes of splashing around in the water they came over to where are vehicle was and started laying around the vehicle in the shade. One of the hyenas decided to check if we had food in the car and stuck its head into the vehicle and I found myself about 2 feet away from this animal. It was an awesome experience knowing that I was real close to one of natures top predators.

Has anybody else had any experiences like that while on safari down there ? I want to hear some of those stories.

Larry
llytel, how could Brown-spotted (!?!?!) Hyenas had the head stuck into the vehicule :hmz: :shock:

maybe is my bad English :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 am 

@ anne marie

We were sitting in the car with the windows down since it was really hot. When the hyenas came over to the vehicle one of them stood up on its back feet and put it's front legs up against the vehicle and stuck its face and head into the vehicle. I was watching him or her as their nose was twitching while they were smelling for food. Once they knew that there was nothing for them to eat then they got down and laid down next to the vehicle

Larry

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:03 am 

@ son godin

I have some pics on youtube, search for "Lions of Nossob" and my author of "llytel"

I know I have the lions and cape cobra on their, I don't remember if I got a pic of the hyena

Larry

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
llytel wrote:
@ anne marie

We were sitting in the car with the windows down since it was really hot. When the hyenas came over to the vehicle one of them stood up on its back feet and put it's front legs up against the vehicle and stuck its face and head into the vehicle. I was watching him or her as their nose was twitching while they were smelling for food. Once they knew that there was nothing for them to eat then they got down and laid down next to the vehicle

Larry

They can be very naughty with tyres and bumpers. My daughter was watching some youngsters when she became aware of something strange. It took a little while to realise that one was busy trying to make a meal of her back bumper.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
and what about Brown-spotted Hyena :hmz: :lol:
I think it was Spotted Hyenas... Brown Hyenas are not often seen all together :wink:

not the best to have the windows down (hot or not) with so strong jaw at 2 feets... 60 cm... :shock:
indeed it was a real face to face :whistle:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next