Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 4
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Virgin Visit to KTP.. I Wonder What Is Waiting For Me
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi M

Enjoying your trip report - great photos.

Your "Rufus vented something" bird is a familiar chat (spekvreter).

Looking for more to come.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you for the comments Elsa, Hilda, Pumbaa, Philip1, john n poppy, TobieO, anne marie and WillemK thank you for another ID on my birdie :D

I woke up feeling hot, but relaxed and ready for my drive to Unions End. click click and VVSG and SO drove to Unions End in the morning and reported back that the water hole was dry, I still decided to drive up to see what its like. I had bought a map at TR shop, but it was so big and bulky and I could not find my place of where I was :redface: so I decided to just drive until I saw Unions End :D

As there are only 4 units at GK and no other camp after that it means that only the people staying in the camp could still be driving on the road at 4pm and I found myself with no other souls around enjoying the road :D

On the way and still very hot, this mongoose was trying to find a cool place in the sand

IMG_0882 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

At Geinab wh the ground squirrels were very inquisitive and looking at me as if I was intruding :shock:

IMG_0873 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and then carried on with their business as usual

IMG_0869 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I arrived at the water hole, had a look around and did not see anything moving and satisfied that I have seen Unions End I made a u turn and started the drive back to camp :(

I did not understand what all the fuss was about seeing Unions End, just another water hole :redface: :redface:

On the way back close to Kannaguase this BBJ was sitting in the long grass not sure what I was :wink:

IMG_0875 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I arrived back in time for the fire and ready with camera to try and capture those Brown Hyenas coming around, but before that a magical sunset.

IMG_0893 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_0891 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and while sitting watching the fire this tree mouse came out for a nibble.

IMG_0895 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

The Brown Hyenas came around but we were not able to take pics as it was just too dark and too far and not enough light and I only got some blurry pics :evil:

It was while we were sitting around chatting about the day that VVSG mentioned they took a little road that was open and they had no idea where it was leading to, but enjoyed driving it and eventually turned around. Click click asked if anyone wrote in the book at Unions End? :shock: :roll: :hmz: What book?? I did not see any book, only a dry water hole :| And so it turned out that I never went to Unions End :x :redface: apparently the road still carries on after the water hole?? I felt like an idiot and there and then click click gave me a map with only the road of KTP on it and I was sure to know where I was and where I was going from then on :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

thank you all for the comments and Im glad you had a giggle about me not finding Unions End :redface: Gates close as per the permit, you have to hand in your permit at the attendant when you arrive and when you go out, they note down where you going or which way. With me not knowing where I was the usual reply was Im either driving up the road or down the road :redface: They understood and wrote down either North or South :lol: I was happy as at least which direction I was going :roll: :D

So after my embarrassing moment I decided that I want to drive up to Unions End as we were going to Nossob for 2 nights and it was not too far away, but "things" got in the way and I never made it there. I HAVE to go back and at least see Unions End :D

I woke up while click click was getting ready. I boiled the water on the little gas stove and made my tea and settled down to enjoy the view. I spend the whole previous morning at camp and I knew every bump and dune and stone in my view, but I got confused when I saw a stump I did not realize or see the previous day. Bad eyesight without my glasses, could not remember where I packed them, and I had to call in the help of click click. Hey, can you see that bump over there??? She took out her binocs and low and behold the lions were visiting us :D :D

IMG_0909 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Just then a Brown Hyena coming to the WH, this is my one and only pic of this !!!
IMG_0934 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

The lion was not having any predators around and charged the hyena...

IMG_0941 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Unfortunately I missed the hyena running off, but by now my tea was cold, the lions walking off and waiting for prey to arrive somewhere over the hill and with that I never made it to Unions End :roll:

Thought I was going to help VVSG to load the freezer, but by the time I got there with the lions interfering it was too late, it was loaded already :roll:

I left camp at 8:30 and took a slow drive to Nossob. Nothing much on the way and I wanted to get to Nossob as I had no ice left. I put my 2 small coolerboxes in the freezer overnight and had some very cold water and in one some frozen beer :D it will work for the day but not for the evening.

Nothing much on the way and at Kwang a jackal lazying in the shade.
IMG_1012 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and my first warthogs for the trip, they are not as common in KTP as Kruger, so nice to see them although they scrawny..
IMG_1023 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1016 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

then at Cubit Quap where TobieO took his amazing pics of the jackals hunting, I only got the birds, but really enjoyed taking the pics

IMG_1033 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1042 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgoddard2007/8600016892/]

Image[/url]
IMG_1083 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and another lazy jackal waiting for a quick easy meal. I parked in a very nice shady tree watching all happening, little did I know that was the last time I would park in the shade :roll: :roll:
IMG_1092 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So I arrived at Nossob and went to reception to check in. Got the unit number and VVSG and SO were there already, but before I got to my car a very nice attendant came walking towards me and said, I think you have a flat? What?? What flat i asked, I could not remember owning a flat, a bush house and a townhouse yes, but no flat?? :redface: :shock:

He pointed towards my tyre :redface: oh man..the car was loaded and I asked to drive up to the unit, unload and come back to sort it out. Very nice guys and in no time it was sorted, a thorn in the tyre. I tried to think back about roads and shade and realized I parked under a thorn tree at Cubit Quap. Will not do again. They fixed the tyre and it was all ready to go!

Got to the shop when they opened and NO ICE :evil: :shock: It was a big disaster, but we tried to improvise and with the freezer VVSG had he could try and cool some drinks for themselves and I could put some Hansa in the bungalow freezer so I would at least have an Ice Cold Beer with my braai :wink:

I relaxed the afternoon with my good friends VVSG and SO on the verandah, click click was still out, we had a good braai, after offloading the freezer and before long I was fast asleep. :D

The next morning I decided to drive the loop of Marie se draai. I left just before VVSG and long after click click and was really shocked by the first part of the road, very corrugated, or was it my mind playing games about my flat tyre the day before :cry:

I found this what I think is a Lanner Falcon, but maybe something else warming up in a tree.

IMG_1098 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Nothing much happening at the water hole so I carried on. Saw a Goshawk flying up from the ground and landing close to me in a tree. On closer inspection I can now see it caught a snake.

IMG_1111 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I did not see much else and decided to go to Cubit Quap again and maybe drive up the road as I would drive down towards TR the next day.

I saw Tobie there, but I did not see much jackal interaction, just the lanner falcon coming diving down to try and catch a bird.

The sandgrouses were coming, walking for a drink, maybe they learned not to fly into the water to distract the falcon :|

IMG_1121 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I did manage a pic of the falcon making a turn to swoop down onto the water hole.

IMG_1129 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Someone came from the front and told me about a male lion at Kwang, so I left but on the way there found this Bateleur feeding on what looked like a dead jackal

IMG_1115 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I arrived at Kwang and a few cars with click click in the front, we met up and she told me she had been sitting with the lion for about 6 hrs. The water hole was so close so we all waiting for it to wake up and go and drink. That would make a great pic. I got a spot and as I was in position it woke up. gave me a look or two...

IMG_1228 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1230 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and flopped down to sleep again :?

I decided to return to camp and went to the hide..

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
wow nice Lanner Falcon... ready to catch....
the Goshawk is a Pale Chanting Goshawk (PCG) and the Sangrouses, Namaqua Sandgrouse :clap: :clap: :clap:

what a magnificent specimen of Lion... a black maner :clap: :clap: :clap:

In Kgalagadi, there is 2 golden rules... often no ice, and often too, no petrol :lol: so, fill up each time you can :wink:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks again for the replies Pumbaa, MM, john n poppy, lion queen, shane, Chappies and Philip1

anne marie, thanks for the names to the birdies :D and the info about ice and petrol. Ice was a big problem for us, I will explain.

Bushbuddies I have only seen good looking, fat and HUGE lions in KTP, more pics to follow :D

RichardJ as I was reading before I left I read that credit cards were not accepted for petrol and as I dont have a South African garage card or whatever its called. Cash was the way for me. It worked every time :D

Lionspoon, first of all click click does not have any coffee or tea and very limited alcohol intake, her diet during the day consists of eating ice and other "lekker" nice things. Unfortunately as Nossob had no ice the day before she was in for a bit of a shock with no cold things in her car and therefor was sweating out anything that was related to the loo :D :shock: :roll: And that is why she gave me a spot to take pics of the male lion waking up as i offered her some ice!!! The first she had in more than 8 hrs!!!

For me.......as I have always said, and Im not shy to admit. When nature calls I will always find a tree or a secluded area and will NEVER leave my tissue behind :wink:

Peregrine Falcon I will never forget my first YR I met in Kruger :D so glad that you enjoyed your first trip to KTP and you are planning to go back :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Before I carry on i forgot to mention that on my way back from Marie se Draai to Nossob the Ice truck passed me. :dance: :dance: So I stopped and bought some, but was told by the lady behind the counter that they have decided to put a limit on the number of bags you can buy. Only 4 per customer :( I immediately bought my 4 bags and asked her if she had seen me today?? She looked at me a bit funny as I was still standing infront of her :D They are all Afrikaans and have such a sense of humor and eventually understood what I was saying and with that smile and my jokes the deal was sealed. I bought another 2 bags :D I also asked her what time her shift ends and she told me only when the shop closes :cry: Ok I said, so that means I cant come back again for ice :shock: She said NO, I already dont know you and have not seen you today! :lol: That is how I could offer a bit of ice to click click

I arrived back at Nossob and went to the hide for a while. Very quiet apart from this Bateleur sitting at the waterhole and then the Gymnogene arrived.

IMG_1248 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1269 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I went back to the bungalow and had a very nice relaxing evening with VVSG and SO and click click prepared our potato dish to have with our meat, VVSG's SO made a nice salad and we relaxed around the fire while click click and TobieO were at the hide.

It was a great, but very funny evening. We did not know what was happening at the hide, but all of a sudden a lion let out a BIG roar and like a flash you could see ppl with torches running to the hide :lol: we were just sitting and watching the spectacle :lol:

Click click told us later that the lions were there and Im sure she got some great pics, but by the time the lion roared they were over the dune already :lol:

Before long we could see some lightning very far away and it was great to see and then the thunder started. I loved it. Having not seen a thunderstorm for sooo long as we only get about 50mm of rain here in Doha and very rarely a thunderstorm I just enjoyed and did not care or want to know what was at the hide. This is what I was hoping for and I was thrilled to experience it. :D

We eventually went to bed and with that all the windows were open to hear the sounds, to see the lightning etc and VVSG and SO had the bedroom with the windows facing the storm. All of a sudden it started to rain, pelting down and I put my head out the window to feel the rain :D What a mistake, the rain lasted maybe a minute or 2 and with that the wind came and then we were covered in sand. VVSG and SO more than us as they were right in the path of it and we on the side :shock: Still a nice experience and I felt sorry for all their belongings covered in sand :( Nevermind them :D

It was time to go to sleep as the next day was an important day. The drive to TR and then the wedding of my good friends VVSG and SO and we had to be there by 4pm!! Strict instructions from the dominee (pastor, priest for those who do not know the meaning of dominee

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was just catching up, awesome TR so far, great pics and loads of memories to treasure!

Here are some more (mostly cellphone) pics of our trip up to now :wink:

Our first evening in Twee Rivieren

AN_20130309_14351 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Union's end which Martie never saw :roll:

AN_20130311_03741 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Delicious brunch at Grootkolk prepared by VVSG :clap:

AN_20130311_04368 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Braai at Grootkolk communal area, with potbrood baked in the coals and garlic in foil, pap & sauce

AN_20130311_04381 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Grootkolk sunrise

AN_20130311_14367 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Grootkolk panorama towards waterhole

AN_20130311_14415 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

A wider look at the communal area at Grootkolk

AN_20130311_14424 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

A sad goodbye, looking back at Grootkolk until next time

AN_20130311_14433 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Hello Nossob!

AN_20130312_14470 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Our braai in Nossob

AN_20130313_14492 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

16-19 May 2013: Sand River Bush Camp, KNP
22-25 June 2013: Talamati Bush Camp, KNP

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We left Nossob early and started the way back to TR . We discussed the previous evening to take the road over the dunes back from Dikbaardskolk and join up with the road from TR to Urikaruus. Sightings this morning was slow apart from the usual animals not much exciting happening.

At Kaspersdraai this Oryx wanted to come and drink while the Secretary bird was occupying the water hole.

IMG_1346 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and at one of the water holes on the dune road this one trying to find its footing.

IMG_1333 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I could see from driving that the dunes started drying out at the top with the bottom parts still a bit wet, some puddles in the road showed they had more than a minutes rain the previous evening.

_MG_5863 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

And some far away Ostriches at one of the water holes. Sorry I cant remember at which water holes I took these pics, but know it was on the dune road. :redface:

_MG_5869 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

We had a quick stop at Kamqua and carried on. At this rate we would arrive early at TR and would have more than enough time for all to shower and get ready :D

Between Monro and Houmoed our first cheetahs, far away, lying or sitting in the shade of a tree, but at least we found the cheetahs. :D

IMG_1340 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

We arrived at TR and after unpacking and having an Ice cold one it was time for me to go and find Jannie and see the preparations for the wedding was in order. I was pleasantly surprised or must i say overwhelmed by what they had done. The venue was a corner table in the restaurant and now I dont want to get the name wrong, but I think Elizabeth was her name, she works with the Police service at TR had done an outstanding job with the decorations. You could feel the vibe from the staff, after all this was the first time ever they had a wedding at TR or in KTP. Jannie I can never thank you enough for your cooperation, your dedication and your utter willingness to help me with this :clap: :clap: All of you deserve a standing ovation :clap: :clap:

I know that ones click click post the pics you will all agree with me that this was 5* organizing !

So it was time. VVSG and SO look ever so smart in their "wedding clothes" which was smart, casual yet elegant. We all put on our dresses and shorts and tshirts would not fit in with what the KTP ppl had done. Scouter was the official photographer for Sanparks and click click the personal photographer for the couple and Me?? I was the guest of honor :D :dance:

The dominee arrived with his whole "kerkraad" church council and choir, which consisted of about 15 ladies. VVSG was standing chatting to the dominee and he was asking him where he would like them to sit. A table was in the corner with 2 chairs behind and the table was decorated with such beautiful articles from the Kalahari, a sign behind with such a great poem and I think VVSG was not sure if he wanted them to sit behind or stand infront. The dominee waved his had across the restaurant and told him "You can take a seat anywhere you like in the restaurant" VVSG looked at him a bit confused and then we realize the dominee did not know that he was marrying VVSG and SO :wink: :shock:

I wish anybody had taken a picture of the dominee's face when VVSG told him he is getting married :lol: The first words he uttered in Afrikaans was "Magtig, ek het nie geweet ek trou witmense vandag nie?" Translated something like, Oh my word, I did not know Im going to marry white people today? :roll: :D He subsequently during the service mentioned what a privilege it was for him and his church council to be standing at TR and be part of marrying the "white" couple :lol:

The choir started singing and before long the ceremony was completed and my very good friends were husband and wife AGAIN :clap: :dance: :D

The open vehicle was waiting outside complete with white ribbon and a Happily Married Again Sign on the back and we were off to the dunes for the outdoor wedding pics. I wish you could also see the peoples faces when they saw the "wedding vehicle" leaving TR and when we were coming back. What a sight it was!!

We arrived back at the restaurant where some of the forumites who were attending the cricket was waiting for the wedding couple to arrive back and we all had a glass of sparkling wine and drank a toast on them. I thank all those who made the effort to welcome then back and toasted to a long and happy marriage from here on :D :dance:

And with that I came to the end of my first part of this TR, the next 3 days were spend at the cricket which was even more fun and I will never forget the experience. Now I will leave this page and ask click click to kick in with her pictures.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Eish, couldn't you have told me about VVSG and SO when we met at Kamqua :redface:

Well, belated congratulations on your wedding-again, VVSG and SO!!! :gflower:

Martie, your Kasperdraai waterhole is Monro (I think, I'm just sure it's not Kaspers)
and the dune waterhole must be Kamqua as it seems there is the road along the Aoub in the background. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

THE WEDDING PICS :dance:

AN_20130314_06676 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Some of the decorations

AN_20130314_06681 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

sharing a funny moment with the pastor

AN_20130314_06696 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

on the game drive truck on our way to take some pics in the dunes

AN_20130314_06751 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

AN_20130314_06774 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

AN_20130314_06789 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

AN_20130314_06798 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

AN_20130314_06825 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

AN_20130314_06832 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The lion I sat with for 6 hours :wall: across the road from Kwang waterhole

This is all I could see when I found him

AN_20130313_04824 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

I decided to wait for him to move to get a better view of him and the next moment this brownie came for a drink at the waterhole

AN_20130313_04840 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

The lion did move to a tree closer to the road while I went to the waterhole to watch the brownie, so I went back and waited again... I realized that he might not get up soon when he relieved himself without moving… :whistle:

AN_20130313_05493 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

The famous lion pose

AN_20130313_05491 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

It was very hot in the car but I knew it’s going to be hot at camp as well as there’s no aircon at Nossob, so why not stay with the lion for just a little while longer? It didn’t feel like 6 hours! Time sure flies when you are having fun.

Here’s a few more of the 100’s of pics I took of him, this was a huge lion!

AN_20130313_05403 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

AN_20130313_05657 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

AN_20130313_05574 by Annette Naude, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
long life to the new married :gflower:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you click click and anne marie for posting some wonderful pics of the wedding and the couple :D

click click the lion was huge, I know as I saw it, but then all the lions we saw in KTP were huge and all in such good condition. :D
and the pic of the Brown Hyena :D :D

All others commenting, thank you so much.

After we arrived back it was time for the forum (cricket) bring and braai and get togeher. It was great to meet so many faces I have only seen via the internet and also to catch up with those whom I have met before. It was a great evening and I had a bit of fun as well.

I was ready to leave early for the cricket as the program said we will meet at 6:30, but sitting outside sipping my tea and watching the sun rise my eyes surveying the area I though my car looked a bit stange, almost hanging to one side. Oh NO :roll: :cry: :evil: I had another flat tyre! It was right down onto the ground and there was no ways I would be able to drive it to the garage. I took a quick walk and before long I had 2 very helpful attendants that came to help and change it and I went off to the workshop to hand this one in to be fixed. That was it! I will not drive underneath any tree, I will not drive to any outlook as I then realized the car had low profile tyres and was not made for travelling in the Kalahari. I was ready to explode as the rental company knew I was going to KTP :evil:

I arrived very late for the cricket and saw only part of the ladies games and could only help Hugh a little bit with the silent auction table, but had a very nice enjoyable day chatting to people and enjoying great food, fun and laughter. This was the scene set for the cricket days and I packed away my cameras and decided to just enjoy it. Afterall that is why I came to KTP - For the Cricket :D

It was time for the forum mens team and my good friend VVSG was ready to play, not long after the came started he tried and almost succeeded in taking a great catch, but unfortunatley missed and landed very hard on the kalahari sand. Sportman as he is, he got up after a few sips of much needed water and continued playing and even took 3 wickets :D , but coming off the field after the game, Oh my, he was in a very bad shape, he could hardly move and as the day progressed the pain got even worse and by nightfall, VVSG was flat on his back in bed with his bride seeing to all his needs. :wink: :lol: RichardJ kindly offered to braai their meat and I took it back to them at the unit. This was a real blow as now the honeymoon was shortened AND our strong man lifting and offloading the freezer had some cracked ribs and we had to use a bit more strength and a bit more muscle to help with the freezer for the next few days. :wink: :roll:

Alot has been said and commented on for the cricket and all I can say is that is was a magical experience and Im very grateful that I went. With that the end of the cricket and time to get on with the rest of my report.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mgoddard wrote:
Thank you click click and anne marie for posting some wonderful pics of the wedding and the couple

click click the lion was huge, I know as I saw it, but then all the lions we saw in KTP were huge and all in such good condition.
and the pic of the Brown Hyena

It was a pleasure to be part of the wedding and take the pics, thank you for all your organising to make it special and an unforgettable day :dance:
The lion was so special and the brown hyena was a very unexpected bonus :clap:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next