Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 7
 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger: from south-to-north-and-back
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
From Olifants camp we did a circle route down the H1-4, S127, S39 including Ratelpan hide and then back on the S91 and S92 to camp.

On the Olifants river bridge, we got this beautiful pose from a Yellow-billed kite.

Tawny eagle also made his presence felt along the H1-4.

I tried to capture the Red-billed oxpecker with this beautiful beasty background.

Back on the S91, a special Impala moment - mom with little one and some oxpeckers...

Then we stopped on the low water bridge near Balule and this White-headed vulture was interested in something else.

Just next to the S92 we spotted a Wahlberg's eagle and then it flew away, but managed to get an action shot.

I will share some pics of our ellie and buff sightings at Ratelpan hide in the next post....to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Whist staying at Olifants camp, we made 2 trips to Ratelpan hide and back via the S39, and that was because we enjoyed some great sightings the morning amongst some lions with cubs on the S39 - about 7km from the tar road. As they were unfortunately hidden under some bushes and the visibility about 1/5, we returned the afternoon with the hope to see if we can spot them, but we were fortunate with some buffs at Ratelpan hide and spotted a lion at Ngotso north under a bush.

Before we got to Ratelpan hide the morning, we first did a stop at the Timbavati picnic spot and everyone that travelled this road before, would have seen this beautiful baobab.

The Ratelpan hide remains a special place for me as I recalled my first visit to Kruger in May 2009, the first time that I saw a Saddle-billed stork and it was one of the special moments for during that trip.

We were in for a treat at Ratelpan hide - herd of buffalo was passing through and then they moved across the road just behind the hide as one travels towards the picnic spot. For more pics, refer to page 9 of this TR.

It is always so interesting to notice the way the buffs all come to a stand still and then looking at you intensely....whilst the cameras click away...just wonder what they must be thinking :hmz:

During our late afternoon visit to the hide, some more action awaited - a herd of elephant was making their presence felt.

The S39 did not disappoint us, as we enjoyed some great sightings - a hippo making a U-turn before it got too close to the croc.

A beautiful Bateleur.

..and a tailless monitor making his way through the grass.

The next day, we said good bye to our two friends whilst they went south and we north towards Shingwedzi for our first visit to this camp. Next up some experiences from Shingwedzi....to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Our first visit to Shingwedzi was a most memorable one where we stayed for 2 nights. We travelled via the S50 which was extremely quiet arriving late afternoon at Shingwedzi. Tired after a long drive from Olifants camp on a very hot day, SO and our little girl went to cool off in the swimming bath while I took a power nap and clean-up some photos to make more space available on the memory card - I guess you all know the drill as the cards fill up quickly, even if you are not shooting in raw.

Later SO and my girl returned very exited. While they were in the pool, my girl looked behind her staring a large elephant in the eye and got quite a fright. He was very close to the fence - the swimming pool water must have been extremely inviting on this hot day.

Early the next morning we got this beautiful sunrise from the bridge over the dry Shingwedzi river.

The S50 river road presented some great sightings, but the one moment worth highlighting was the crocodile feast in a pool just before the Kanniedood hide. A number of crocodiles were catching fish in this pool. I had posted some pics already on page 27 of this TR, but here are some more pics.

On the other side of the river, I noticed, what appeared to be a Green-backed heron.

Later the morning we did the Red Rocks circle route with some great sightings. The first one was this buffalo that was standing motionless in a pool in the river. At first we wondered if he got stuck in the mud perhaps, but after a while, we noticed that he was ok and moved around a bit - guess he was enjoying the cool water on the hot day.

Some European bee-eater around...

This anthill was an interesting one...

At Red Rocks there are some beautiful scenic viewpoints.

The afternoon we did a trip via the Mphongolo loop towards Babalala. The river road was relatively quite with general game around, but were rewarded with our first roan sighting at the waterhole near Babalala.

The next day we headed to Punda Maria on a rainy day, but this also presented us with great moments which I will share next....to be continued

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
It is a rainy day and we were heading to Punda Maria for 2 nights stay. About halfway to Babalala picnic spot we approached a large herd of buffalo crossing the road. It was interesting that they were all trying to cross the road at the same spot. As they reached the tar road, they ran nervously across skidding on the wet and muddy tarmac.

The beautiful large tree in the middle of the Babalala picnic spot always attracts my attention.

There were no roan antelope around and we realised how fortunate we were seeing them the previous day. From Babalala we travelled via the S58 - Dzundwini loop to Punda Maria where enjoyed some great sightings such as this Sharpes grysbok also made his presence felt.

Then we spotted a Brown-headed parrot enjoying some fruit in the bush.

Later the afternoon we got a nice elephant sighting while having a nice mud bath in one of the water pools next to the H1-3.

Then a lovely Steenbok.

The Mahonie loop was special with lots of flowers and together with the great scenery and trees, we enjoyed some special sightings....to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
I want to highlight that I try not to post pics that I posted earlier on this TR and also not repeat a lot of the same animals or birds, but only those which I thing might be interesting or add to the experience.

We arrived at Punda Maria around midday and was helped by very friendly staff at the reception. We just love the layout and architecture of the units which makes Punda Maria a very unique camp.

After we settled in, enjoyed a toasted sandwich at the restaurant, we were on our way to explore the Mahonie loop. There was a slight drizzle, but it added to the beauty of the area. Here are some flowers we enjoyed along the road.

Nyalas enjoying some tasty leave

Just love the majestic Baobabs along this loop

While the rain was coming down, the trrrrr-rrrr of the Woodlands kingfisher attracted our attention.

The next day we did the Mahonie loop again and besides the animals already shared, we enjoyed these two:
Common duiker

and while following a herd of elephants, this youngster was running with tail in the air...a comical moment.

We were quite excited about the next day as it would be our first to Pafuri...to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Early the next morning we set off to explore the Pafuri area, firstly driving down a quiet S60, then Klopperfontein where nothing was happing, then the H1-8 tar road passed Baobab hill and then right onto the S63 towards the border post where it was also fairly quiet compared to Dec'12 when it was chaos.

Along the road towards Crookes Corner, this baboon was entertaining us with his tree climbing skills.

One of the beautiful things to admire at Crookes Corner is this this beautiful fever tree. I wonder if it is still there after the flood :hmz: .

Some birds we enjoyed seeing along the road towards the picnic spot where I also got to meet Frank Mabaso for the first time. Here is a White-fronted bee-eater.

This tree was also an interesting feature along the road.

Some of the colourful nyalas grazing on the side of the road.

Red-backed shrike

This impala posed for us with some Red-billed oxpeckers doing their grooming thing

We slowly returned to Punda Maria after visited the Luvuvhu river bridge - I already posted some pics of how the area looked like in Dec'11 compared to Dec'12 earlier in the TR.

It was a full day and arrived back late at the camp. While busy braaing, I got a sms from our 2 friends that went in a southern direction after parted at Olifants camp telling us of their amazing wild dogs sighting at Crocodile bridge while they were on their way out. As we never had seen wild dogs in Kruger, we decided that we must add another day to our trip and fortunately Satara got a bungalow available, so we booked it. We also changed our flight ticket dates and what an amazing experience awaited us - but that later in the TR.

The next morning we left the camp early hoping to see some wild dogs at Babalala as we were told by the rangers at the picnic spot that they normally come there very early. As we drove down the H13-1 we saw something in lying in the road and as we approached it slowly, we saw it was a lion - very excited, I managed to get the camera, but it disappeared into the bushes. However, I managed to get this pic of it, though.

Arriving at Babalala - no doggies, unfortunately and also no Roan. But we took a slow drive to Letaba camp for a 1 night stay....coming up next, some sightings from Letaba...to be continued

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
After we had our unexpected lion sighting, we were all wide awake whilst enjoying the long road to Letaba.
Just before booked in at Letaba camp, we pad the Matambeni hide a visit.

Just after the bridge, this monitor was lying motionless on the curb of the road.

Some hippos were making their way across the sandbank in the Letaba river.

From the camp, we enjoyed the view over the Letaba river with waterbuck and ellies.

After we had rested a bit after the long drive, we did a short late afternoon drive along the H9. We spotted some cars which means one thing....lions. They were sleeping behind some bushes and visibility not good, but managed to get this shot when one of them looked up...

Early the next morning, we were on our way to Satara. Near Olifants we spotted this hyena sleeping next to the road, but something was attracting his attention...

Not far from the hyena, we got this rare sighting of a spitting Mozambican cobra crossing the road....

Satara did not disappoint us as we managed to get our first ever sighting of the allusive ones....so our decision to extend our stay with another day was a most rewarding one....to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
We were heading to Satara, where we stayed for only one night before heading home. After the morning's great sightings as we drove from Letaba, we arrived early at Satara and enjoyed something to eat at the restautant and took the car for a proper wash. Then we did a circle route via H6 towards the Sweni hide and back via the S100 to the camp.

On the H6 we enjoyed these zebras playing.

It was fairly quiet at Sweni hide, only the Goliath heron who was interested in the bubbles on the water.

The S41 gravel road was extremely corrugated and we did not enjoy driving it at all, but did enjoy the giraffe with little one.

On the S100, while watching a herd of elephants, this Red-breasted swallow was trying to get our attention.

Back on the Hh1-4 tar road a kudu was showing off his beautiful horns.

It was time to settle in at our bungalow where we had a visitor.

The late afternoon, we did our last drive on the H7 towards Orpen gate where we turned right onto the S39.
Near Nsemani dam, a beautiful Fish eagle was posing on a tree.

I mentioned earlier in the TR that we extended our trip by a day while in Punda Maria after we received a sms from our friends about their wild dogs sighting near Crocodile bridge. Well, we were hoping to see our first ever wild dog sighting. About 2 km from the tar road on the S39 we saw a Bakkie next to the road flashing lights as we approached it slowly. Then in became clear why - our first wild dog sigthing - WOW :dance: . They were lying in the grass next to the road.

As it was close to gate closing time, we had to return to camp which we did with a feeling of accomplishment - our first wild dog sighting ever. We managed to reach the gate just in time before closing.

The next day we were flying back to Cape Town, but as our flight was only at 17h00, we still had the whole morning to enjoy in Kruger. We did this by driving down to Skukuza and then a good bye visit to Lake Panic and then leaving Kruger at Malelane gate...Some great last day sightings with another first for us and a good by present by Kruger to us...to be continued

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
It is the morning of our last day in Kruger as we got about 6 plus hours left in the park before exiting on our way to OR Tambo. We left Satara shortly after gate opening as we wanted to enjoy every minute of what was left. We travelled down the H1-3 tar road towards Skukuza where we noticed a Brown snake eagle in a tree collecting some material for the nest.

As we still wanted to see some Sable, we headed down the S33 and at the Tinhongana waterhole, this dirty looking Saddle billed stork was on a mission.

We also noticed this foam stuff - I guess it contains eggs of the frogs :hmz:

We drove slowly down the S36, but no Sable... :wall: Guess, we had to come back again...

On our way, we had a challenge with some rhinos sleeping close to the side of the road, but we managed to pass them without disturbing them too much.

At the H1-2 and H4-1 intersection, some monkey business...

We stopped at Skukuza for breakfast where we said good bye to the bats near the restaurant.

Having reached Skukuza, we realised we were having a problem. I did not fill the car with petrol at Satara as the plan was to do it at Skukuza. Arriving at Skukuza, we were told that there was no petrol caused by the strikes. Fortunately, we still had petrol for about 140 km and as the distance to Malelane is 60+ km, we guess we were ok. Now I was worried and hoping there is petrol available in the town of Malelane. We were still in Kruger and there was nothing we could do, but just to enjoy the last few hours, so we headed to Lake Panic for a good bye visit and enjoyed some great moments which I will share later.

From Lake Panic we took the H1-1 towards Malelane, then we got this beautiful sighting - leopard in the tree, next to the road.

We were told that there were lions off the S114, so we headed that way, but could not find any lions, so we travelled down the S114 towards Malelane. For some reason, I took the H5 turnoff and found ourselves on our way to Mpondo dam. The petrol gauge was dropping too fast for my liking, but we continued. It was also on this road, close to the Mpondo dam turn-off (S102) during our first visit to Kruger in May 2009 that we enjoyed the cheetah with 6 cubs in the road. We stopped at Mpondo dam where I got my first Open-billed stork sighting :dance: . I was very excited and glad that I took the wrong turn off.

The time was passing by too fast for our liking and the petrol gauge getting worryingly low. So, without wasting any more time at sightings, we headed straight for the Malelane gate and then stopped at the first garage in town. To our relief, they had petrol for us and we managed to reach OR Tambo in time for our flight back to Cape Town. Now we were exhausted with all this adrenalin rush and emotions. But as, the aeroplane took off, we were thinking about our next trip....and the next trip started on page 1 of this TR. :thumbs_up:

...but, before we finish off, we need to share some Lake Panic sightings. I loaded some images on the Lake Panic sightings thread already, but it will be good to also share them in this TR....to be continued - Lake Panic coming up. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
With our Dec'11 trip, we entered Kruger at Phalaborwa gate where we stayed our first night at Sable hide and then travelled to the north and then made our way down to the central region. Our last day w exited the park via Malelane gate, but we had to stop and spend some time at Lake Panic where we had some excellent sightings late morning.

Upon entering the hide, one of the first things we spotted were some Fish eagles sitting on a tree. They were entertaining us with their beautiful and unique calls.

But while they were watching the lake from above, this Goliath heron was catching some fish to feed her hungry twins.

The feeding was not that successful as the fish fell on the ground.

...and the opportunistic Fish eagle tried to make a steal.

But the mother did not 'panic' and stood her ground by fending off the Fish eagle.

It was wonderful to watch this event playing off during our short visit to Lake Panic.
The Pied kingfishers also entertained us with their acrobatic display which will be shared in the next posting... to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Another series of events unfolded at Lake Panic after watching the Goliath herons. It was the acrobat of the Lake...the Pied kingfisher setting up a display for us how to catch a fish - I guess he was showing off right in front of the hide with all the cameras clicking away.

We managed to get bot fish hunters in one frame, but who is the real 'king' :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: - the Fish eagle or the Kingfisher.

After the Pied kingfisher gave us this beautiful display, we enjoyed our last few minutes watching the other Lake Panic residents...to be continued :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
During our short visit to Lake Panic in Dec'11 after being entertained by the Goliath heron feeding the chicks and challenge by the Fish eagle and the fish catching display by the Pied kingfisher, we managed to capture a few other birdies.

Black crake with youngster looking for food

Colourful Jacanas always enjoyable to watch and always present. Image

White-faced duck checking things out.

The ever-present Grey herons.

By this time we were watching the time and had to make a call to go, as we got a flight to catch. And on this note, have experienced some great moments at Lake Panic, we headed towards Malelane and then off to OR Tambo.

But, before I end this thread, one last experience worth sharing- a Bush Walk at Lower Sabie from our Sep'10 trip...

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
During our Sep'10 trip to Kruger, actually our 2nd trip ever to Kruger, we stayed for the first time at Lower Sabie. Friends of us visited Lower Sabie earlier that year - as they were returning from a bush walk with Martie when they found that lions went into Lower Sabie camp. I guess the one lion got shot due to him getting aggressive.

My friends then inspired us to do a bush walk when at Lower Sabie, so we did. Early morning SO and myself reported at the Guide's quarters where we were introduced to Irvin and his assistant (forgive for forgetting his name, but a friendly guy - not as naughty as Irvin though). It was just SO and myself, so we headed north on the H10 and as the sun was sticking its head out, we turn right onto the S29 in the direction of Mlondozi.

A few meters down the S29, we stopped and got an amazing sighting just right next to the road. Two cheetahs lying on the ground. The one got up as nature called and had to do some 'business'

Then some stretching against a tree.

The other one was still relaxing and gave a friendly look as if he was posing for us.

We stayed with them for quite while, when Martie arrived with the truck as she was doing the sunrise drive after Irvin notified her of the sighting.

After a while, we decided it was time to move on and get into the bush. What a great and adrenalin filled experience...to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
After a great start to the morning, we stopped near spruit where we started our bush walk. It is one thing to drive in a car or get out at a viewpoint or hide, but something completely different to be in the bush on foot - adrenalin lekker stuff!!!

The four of set off and after a km or two, Irvin spotted an elephant approaching, so we had to hide behind a bush. The key is that the animals must not know that we are there and we are mere observers, so need to respect their space at all times. I was carrying my new telephoto lens - heavy Sigma 500mm on my Canon 400D. I was concerned that will become extremely heavy after a while in the bush, but it did not cause me any problems, hence could enjoy the walk.

We waited for the elephant to come closer...

Then we moved off towards the spruit and bush where this long neck became suspicious of our presence in his territory. So, as one need to approach a giraffe, not to walk straight at him, but do some at an angle by walking around him so one can get closer.

Irvin alerted us to the red-billed oxpeckers flying by and we could see and hear some more coming from other directions congregating mid air and then flew off in a direction. So Irvin said there might be something going on, hence we followed the birds. Then we spotted the reason why the oxpeckers were getting so excited - it was white rhine resting in the veld. We approached it slowly and tried not to disturb him, but unfortunately he picked up our scent and got up. We stayed out of sight until he moved off. At this stage our heart rate was really raising 01- and sure the rhino must have heart our hearts pumping as we were relatively close to him.

It was time to take a break and we stopped and sat on the rocks overlooking a dry riverbed where we enjoyed something to eat and cooldrink. While relaxing, we saw our elephant friend was coming down looking for water and we watched him for a while while dugging for water. It is times like this being in the bush with animals that one truly get that special feeling of becoming one with nature.

We set off through the spruit and could see that some buffalos had come down to drink water and enjoyed a mud bath during the night. We enjoyed some beautiful views which we admired on our walk like this one.

Then Irvin spotted this scratching pole and one could see the insects cemented in the dry mud on the wood.

We returned to the vehicle and headed back to camp. The sun was really baking down on us and could feel that we had enough exercise for the day. What an amazing experience to be in the veld looking an elephant and rhino in the eyes. Will definitely want to do it again some time, once our girl is old enough to qualify. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
I was thinking of stopping on page 50, but having a look back on our Sep'10 trip or should I say our 2nd ever trip to Kruger, I found some great 'moments' which were captured during our stay in the south of Kruger.

In the next couple of posts, I will share some the moments at each camp - mere a photo journey than a TR.
The first camp was Skukuza and at the camp, Elsie Clarke unit we had a visitor.

Then this Brown-hooded kingfisher also paid us a welcome visit at our unit.

Across the Sabie-river, some buffalo, but this one, I could not resist. :hmz: ....

After visited Lake Panic, we explored the Nursery area and Golf course where Pumbaa was grazing...

On our way back some kudu crossing the road.

A great view of a Burchells coucal.

...then back at Skukuza.

Our next stop was Lower Sabie with some memorable moments...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next