Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Some really great sightings and photographs here :D :thumbs_up:

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:gflower: Pumbaa and Timon :whistle: :whistle:

:D Just awesome pics TR and adventure. Thank you soooo much for sharing. :mrgreen:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Agree stunning images and sightings!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:00 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you for another beautiful episode Pumbaa and Timon! Congratulations with your first Reed Buck, as well as your first Montagu's Harrier! Brilliant pictures of them too! :clap: :clap:

Stunning pictures of the Ellies, Ostriches and BBJ in the long, green grass! And what a lovely Tawny! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

stuning pictures of the harrier and the tawny, Pumbaa :clap: :clap:

I cannot believe you saw another wild cat and jackal and on top of it a reedbuck :mrgreen:

With your luck the next raptor can only be an osprey :hmz:

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:51 am 

Hi Pumbaa, just finished reading your amazing TR. Loved every bit of it so far. I just love the quality of your pics. What kind of equipment do you use?

Photos of 2010 and 2011 Kruger trip now available on http://www.travelphotography.zenfolio.com/

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think you should rename this trip as your Afrcan Wild Cat trip! :D

Lovely pics of the 2 new lifers! Always very exciting to meet a new animal/birdie in KNP! :thumbs_up:

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Pumbaa, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: some excellent bird sightings and pics. :thumbs_up:

Just enjoyed the Montague's harrier and you have captured the pose and actions excellently.
Also enjoyed the Tawny and your interpretation “Today flying is cancelled I have to use my feet!” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great TR and look forward to next eisode. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

melph68 wrote:
My goodness Pumbaa!! :D

How exciting to see your first reedbuck and then another lifer in the form of a Montague's harrier :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I also love the photos of the ellies up to their shoulders in that soft green grass :cam:

Kruger was really treating you with some special sightings this day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Indeed it is never getting boring and still so many things to be seen - Sigh :dance:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa

What an exciting episode with so many great sightings for you, which included 2 firsts :thumbs_up:

AWC 8) ..1st Reedbuck then lifer.. Montague’s harrier ...How special. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing :popcorn: :popcorn:

And both so close after another and I still can repeat myself the S90 was rocking :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:50 pm 

isinkwe wrote:
Some really great sightings and photographs here :D :thumbs_up:

:k to you isinkwe and also thanks for your ongoing support :thumbs_up:

Philip1 wrote:
:gflower: Pumbaa and Timon :whistle: :whistle:

:D Just awesome pics TR and adventure. Thank you soooo much for sharing. :mrgreen:

Same here - Thanks so much for already travelling that long with me :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 pm 

Jan van Wyk wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Agree stunning images and sightings!!! :thumbs_up:

:D Always a pleasure and yours are also brilliant :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
Thank you for another beautiful episode Pumbaa and Timon! Congratulations with your first Reed Buck, as well as your first Montagu's Harrier! Brilliant pictures of them too! :clap: :clap:

Stunning pictures of the Ellies, Ostriches and BBJ in the long, green grass! And what a lovely Tawny! :dance: :dance:

The tawny was the best tawny sighting we ever had - So comical and a born poser :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 pm 

gatita wrote:
stuning pictures of the harrier and the tawny, Pumbaa :clap: :clap:

I cannot believe you saw another wild cat and jackal and on top of it a reedbuck :mrgreen:

With your luck the next raptor can only be an osprey :hmz:

Although raptors brought us luck and osprey did not show up at least for this year :whistle:

Giraffe wrote:
Hi Pumbaa, just finished reading your amazing TR. Loved every bit of it so far. I just love the quality of your pics. What kind of equipment do you use?

Will pm you shortly, however, thanks to much for this long read - Great to hear that you liked it :k

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:00 pm 

Bushbuddies wrote:
I think you should rename this trip as your Afrcan Wild Cat trip! :D

Lovely pics of the 2 new lifers! Always very exciting to meet a new animal/birdie in KNP! :thumbs_up:

I should have known this earlier :whistle: If so I would have not believed it :wall: That is making the trips so Kruger always worth - You never know whether it will be the 10.000 Impala or even a lifer :dance:

Kaapsedraai wrote:
Pumbaa, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: some excellent bird sightings and pics. :thumbs_up:

Just enjoyed the Montague's harrier and you have captured the pose and actions excellently.
Also enjoyed the Tawny and your interpretation “Today flying is cancelled I have to use my feet!” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great TR and look forward to next eisode. :thumbs_up:

The montague and the tawny were simply awesome to watch and we were blessed with that beautiful days of the raptors :clap: :clap: :clap: and as promised the Shipandani causeway croc is coming closer in my trip report and in realtime for you :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:02 pm 

Ngotso dam was extreme full and due to the fullness nothing could be seen besides a yellow billed kite resting in a far away tree. We meanwhile decided that due to the weather and time we could dare a day trip to Mingerhout dam and stay outside the whole day without a break in Olifants and we finally have been proved correct with that decision as not much came across nearly the whole drive until Letaba besides a couple of hippos, impalas

“Life can be so beautiful!”

and a lone grey heron and although we also stopped at the view point on the tar road we finally had plenty of time in exploring the area around Letaba although we already drove a lot that morning.

After only a short pit stop at Letaba – how I love the large trees in that camp! – we returned onto the road and drove all the lovely loops on the H1-6 until the high water bridge. Whenever driving that short stretch of the road we do remember the sightings of elephant bulls with either remarkable tusks such as Nhlanganini, Hlahleni or Nwatimbuti which peeped through the bushes on different visits here and also the shorter tusks are always showing up too and even around midday

so for us this part of the road is more and more an elephant highway.

The river itself was still flowing strongly as never seen before but the water meanwhile cleared lots of sandbanks so hippos and saddle-billed storks could be seen without even wet feet.

A short stop on the high water bridge showed clearly all the devastation after the flood earlier this year in that area and after quite a while watching into all direction we turned around and travelled along the S47

to Mingerhout dam and although the dam itself is always a bit disappointing because of dense vegetation and located too far away it is the drive on that road itself with lovely small loops and breathtaking views into the riverbed that is always attracting us back here and right in the first one we were already rewarded, as a pair of fish eagle were resting in the tree close

to where we parked and overlooking the riverbed. The only disadvantage was that we could not capture them both as they were simply too close so after Timon finally found a suitable place to position the car best he once again snapped away and could capture some comical poses – such as playing owl

or with an itch here and there.

Finally it was also time for me to take the jacket off as meanwhile it heated up again so we could travel without same although the wind was still strongly blowing but by far not that worst as the evening before or even in the early morning

but also our larger feathered friends allowed themselves a break from flying and enjoyed time together or simply did a bit day dreaming

and we simply loved their show and also enjoyed the time we all four spent together. After an enjoyable half an hour break with our fish eagles we carried on and discovered a very content and resting in himself dagga boy close to the road in a huge mud puddle.

What a great place to spend the day at least for buffaloes!

He had chosen a riverbed of a small stream finally ending into the Letaba and also we had to cross this riverbed and that was one of two parts were a 4x4 was highly recommendable as the mud was still extreme deep and slippery but it was nevertheless fun to drive through!

Right from the next loop we spotted another raptor drinking from a puddle in the riverbed – another bateleur and behind same a yummy fish already waited to be eaten which must have been obviously just caught but first the quench had to be satisfied.

But we were wrong a juvenile bateleur just landed behind the elderly and started to feed on the fish and this was another premiere was us as we never saw an adult and a juvenile together – funny was that the juvenile looked a bit larger in seize than Daddy!

Finally Dad spread his wings and flew away and let junior do its thing – Nevertheless for us it was a thrilling sighting and we carried on with happy hearts but did not come far

as soon a large group of ground hornbills was busy in crossing the street

to be continued......

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa

Wow!!! Fish Eagle and Bateleur :cam: are superb. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great pics of the Impies and of the chilling Buff. :thumbs_up:

More please :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 67  Next