Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumba,

oh yes, your little ellies are so cute :clap: :clap: :clap:

What is the name of the plant that make the "strange and strong smell"?
Does it smell good or bad?

Beautiful waterbuck portraits :cam:

And I really like your playful zebra sequence :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Back home now, and TR progressing.....slowly.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:11 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Those Ellies are awesome Pumbaa and Timon! What a busy day you had, despite the heat! I love your pictures of the Buffaloes cooling off in the river! Beautiful Zebras and a "Unicorn"! :clap: :clap:

Stunning pictures of the Waterbuck too! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Pumbaa, your photographs are simply stunning, love them :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

some stunning sightings, Pumbaa :dance: :dance: :dance:

The little ellies are very cute. I like the playful zebras as well and of course the waterbucks :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now I am looking forward to see the raptors :popcorn: :popcorn:

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa, another lovely episode. Oh my goodness that little ellie is cute. :clap: :clap: :clap:

sigh

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,

Stunning episode of all the various sightings. :thumbs_up:

Just love the Ellies the little ones are so cute when their tails are in the air when the are on the trot. :clap: :clap:

Awesome Zebra pics. :thumbs_up: ...Love the ones lying down very. 8)

Thanks for sharing. :popcorn:

Always cute to watch the ellie teenies running with their tails in the air - Just like warthogs :P

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:27 pm 

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumba,

With a friendly help I was informed that the after all very intrusive and not that comfortable smelling plant is called Hammel Stertjie (String of Stars, Wild Heliotrope) Heliotropium steudneri

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 pm 

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumba,

With a friendly help I was informed that the very intrusive and not that comfortable smelling plant is called
Hammel Stertjie (String of Stars, Wild Heliotrope) Heliotropium steudneri

In Spring time we do have a nearly similar smelling plant here and whenever passing such a "stinky" bush you will smell it for the rest of the day :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:30 pm 

hilda wrote:
Those Ellies are awesome Pumbaa and Timon! What a busy day you had, despite the heat! I love your pictures of the Buffaloes cooling off in the river! Beautiful Zebras and a "Unicorn"! :clap: :clap:

Stunning pictures of the Waterbuck too! :dance: :dance:

We loved to watch the waterbucks and the buffaloes - It is always fantastic to just sit and watch :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:31 pm 

tent dweller wrote:
Pumbaa, your photographs are simply stunning, love them :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Thanks so much to receive such nice comments - Timon is saying thanks as well :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:32 pm 

gatita wrote:
some stunning sightings, Pumbaa :dance: :dance: :dance:

The little ellies are very cute. I like the playful zebras as well and of course the waterbucks :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now I am looking forward to see the raptors :popcorn: :popcorn:

Incredible how many different raptors we saw the next day - Definitely one of the Highlights of that trip :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Pumbaa, another lovely episode. Oh my goodness that little ellie is cute. :clap: :clap: :clap:

sigh

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Well later on we got the fright of our lives when we watched an even smaller ellie..... :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:37 pm 

When we were on our way back already to camp a large group of impalas crossed the road and used a special area in the harsh vegetation around Olifants obviously as impala loo.

I do not know whether this is a usual behaviour of them but it was funny to watch as nearly each impala stopped did its thing only in that special area and carried on as if nothing happened even with oxpecker on board and dinner between the teeth.

Funny was that the storm continued to blow heavily but the sun came even out again and illuminated the next group of noisy animals which got separated due to the road and part of them were still on one side of the road and the others, most of them younger ones did not dare to cross the street due to our presence

and so I had once again the honour in admiring the squeaking and whimper of the banded mongoose once again. I really fell in love with such noises. Finally also the younger ones joined the other group and although we did no longer see them we loved it to still hear them.

Not much else came around and so we returned back to camp and whilst unpacking our car a couple of nearly tame red-winged starlings dared a look

whilst Timon dared to take a few shots of them.

Today we had to visit the restaurant because of the strong wind and obviously the rest of the camp had the same idea as same was quite full, as it looked as if it would start to rain shortly nearly every table inside the restaurant was occupied, the service was good but the food itself was simply microwave fast food which is definitely not something we like that much. Well for one evening it is okay but we already hoped that tomorrow the wind might calm down so that we can enjoy another braai with view.

After our dinner we sat still quite a while on our verandah as from far a thunderstorm could be seen and one lightning after another came down which was a nice spectacle to watch and furthermore it cooled down with every minute and so it was indeed a pleasure to sit in totally darkness with a glass of wine in reach and to watch a thunderstorm. Gladly the thunderstorm kept were same was and did not come closer and it also did not rain that night and only the sounds of strong gusts of wind and the strong flowing Olifants was nearly the last things we heard whilst slipping over into dreamland.

Thursday, 21. February, 2013 – Olifants

After we awoke the next morning we quickly checked whether it rained over night, it did not, but it was still nearly pitch dark, overcast, very windy and cold, so cold that we had to put small jackets on. If I remember correctly this happened so far only three times and compared to yesterday where the head wind was a welcome cooling against the heat today it was simply a nasty pest causing us shivering and extreme cold feet but after all it was much more bearable.

We have chosen to drive the S89/90 at least up to Bangu waterhole and to decide then whether it will still be enough time to explore the area around Letaba a bit. Although only a short drive we stopped for a quick look around at the high water bridge and spotted a fish which just caught a fish, landed on a sandbank in the Olifants and was about to pleasurably eat same as breakfast.

We watched same a while but due to the bad light did not stay that long and had to stop once again after the bridge as a large group of giraffes popped their heads out of the dense vegetation which looked indeed a bit funny.

Once again we did not come far as one car in front of us stopped, looked down to the street and made us aware not to overrun a giant land snail trying to cross the street as fast as possible.

We made the car behind us also aware of the snail and so on so hopefully same could have reached the safe shore. We turned into the S89 and also stopped again without driving that far and now we had to look up as right above a branch overhanging over the street and extreme close a beautiful bateleur could be admired.

Gladly same was so relaxed that Timon could position the car at the best so he could snap away happily without any serious wrenches and

I could drink in peace the rest of my still hot coffee and sigh about the great time we still have

but I also was a bit concerned because if we continue to drive that way and to make so many stops we could already forget about our flying visit to Letaba later that day but gladly the day just started and I could adore once again one of my favourite birds.

The only disadvantage now was that I had problems in selecting some pictures as nearly all of them came out not that bad and I had troubles in choosing the favourites.

A couple of times she started to call so I guess that there must have been another one close by.

After nearly a decade at least it felt so Timon was satisfied and we could continue and meanwhile we drove also already on the S90 coming closer to Bangu but a strange sighting made us stop again as we could watch some strange bugs/ants on the ground walking like soldiers in formation and after a while the outer “soldiers” changed with the ones marching in the centre of the formation and the ones in the back row with the ones in the first row. Maybe someone of you can help me with the id of these strange creatures which finally disappeared on the road side in the bush.

A large group of kudus could also be discovered in the high grass

and obviously were in the mode to do some running after the hot day yesterday.

Whereas all the ladies were situated on one side of the road their handsome Mr. could be found on the other side

busy in feeding on a yummy bush. Maybe he simply wanted to have time for himself as it is indeed a hard job to please all the ladies in the same way.....

Lots of ellies were also around but gladly far away and here I love the ellie between some endless green – the vegetation at that stretch of the road was lovely and once again so different compared to the rough red sand around Olifants which is making the tracing of animals in contrary a bit easier!

Another group of kudus made us stop again.

to be continued with another lifer.......

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Pumbaa, nice dive with some great sightings. :thumbs_up:

Just love the 'impala - in the moment' pic :D :D :D
Those mongoose always interesting to watch and cute.
Lovely birdies, but the Bateleur is so beautiful - remains a lovely birds to photograph. :dance:

Excellent TR. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Awesome sightings Pumbaa and Timon! I love the cute Mongoose family! :clap: :clap:

Stunning pictures of the Bateleur! What a beautiful raptor! :clap: :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 67  Next