Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Your elephant and hyena photographs are AMAZING :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:25 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

Great pics of the Hyena's. :clap: :clap: Just have to looooove the little Hyena has such cute little face, 8) reflection in the eyes. :dance: :dance:

As for the AWC :mrgreen: ..Stunning pics. :thumbs_up:

Gorgeous Ellie :cam: light is perfect. :clap: :clap:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pumbaa - please excuse me as I come and go here every now and then... :redface: Still following and absolutely love the wild cat and the hyena pups. I have seen a wild cat inside Satara camp (also no pics :slap: ) but never out there in the park itself. Lovely shots! :clap:

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
Pumbaa, amazing sightings and images.....love the Hyenas!!! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:35 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Beautiful Hyena and Ellie sightings and pictures Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

Poor limping Giraffe! He will not be able to get away from as predator! :cry:

Great AWC and Amur Falcon sightings too! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Pumbaa, what great sightings you've had! Just stunning!

Love the Hyenas, Ellies and Falocons!

So happy you saw the AWC, in camp and in the wild, double lucky!

Rhino poached 2013 - 951, 2012 - 668, 2011 - 448, 2010 - 333, 2009 - 122, 2008 - 83.
Total 2600!

Our natural heritage is being stolen from us one by one!

Make your voice heard and please support a Rhino Project!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Pumbaa, firstly want to compliment you on another great episode. :clap:

I just love the hyenas, they are interesting to watch, but sometimes could be a bit smelly. The cub is lovely and enjoyed your pics. :thumbs_up:

The birdies and ellies are also excellent. Thank you for entertaining us. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Super wildcat and falcon pics....can it get better?

We also saw the wildcat in Satara, it is nice to see such a rare animal to see at close quarters :D

John :thumbs_up:

Back again -Kruger - April 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:47 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
What great episodes I had to catch up on Pumbaa :thumbs_up:
Just love the AWC that you saw on the S90, so glad that you got them the following morning after not being able to take pics the previous night :dance:
Also the hynies that you could spend your time with, they are the most cutest doggies that the PArk has to offer... 8)
Great pics of the AmurFalcons :clap:

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

How exciting to see a wild cat IN camp and then another OUTSIDE camp as well :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also I just love Timon's photo of the cutie hyena in the grass :cam:

But now I am really looking forward to what else destiny brought you on the S90 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:52 pm 

Thanks so much for your ongoing support and comments here MM, tent dweller, trrp-trrrrrrrrr, Bushbuddies, Jan van Wyk. Hilda, Super Mongoose, Kaapsedraai, John n poppy, Heksie and melph68 :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

It was one of these days were simply everything fitted perfectly together - Sigh :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:55 pm 

Time to continue but we could not believe our luck as another African wild cat could be seen – unbelievable – there we drove already thousands of kilometres through Kruger and KTP on nine different trips so far and no wild cat appeared and now we already saw three of them on nearly one day

but I have to correct me this was a mom with two nearly grown kitten so now I had to increase the figure up to five! Unfortunately at that part of the road the grass was far too high to take decent pictures of the mom so we only got a head shot of mom after fumbling a bit with the camera settings

and from the kittens we only saw the feline shapes of two smaller ones – It looked as if all of them were on the hunt for some breakfast but needless to say we were already thrilled today.

Finally one of the cars we showed already the wild cat on the tar road reached us and now we pointed the next one to them and they also could not believe their luck. A pity was that from where we parked I realized further down on the road and right in the middle a kori bustard and I would have loved to take a picture of this impressive bird in full size without any disturbing grass but when we finally left the wild cats other cars already chased it from the road.

Elephant bulls occurred now from nearly everywhere and one of them was wearing a nice set of tusks

and as all of them were in good mood and far enough away we allowed us extensive photo stops

This one was obviously a bit shy and tried to hide behind or in a bush which was far small for him or obviously his morning toilette was not yet finished.

Only one hour passed since we left the gate and we had already so many stunning sightings and after leaving the elephant bulls we already could see from far three cars close together. We slowly approached them and realized that all of them where looking to the right side of the road where a couple of black backed jackals where running around but out of the twinkle of my eye I saw on the left hand side a couple of golden heads popped one after the other out of the grass and whilst reaching the other cars I said only jokingly to them: “Did you see the lions on the other side?”

You cannot believe how fast the jackals had been forgotten and the race started to get the best position to observe the lions best! That comes close to the sighting in camp when all people where running behind the honey badger!

In total we have been four cars the whole time this sighting lasted and no car neither from North nor from South turned up and after finally each car found a sufficient spot to observe the lions best a pleasant silence surrounded us and it was simply a breathtaking morning.

Somehow the lioness looked a bit bleary-eyed it was obviously a long and hard night.....

but also the other visible members of the pride did not look better either all of them looked more than a bit exhausted.

Once again at that time of the year the grass was a again a challenge and we simply had to be patient that one was willing to show up.

Gladly by birth cats are curious and so it took not that long until also the first smaller heads could be seen and we have been eyed suspiciously.

Close to where this golden kitten observed us there was a small elevation on which already a slightly smaller cub could be seen and so it lasted not long until our copious observer joined the one on the hill so that the surveillance of the strange metal boxes could continue from there a bit more detailed.

“I can see you!”

We never experienced a better behaviour at a lion sighting than here – No hectic driving with the car to find a better position and no loud talking – Everyone was simply happy that the lions allowed us to watch them and on top the sun was brilliant and even showed up from the right direction.

“Man, was it a hard night!”

Under nearly each bush we could spot a lion or even part of one and it must have been a large pride consisting of around 10 – 15 members in total with a couple of different old cubs between them

and gladly the smaller ones did not get bored in watching us excessively.

to be continued with a very special performance.......

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:05 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: What amazing sightings so early in the morning. :thumbs_up:

AWC is gorgeous....then those Lions are stunning, you are right light was perfect..they really are so inquisitive but sooooo cute. :clap: :clap: :clap: ...The long grass actually does something great to the pics I like it. :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:49 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What an awesome AWC sighting/s Pumbaa and Timon! And those huge Elephant bulls! Gorgeous! :clap: :clap:

Your Lion sighting is so special, undescribable! Absolutely stunning! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Pumbaa,

the kitties are so cute. Thx for these wonderful pix :gflower:

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 67  Next